Player Watch Henry Schade (Delisted 2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the point you're making here is still a reasonable one, but Witts' ND selection number (67) is rather irrelevant as he came directly onto the list as a NSW Scholarship Player, i.e. no other club had access to him.

Yep, could easily have been added straight to the rookie list under the scholarship rules but that only magnifies my point.

^This 100%. It was mooted in his draft year that he would have likely gone early in his draft year had he not been a part of the scholarship program. GWS were quite dirty that they missed him being an academy player by 12 months.

And where he could have gone in an open draft and who felt what changes the fact that he was pick 67 in the national draft exactly how?

Yeah, Sheedy had quite a bit to say, claiming it would have been good to see a local boy playing for the new Sydney team. We were one of the clubs that took the scholarship scheme seriously, seemingly put a fair bit into it, and at least got some reward out of it.

There were a lot of players selected by clubs under the scheme, just not too many success stories. Tex Walker likely the pick of them.

There were a lot of players selected by clubs under the scheme, just not too many success stories. Tex Walker likely the pick of them.
Yes, pretty clearly the best of an ordinary bunch. Would have been handy for us had we picked him up.
Yep, could easily have been added straight to the rookie list under the scholarship rules but that only magnifies my point.
I can't remember just why it was that we didn't put Witts onto the rookie list first, perhaps he insisted we put him on the main list or he'd go into the draft.

I'm still a bit puzzled with what you're saying, however, as I thought you meant that Witts didn't have much value when he was first put onto our (primary) list (yet some felt that we had pulled off a coup in snaring him) and that Schade was well regarded when he was drafted, then roles were reversed with Witts becoming more valuable while Schade was given away.

Yes, pretty clearly the best of an ordinary bunch. Would have been handy for us had we picked him up.

I can't remember just why it was that we didn't put Witts onto the rookie list first, perhaps he insisted we put him on the main list or he'd go into the draft.

I'm still a bit puzzled with what you're saying, however, as I thought you meant that Witts didn't have much value when he was first put onto our (primary) list (yet some felt that we had pulled off a coup in snaring him) and that Schade was well regarded when he was drafted, then roles were reversed with Witts becoming more valuable while Schade was given away.

Not a comment on the quality of the individual players, just an observation on the shift in worth. I'm on record as a huge Witts fan and hugely disappointed he's moved on.

And where he could have gone in an open draft and who felt what changes the fact that he was pick 67 in the national draft exactly how?
If you can't work it out then there's no point explaining it.

Henry is my roughie to unexpectedly play a bit of seniors this year. It's a well and truly open race for the full back position. Could come from anywhere.

Could McCarlty or McCarthy surprise and have a Real Crack at the Spot Early in the Season?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where's the OP info Dave? If I knew more about the guy I might be able to guess his chances of playing a game this year! :rolleyes:

I had Double Post and Mods choose the one I did not have the Tweet in the Merge into

Could McCarlty or McCarthy surprise and have a Real Crack at the Spot Early in the Season?

I would like to see McClarty developed steadily in the VFL. I reckon he's a year off seniors. McCarthy is very speculative and if things go well with his development is still probably a couple of years off. Key position players take longer. Especially those taken outside the first round.

Dont mind this pick..The kid could potentially still improve at his age.Has a nice height about him. Personally would rather him get first crack in the seniors before Dunn. Just for his size age and potential upside.

Be a real surprise if we see either in the seniors in 2017. Would mean either that they've put together some irresistible footy (which would be fantastic) or we've been decimated by injuries again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back