Player Watch #44 Sydney Stack

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney Stack is truly amazing

The confidence and his courage to play like he does in his 1st year is freaky , There are players that have been in the system 4 years that have not had so much confidence to even think about doing the things he does.

Balta , Bolton , Stack , Baker , Garthwaite have all been fantastic this year playing the way they are
My thoughts exactly...SS is a Gun! Sorry _GUN! :)

Amazing ball handling skills in the wet last night from Sydney. Him and Sheds stood out in that area.

War dance by Sydney was outstanding- watch that take off amongst the other indigenous players next year.

Dimma was asked at his presser about his harsh words with Stack at Thursday training and he said he was out of line and had apologised. He said you don’t talk to anyone like that especially someone you are close to. Very important role Dimma plays in Stacks success

Amazing ball handling skills in the wet last night from Sydney. Him and Sheds stood out in that area.

War dance by Sydney was outstanding- watch that take off amongst the other indigenous players next year.

Dimma was asked at his presser about his harsh words with Stack at Thursday training and he said he was out of line and had apologised. He said you don’t talk to anyone like that especially someone you are close to. Very important role Dimma plays in Stacks success

What was he yelling at him about

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit of an unpopular opinion but I've always been against individual player bakes being shown on TV like that regardless of who it is. Team sprays is fine and they are generally good to see, but a coach singling a player out should be kept off the tapes.

Imagine a player who has kids copping a spray.. Kids seeing their dad getting screamed at like that? Not something you want your child seeing imo

What I saw wasn't much of a spray, it was a coach telling a player in no uncertain terms he was late and it better not happen again, ever! Perhaps what I saw was edited, but it looked like it was taken from outside the fence and they were somewhere near the middle of the oval, so I'm tipping Dimma had little awareness that some tool could capture that. I also think that having lived under Dimma's roof, Dimma kinda gets the kid and it was tough love. I also believe Stacky has had much worse said to him already in his life and took it well.

As for children seeing it, you think children should be immune from seeing a parent be reprimanded for something as benign as this? Police won't even give it a second thought when pulling a car over for speeding with a family in it, for example. The parallels are a great tool to discuss with children anyway. Of course the age (which you haven't covered) has different perspectives.

Last edited:
War dance was very impressive considering this was his first dreamtime match. Pretty special moment.

I know it is an extension of a footy game so he has some comfort already at being out there, but to be out there doing that pre-game in front of your peers and AT YOUR COMPETITION at just 19 years of age, participating in a ceremony that is obviously important to him - you just have to say WOW! As much as his imperfect past has affected him negatively at times, I think he'll reflect someday at how rich it has made him as a competitor, by having such bravado! (For this reason I love listening to Gilbert McAdam's story).

Last edited:
Loved Sydney's dance, not only for him personally but as a statement of just how far our footy club has come,
Through most of the 35 year Grand Final drought we intimindated no one and we were intimindated by most.
Apart from Richo we were all so introverted... now we have personality to burn.
It's apt that it was against Essendon as I remember the late 90's, early 2000's Essendon teams treating us with contempt as we had no real physicallity apart from blokes who had no real footy ability... now we have Reiwoldt, Martin, Rance, Nankervis, Lynch, Caddy, Higgins, Stack, Cotchin, Vlaustin to name a few that are in your face and CAN play.
It started when Cotch got in the faces of Mitchell, Hodge and Lewis a few years back!

I'm hanging out for SS to start in the midfield...reckon he is going to be a revelation! Especially if he continues those speccies!

The footy world is in envy of Geelong picking up Tim Kelly - can't wait to see Kelly and Stack go head to head in the years to come!

Loved Sydney's dance, not only for him personally but as a statement of just how far our footy club has come,
Through most of the 35 year Grand Final drought we intimindated no one and we were intimindated by most.
Apart from Richo we were all so introverted... now we have personality to burn.
It's apt that it was against Essendon as I remember the late 90's, early 2000's Essendon teams treating us with contempt as we had no real physicallity apart from blokes who had no real footy ability... now we have Reiwoldt, Martin, Rance, Nankervis, Lynch, Caddy, Higgins, Stack, Cotchin, Vlaustin to name a few that are in your face and CAN play.
It started when Cotch got in the faces of Mitchell, Hodge and Lewis a few years back!
clapping.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back