Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Coolangatta

Premiership Player
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Should do. Not sure if they’ll fit with the 200kg loaded up though.

Ah. I suppose later on down the track I could add more big plates to make more space? The overall loading capacity of that barbell should still be pretty great.

Edit: Yeah up to 454kg.

go you pups

Hall of Famer
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
I really need a new barbell to progress my training in the long term. I was thinking of using my tax refund + extra to splurge on this set. My only concern is this: are those plates going to fit on my trap bar fine?

Because I want to eventually use my trap bar, too, once my renovations are complete and I create more space in my workout room. I also want to get some microplates that will fit my trap bar and Olympic barbell once I get one.

Verves prices have absolutely skyrocketed, happy to help look around for a better deal elsewhere if you want

Coolangatta

Premiership Player
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Verves prices have absolutely skyrocketed, happy to help look around for a better deal elsewhere if you want

Thanks, mate, that would be appreciated. Strangely enough, I was close to making the purchase yesterday + micro plates but held off. I've looked elsewhere but the prices seem pretty high so far from what I've seen.

Coolangatta

Premiership Player
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Thoughts on my exercise selections? My eating and sleeping schedule is all over the place and I just haven't been able to nail down a program for a while. I'm going to go for a while of just not writing anything down (speaking of which, does anyone write down their set/reps/weight numbers before they workout?).

I just want to focus on volume or intensity for a while, maybe a mixture of both if I'm not stupid. But basically my "program" intent is 666, so three full-body workouts.

I'm trying to hit everything. Some feedback would be appreciated.

Day 1
Main: Zercher
Supp 1: Incline DB Press*
Supp 2: Barbell Rows
Accessory: Close Grip DB Press, Curls, Lying Leg Raises

Day 2
Main: Deadlift
Supp 1: Overhead Press*
Supp 2: T-Bar Rows*
Accessory: Push-Ups, Bulgarian Split Squats, DB Calf Raises

Day 3
Supp 1: Incline DB Press
Accessory: Close Grip DB Press, Curls, Romanian deads

*Might alternate T-Bar and Meadows and OHP with Incline DB Press.

Last edited:

Jugada

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
What's the thought process with doing a little bit of everything every day rather than just set muscle groups?

Deliverance

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thoughts on my exercise selections? My eating and sleeping schedule is all over the place and I just haven't been able to nail down a program for a while. I'm going to go for a while of just not writing anything down (speaking of which, does anyone write down their set/reps/weight numbers before they workout?).

I just want to focus on volume or intensity for a while, maybe a mixture of both if I'm not stupid. But basically my "program" intent is 666, so three full-body workouts.

I'm trying to hit everything. Some feedback would be appreciated.

Day 1
Supp 1: Incline DB Press*
Accessory: Close Grip DB Press, Curls, Lying Leg Raises

Day 2
Main: Deadlift
Supp 1: Overhead Press*
Supp 2: T-Bar Rows*
Accessory: Push-Ups, Bulgarian Split Squats, DB Calf Raises

Day 3
Supp 1: Incline DB Press
Accessory: Close Grip DB Press, Curls, Romanian deads

*Might alternate T-Bar and Meadows and OHP with Incline DB Press.
Try a double skullcrusher/close grip DB combo for a solid triceps burn

Last edited:

Coolangatta

Premiership Player
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Try a double skullcrusher/close grip DB combo for a solid triceps burn

Thanks. Will do.

Had a good workout today, did my day 2 one + 30 lying leg raises.

I only did Bulgarian split squats on each side with one DB though, holding on to the bench with my free hand. I used the same weight I did when I tried to use two DBs though and it felt way too easy. Did 3 sets of 12 reps. I was thinking of upping it to about 20kg next time.

go you pups

Hall of Famer
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Thanks, mate, that would be appreciated. Strangely enough, I was close to making the purchase yesterday + micro plates but held off. I've looked elsewhere but the prices seem pretty high so far from what I've seen.
I see you posted about buying from Sams too, I would buy from them over Verve. I've used Sams since mid 2020 and they only recently had a price increase on their non ATX equipment, but Little Bloke Fitness who I've regularly used for nearly a year for pick up/walk ins did too on plates/dumbbells, so asked the LBF guys and they said shipping containers went up 2.5x the normal price to be shipped, so the price of a few things had to increase to cover costs (think main one was dumbbells went from $3.50 to $4.20 per kilo, but even at $4.20pk they're still better than many suppliers going at $4.50-$5-$6pk)

I see Sams has a couple of barbells and budget bumpers available, I have the 150kg black set from him, I reviewed it a month or 2 ago after 12 months use, the only fault I have with them is the 25s are too thick and awkward to carry, I will only use them to load my cable tower for heavy lat pulldowns or heavy benching, so will grab the 100kg set (also available right now) next time I'm in for bumpers once my deadlift goes up enough, but they're durable and do the job, I normally just use the 20s, 15s and 10s for a bulk of my lifts. The plates will fit your Verve trap bar fine, I have like 4 different brands of bars/plates and they all fit fine with one another

That Mavrik bar Verve sells for their bar and bumper packages would be their entry level bar and one that you'd likely want to upgrade on eventually. I'd spend a little more on a good bar and buy an ATX bar from Sams and his budget bumpers and you get a far better quality bar that will have decent resale value. I see they have 2 ATX bars available at the moment the powerlifting competition bar with red end caps (sharper knurling and centre knurling) vs the Chrome powerlifting bar which has no centre knurl and is a bit more passive on the grip. Either bar would serve you well for a long time, all depends on what you plan to use it for or if you feel you need a grippier bar, I have a budget power bar myself but want one with sharper knurling eventually, but yeah

Basically with those 2 ATX bars

If you want to continue with your power movements and eventually get a squat rack to back squat out of, then I'd go with the competition bar as it's grippier and has the centre knurling

The Chrome bar would be similar to the bar I currently use and would be a reasonable allrounder, Chrome generally holds up well too.

Then you could get those microplates from Sams also and save on shipping getting them all together perhaps? The Power Maxx bar would do the job too, probably better than the Mavrik also.

go you pups

Hall of Famer
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
I requested a notification for when this is in stock. Bugger it, it's worth it. Still cheaper than the Verve equivalent. I can always buy some 25s and fractional plates later on. The set + the bar is 177.5kg. That'll keep me busy for a while.

Yeah nice

Apparently those plates are a really tight fit (I think my brothers work uses them plus a guy on YouTube called Simmply Fit recently reviewed them also, they seem to rate them), but yeah it's a way higher quality option than what Verve was offering imo

Rogue has stuff in stock too, but a similar set of powerlifting plates and an Ohio power bar will cost closer to 2k with shipping

I'm a renter, so I generally stick to rubberised plates (bumpers or trigrips), but if I had my own training place and a bit more room to move around in I would invest in either Rogues powerlifting plates or those ATXs

go you pups

Hall of Famer
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Trying to implement barbell rows again in the routine

I perhaps figured out where I was going wrong in late 2020 with them

Back then I wasn't sumo deadlifting, I was only doing RDLs

So I have a feeling the BB rows contributed to tight hips I copped over Xmas due to the strain put on bracing my core in the exercise and probably using suboptimal form/weight as the lower back/hips weren't as strong then.

Now I have over 9 months of sumos in me, I figured I may as well give it a crack again

Did 3x8 at 70kgs taking it out of the rack instead of deadlifting off the floor, had a similar stance to RDLs, the hip largely felt ok, but was feeling the left side after the last set, though I think next week I'll go with a slightly wider stance which will put me a little more upright, but I'll see how I go

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad