Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Finding legs progressing much easier than upper body but I guess years of soccer contributes here? Need to do more glute work though, just have no confidence in my back to deadlift

Shoulders seem to pinch on chest and shoulder presses which isn't ideal. DB better or worse for this? Assume better but benches always taken when I go so just resort to machines

Edit: Also finding I need to eat more. Costing me a fortune though lol

Last edited:
I am seriously considering ditching leg work forever. I am like, what's the point?

Nobody sees it. Nobody cares. I am not making any progress. My legs barely fit into pants. My calves are too big to take clothes off easily. I am tempted just to give it up and do chest 6 days a week!

I am seriously considering ditching leg work forever. I am like, what's the point?

Nobody sees it. Nobody cares. I am not making any progress. My legs barely fit into pants. My calves are too big to take clothes off easily. I am tempted just to give it up and do chest 6 days a week!
I think pants/chinos are so poorly made these days. I don't have big legs, especially calves, yet they're always tight AF

Never mind the fact I can never find any long enough. Gave up and wear colourful socks now so it looks intentional for short pants lol

I'm a weird Monday leg day guy, mostly because I ride to work Wednesday and Friday and I need the recovery.
Recently bought a cheap fixie and that gets the legs pumping on the hills anyway.

I'm a weird Monday leg day guy, mostly because I ride to work Wednesday and Friday and I need the recovery.
Recently bought a cheap fixie and that gets the legs pumping on the hills anyway.
See, i want to just take the train instead of any lower body work ;)

Finding legs progressing much easier than upper body but I guess years of soccer contributes here?
More muscle fibres = more room for improvement.

Need to do more glute work though, just have no confidence in my back to deadlift
Unless you completely avoid picking anything up off the floor you’re already doing a form of deadlift.

If anyone wants to see.

157.5kg 4 weeks ago.

No deload, benched 152.5kg for a PB a few mins earlier.

155kg last Saturday.

150kg 2 weeks ago.

147.5kg double last night.

Very fatigued, cruisy sessions till Saturday but I know I can grind a rep! 😂

That’s great!

And max gawn is spotting you!

So wide. My arms would snap with such a wide grip

If you think that’s wide should see the girls with half his arm length using the same hand placement lol.
And fwiw only know of one guy breaking his arm benching (when not in a bench shirt) and we suspect he had a pre-existing micro fracture from a car accident (he then re-broke it squatting).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not really a fan personally as it's not how I would enjoy working out and the potential for injury seems higher without having any actual data to support that.

I also think his premise is over simplified. Like yes he only did one or two working sets but still did a reasonable amount of build up to 75% and then his actual set was well beyond failure to what anyone would actually do. Just rolling up and doing one set to most people's typical failure wouldn't net the same outcome

Being on the juice obviously going to help with the recovery needed too

Some people get results and then just get set in the idea that that is the correct way to train when realistically there are endless ways to train that will end up with pretty similar results

No different to someone who does heavy weights for a few reps vs people doing less weight for a lot of reps. Just find whatever your sweet spot is for what you enjoy doing

No good, maybe next time.

Actually think I gave up a bit early. The more I rewatch it and zoom in, the more I can see it still moving very slowly but it legitimately just felt like gravity had won and I was stuck in the one spot.

Left my chest a lot quicker than I expected which is good. Might need some more exposure to 155+ singles.

We have this machine and tried doing some squats with it and tbh just felt wrong and almost a bit stupid..

Also literally never seen anyone else ever use it in over a year.

Benched 152.5kg today to comp standards.

Squatting again, only 120kg for 7’s this week but pain free.

Will deadlift again this week coming for the first time in a month.

Have an MRI scan to get, back pain is gone but getting sharp shooting pain in my right hamstring from glute/hamstring join down to just above my knee ditch whenever I load that leg in a hinge position, assuming some nerve/sciatic pain, see what the MRI shows.
Got the results yesterday, have a low grade hamstring tear at the hamstring origin.

Sending me for a cortisone or saline injection. Anyone had experience with these?

Finally got myself a hyperextension bench, has been a godsend last few days, not getting in much training as I'm working 50-60 hour weeks currently, but definitely jumping on that early in the morning or late at night makes a difference at work

Finally got myself a hyperextension bench, has been a godsend last few days, not getting in much training as I'm working 50-60 hour weeks currently, but definitely jumping on that early in the morning or late at night makes a difference at work
Would be interested to know what your routine looks like.

Not that I’m changing mine, I love my set up for sets/reps scheme and adapt well when I have to now, better than I have before.

But I’m still interested in what minimalist routines others do to keep at it.

My new job has made going to the gym a nightmare. So tired after the work and the commute that i've been skipping most days and yesterday was 25 mins of pure hell before i packed it in :(

Started doing Trap bar deadlifts 2 weeks ago, but strained my quad doing squats so I took a break. Went back yesterday to the trap bar even with a niggling quad strain and it didn't affect it at all whereas squats do. Not sure why it didn't bother me.

Bit disappointed as I did a heavy grip workout the day before and lost grip on 143KG could only manage a set of five but I still need to build the mid body strength to match anyway. I didn't bring my home made liquid chalk with me.

Hoping to push out 160KG next week.

I might be plateauing on DB Bench smashed out 35kg X 5.5 reps because I start on the down not the up. then failed with 37.5 and finished with 32.5 X 8 because the 35s were being used. Not sure if I should at least attempt the 37.5s next week, or deload and bench focus from 27.5KG.

Thoughts?

Would be interested to know what your routine looks like.

Not that I’m changing mine, I love my set up for sets/reps scheme and adapt well when I have to now, better than I have before.

But I’m still interested in what minimalist routines others do to keep at it.
Mainly just doing posterior chain and mobility/stretching last few weeks

Nothing more than 15-20 minutes, but enough to keep me right for long slogs at work, sometimes just a 5 minute foam roll/stretch is all I can do but it's better than nothing. RDLs and hyperextensions/hyperextension holds are my main exercises I will do in that regard

My next major purchase will be a trap bar though, so I'll add them in eventually too

Just finished a proper push session though, gunna go hard over the long weekend, try get in a Wednesday/Thursday session then build on this weekend next weekend

Ideally I would train 4 days a week, 2 pull and 2 push sessions

1 pull session would be deadlift oriented/posterior chain etc, the other would be standard rows and pulldowns etc

1 push session would be primarily a bench/chest day, the other would be primarily shoulders/triceps and I'd probably throw in some rear delt/upper back stuff too

I might be plateauing on DB Bench smashed out 35kg X 5.5 reps because I start on the down not the up. then failed with 37.5 and finished with 32.5 X 8 because the 35s were being used. Not sure if I should at least attempt the 37.5s next week, or deload and bench focus from 27.5KG.

Thoughts?
I'd probably drop the weight back and up the reps for a bit along with concentrating on form, then have another go at it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back