Player Watch Kayle Kirby (Delisted 2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

In regards to KK, I think we need to be careful not to er on the side of casual racism by implying he has a lack of work-ethic, or has deep personal issues - nothing we have read or heard is evidence to this sort of conversation.
His state screening was described by draft pundits as "shithouse". It's fair to question his work ethic at this stage, and up to him to answer in kind. Most kids who aspire to play AFL and are invited to a state screening will make an effort to get in shape prior, and improve their chances of getting drafted.

In saying this, I understand that had he been in shape, he wouldn't have been available at our third selection.

On deep personal issues I agree with you, that goes beyond the pale.

His state screening was described by draft pundits as "shithouse". It's fair to question his work ethic at this stage, and up to him to answer in kind. Most kids who aspire to play AFL and are invited to a state screening will make an effort to get in shape prior, and improve their chances of getting drafted.

I'm not one to get in a debate on BF - we're all entitled to our opinion, and each is as valid as the next.

But if I may, can you flick me a source of the article where the "shithouse" remarks originate?
Also is there a record of his combine results that show just how "shithouse" he was?

Finally, I'm not overly comfortable drawing conclusions such as, poor condition = no work ethic. There's so many more factors than that.

Everyone will be patient that's a given and it also works to our favour because if he was in good nick there's no way he lasts until our third selection.

bucksisbest was spot on though with how poorly that presents and the club will rightfully tear him a new one if he formally runs a time anywhere near that.

IMO, there's no right or wrong to this and I'm not trying to change anyone's mind here, but as far as I'm concerned tender love and care can bugger off because its tough love that's really needed. The character references I've read indicate he'll cop it sweet if that's how it plays out.

Tough love is no good if he injures himself. My concern is we push him too hard physically and he breaks down. Too many of our draft picks have had their first few years interrupted with injury. Rather us be a little bit cautious on this one.

But if I may, can you flick me a source of the article where the "shithouse" remarks originate?
Also is there a record of his combine results that show just how "shithouse" he was?

Finally, I'm not overly comfortable drawing conclusions such as, poor condition = no work ethic. There's so many more factors than that.
Not an article, was a comment made by a draftnik on SEN's live coverage of the draft on Friday night.

Also, I didn't draw a conclusion, I said Kirby's work ethic can be fairly called into question based upon his state screening results, which it can and should be until he can prove there is some other reason as to why I can run a better 2km time than he did, as an opening split of a 5km run up and down hills as I approach middle age.

That can be quickly improved providing he's never been taught how to run, middle distance (like long distance) running needs to be learnt, if his breathing is up the s**t he will take large slices off his current 2k time once he learns to breath and relax and get into a rhythm.

Yep can be turned around definitely and will come down quickly, but unfortunately it's a time that would make most park footballers blush.

Tough love is no good if he injures himself. My concern is we push him too hard physically and he breaks down. Too many of our draft picks have had their first few years interrupted with injury. Rather us be a little bit cautious on this one.

Are you suggesting Daveron et al are unable to manage a players workloads efficiently whilst simultaneously getting the message across that they're fitness isn't up to standard and avoid injury?

Given some of the amatuer hour stuff we've seen from them its understandable, but knowing how they treated a player this pre-season who didn't return as they'd expected I'm confident about which way it will go.

Not an article, was a comment made by a draftnik on SEN's live coverage of the draft on Friday night.

Also, I didn't draw a conclusion, I said Kirby's work ethic can be fairly called into question based upon his state screening results, which it can and should be until he can prove there is some other reason as to why I can run a better 2km time than he did, as an opening split of a 5km run up and down hills as I approach middle age.

I've dug a little deeper on this.. Please have a read of the below article, and skip down to Pick 48.

You will see that KK didn't even run a Beep or TT at the combine due to back stiffness.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2016/11/14/top-50-prospects-for-2016-afl-draft-26-50/

My point is - whilst we are all allowed an opinion, let's slow it down a little, and stop recycling unfounded information as fact.

I have a new favourite player. Really want him to succeed. Go well young man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've dug a little deeper on this.. Please have a read of the below article, and skip down to Pick 48.

You will see that KK didn't even run a Beep or TT at the combine due to back stiffness.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2016/11/14/top-50-prospects-for-2016-afl-draft-26-50/

My point is - whilst we are all allowed an opinion, let's slow it down a little, and stop recycling unfounded information as fact.
He didn't get an invite to the combine.

It was also said that he ran a 2.95 at the state screening which was amongst the fastest times recorded on the day, so the 3.05 sounds very wrong. I think someone somewhere has done a shoddy copy/paste job.

No way. That will result in the whole site stopping to a stand still, which will mean that advertising revunue will disappear. The likely end game is some poor buggers being unable to feed their children, resulting in a wide spread crime spree of theft and petty reprisals, which will undermine the nation's tenuous social balance.

Maybe so, but he did a 2km TT last week in 9mins 36seconds.

Not exactly the results of a bloke who has worked his ass off.

Doesn't preclude him from anything once he gets in an elite environment though. I'm backing him and the club in.

Further to this, this is the source for the 2km TT run a week ago, not at the state screening, which was nonetheless described as shithouse anyway.

I don't see how 3.05 could have been the third fastest 20m sprint run at the state screening (as lauded by Leon Harris), so I think those quoted numbers in your link are dubious... they probably don't do him justice.

Further to this, this is the source for the 2km TT run a week ago, not at the state screening, which was nonetheless described as shithouse anyway.

I don't see how 3.05 could have been the third fastest 20m sprint run at the state screening (as lauded by Leon Harris), so I think those quoted numbers in your link are dubious... they probably don't do him justice.

http://www.topendsports.com/sport/afl/testing-draft-results-2016-state.htm

I think the 3.05 is on the money, but it certainly wasn't top three.

Cheers for that... well I'm not sure when he was meant to have put in this decent sprint. Anyway, he looks quick in his highlights, and endurance is highly modifiable... hopefully he smashes it.

Who does a TT the week leading into ND? It certainly wouldn't have been completed under supervision of anyone with Club credentials.
Smells a bit odd to me.. I'd like to see the source Rusty Beam has on this statement.

Anyway, I'm sure everyone is sick of reading our very respectful conversation, haha!

He's from Tyntynder and he was in a Pub when he was drafted.
Clearly his nickname should be Tinnie.
The last bloke who liked a beer done alright

375Ml-Wa-Swan-Draught-Cheers-To-150-_1.jpg

The last bloke who liked a beer done alright

375Ml-Wa-Swan-Draught-Cheers-To-150-_1.jpg

Boy if he winds up half as good as Lewis I'll be a happy man!!

Edit: I think a few will miss that one. Chris Lewis was drinking a Swan Draught on the premiership dias in 1992.

Last edited:
Kayle is not even fat, Willi rioli was borederline obese last year.
Exactly my point, should have explained better. Willi turned himself around from a worse point than Kayle so it would be easier for Kayle to get into shape.

I'm not one to get in a debate on BF - we're all entitled to our opinion, and each is as valid as the next.

Was on SEN

Remove this Banner Ad

Back