2nds West Coast Eagles WAFL Watch 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't rate him last year as anything other than maybe a rookie pick and think if we hadn't selected him where we did he still would have made it to the rookie draft but I think we've found one in Johnston. Will take a couple of years but very happy with his progress.

Sheed played poorly, Ryan from HB could be a very good move for the team. Was a clear level above but was cooked fitness wise by the end of the third. I'd be very tempted to start him next week at AFL level and tactically sub him out. Even if we end up with an injury i'd still do it and just give him longer spells on the bench particularly in the second half.

Hall still looks a few weeks away, Trew seemingly performing at his level, a long term very good WAFL player.

My impression of Johnston in the WAFL preseason games was that while he clearly had natural ability and skill and was getting to the right places, he just seemed to lack a bit of composure and hadn't adjusted to the pace of WAFL yet - would often miss fairly simple kicks and handballs, seemed like he thought he was under more pressure than he actually was.

Watching him on the weekend I think he's clearly taking steps forward and is becoming more comfortable at WAFL level. Thought he was pretty tidy with his disposal and covered the ground well on the wing.

He's also shown a real knack of hitting the scoreboard - kicked 2 goals in a couple of the WAFL preseason games and on the weekend kicked 2.1.

Not sure he's quite ready for AFL level just yet but I think in time he could turn into a really skilful and evasive winger for us.

Also thought Jamaine Jones worked into the game nicely on Sunday and ended up being one of our best. Started a little shaky but got more involved as the game went on and was tidier with his disposal. He's looked out of sorts this year so hopefully he takes confidence from this performance and can build on it in the coming weeks.

Trew has now kicked a goal in each of his last 3 WAFL games and is up around that 25 disposal mark. Was our best WAFL mid for the second week in a row.

I'd like to see us reward this form but he's an inside mid and it's hard to see how we'll fit him in at AFL level with the Yeo/Reid/Kelly/Ginbey mix working really well together at the moment. Don't think there's any point picking him if he'll just play on a wing or a forward flank.

Was also nice to see Jason Gillbee get a bit more of the footy - had 17 touches and a goal.

For those that watched the game, was there a reason Culley was so quiet? I’d love to see Hall come in, but I guess he may have to wait with a bit of healthy competition for midfield spots at the moment - which is a great thing
he played alright. Except his kicking was a bit dodgy, his 3 scores were all gettable goals

For those that watched the game, was there a reason Culley was so quiet? I’d love to see Hall come in, but I guess he may have to wait with a bit of healthy competition for midfield spots at the moment - which is a great thing

Gavin Bell said on Duffield’s show this morning that Culley tweaked his ankle during the game without saying when it occurred

Didn’t sound too serious as he’s hoping Jai will be available this weekend

Culley's also playing as a lead up forward. Could've kicked 3 goals if he was more accurate.

Highlights from the WAFL win

Two things -
1) Looking at the box score throughout we actually fell a decent margin behind (~4 goals) on a couple of occasions so full credit to the lads for hanging in there
2) Ryan charging through the middle and delivering perfectly inside 50 was a sight to behold.

There’s also a bit of an interview post match with Ryan

Highlights from the WAFL win

Two things -
1) Looking at the box score throughout we actually fell a decent margin behind (~4 goals) on a couple of occasions so full credit to the lads for hanging in there
2) Ryan charging through the middle and delivering perfectly inside 50 was a sight to behold.

There’s also a bit of an interview post match with Ryan

Sheeds disposal by foot looked rusty. 😬

A bit frustrating to see Ryan had to call a man in to lay a shepherd for him on a run from halfback and the play ended up breaking down. I don't know what it is but we seem to make things so much harder for ourselves a lot of the time because no one does the basic things.

A bit frustrating to see Ryan had to call a man in to lay a shepherd for him on a run from halfback and the play ended up breaking down. I don't know what it is but we seem to make things so much harder for ourselves a lot of the time because no one does the basic things.

80% of the AFL doesn't shepherd anymore, instead they run alongside their teammate with the ball waiting to receive and putting them under pressure.

The Reid from the centre bounce replay from the weekend we've all seen a thousand times; BWilliams could've given him even more space by putting some body on Nankervis, but stands there like a stunned mullet then clicks and gets half a forearm across him instead.

It's quickly becoming a lost art - it doesn't need to be a bone-jarring bump, just get in the way and slow the opposition down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

80% of the AFL doesn't shepherd anymore, instead they run alongside their teammate with the ball waiting to receive and putting them under pressure.

The Reid from the centre bounce replay from the weekend we've all seen a thousand times; BWilliams could've given him even more space by putting some body on Nankervis, but stands there like a stunned mullet then clicks and gets half a forearm across him instead.

It's quickly becoming a lost art - it doesn't need to be a bone-jarring bump, just get in the way and slow the opposition down.
yeah i think its the coaches emphasizing the value of providing options rather than letting someone run with the ball. I hate it. its easier to stuff something up the more possessions you make. Its also much better having a quality player with the ball than a bit part player.

I mean, remember Rowan Jones getting in the team and his job was pretty much clearing a path for Judd and Cousins? He was the worst with the ball though, i remember him missing a set shot from goal from like 5 metres out.

yeah i think its the coaches emphasizing the value of providing options rather than letting someone run with the ball. I hate it. its easier to stuff something up the more possessions you make. Its also much better having a quality player with the ball than a bit part player.

I mean, remember Rowan Jones getting in the team and his job was pretty much clearing a path for Judd and Cousins? He was the worst with the ball though, i remember him missing a set shot from goal from like 5 metres out.

I think it's an us thing a lot more than it is a league thing though.

Our smalls don't get front and square to marking contests.
We don't block or shepherd for the ball carrier.
No one stays down in marking contests, everyone flies.
Our defenders let the ball out the back of the contest constantly.
Our players try to give and go but fail to keep their width.

It's under 12's stuff and most AFL sides still get great value out of doing these basics well.

I think it's an us thing a lot more than it is a league thing though.

Our smalls don't get front and square to marking contests.
We don't block or shepherd for the ball carrier.
No one stays down in marking contests, everyone flies.
Our defenders let the ball out the back of the contest constantly.
Our players try to give and go but fail to keep their width.

It's under 12's stuff and most AFL sides still get great value out of doing these basics well.
I reckon every AFL fan hears what you are saying mate.....1 percenters make a huge difference in a game of footy

A.Ried to debut after watching injury report

Burgeil back too

Should be a strong line up Sheed, Gaff, Johnston, Trew, Hall, Barnett, Burgiel, Ried, Harry Ed, JJ, Baker, Livingstone, Culley and Dwyer

14 AFL plus Gilbee and Ruscoe

Ryan to come in for Edwards
whats the rules with the WAFL and number of AFL players per game? or is that only finals?

either way, an awesome prob to have!

Jamaine Jones the best AFL-listed Eagle on the ground according to Horsley. Nice to see after some struggles to start the season from him.

Also interesting to hear about Jordyn Baker's game - by the eye he wasn't great (only 8 disposals) but seems like he sacrificed some of his offensive game and did a good job locking down Jed Hagan who kicked 5 the week prior

Last edited:

Jamaine Jones the best AFL-listed Eagle on the ground according to Horsley. Nice to see after some struggles to start the season from him.

Also interesting to hear about Jordyn Baker's game - by the eye he wasn't great (only 8 disposals) but seems like he sacrificed some of his offensive game and did a good job locking down Jed Hagan who kicked 5 the week prior
Jordyn Baker is a good player theres points in his highlights video from the game where he shows sheer desperation to win the ball

whats the rules with the WAFL and number of AFL players per game? or is that only finals?

either way, an awesome prob to have!
Only for finals.
I think freo may have a arrangement with Peel that a certain amount of Afl players play league at Peel.
I think last year a few of the Cat b players and firdt year drafted players may have played for Peel reserves.
Should the Beagles make the WAFLl finals it will depend on the following rules.

(1) ) An AFL Player may play in the WAFL Finals where his AFL Club is not participating in the AFL Finals match on the same weekend as his WAFL Partner Club; and the player must have played a minimum of six (6) WAFL League matches; and the player has played two (2) of the clubs last eight (8) WAFL League home and away matches; and. the number of qualified AFL players eligible to play does not exceed twelve(12) AFL players.

2. where his AFL Club is still in the AFL Finals and playing on the same weekend then (1) does not apply.

I doubt (2) will happen where the Eagles are playing in the finals at the same time as the beagles.
(1) will depend on the Beagles having AFL availabilty and starting to put some wins together.

Have they given up the idea of Culley as a mid? Or is it to gradually build game time in him following the ACL?
I saw a club interview with him in the preseason and the graphic under his name said "Eagles forward". Obviously the social media team isn't reflective of where the coaching staff see him but I thought it was interesting.

Have they given up the idea of Culley as a mid? Or is it to gradually build game time in him following the ACL?

Maybe both. Best performance came with considerable fwd minutes, but he needs to get into the side and then see how it disrupts or improves the midfield rotations to know for sure.

Might end up one of those big bodies fwd mids who goes in for a burst - your Jack Darling types 😉

Remove this Banner Ad

Back