2nds West Coast Eagles WAFL Watch 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Some new players appearing on our list on the WAFL site today

72 Oscar Armstrong - 20yo, 192cm, 76kg from Augusta-Margaret River. Played 10 reserves games for Souths last year
73 Allan Narkle - 23yo, 176cm, 75kg from Toodyay. Played for South Mandurah last year, played NTFL last month.

Add to those the other new players we know about
62 Revis Alone - 20yo from Kelmscott, originally a Kwinana rookie.
54 Kye Barker - 23yo, 192cm, 82kg. Played 13 senior games for Souths in 2020/21, was at Collie last year.
55 Jason Gillbee - 19yo, 191cm, 80kg, ex GWS rookie.
50 Trey Ruscoe - 22yo, 193cm, 89kg, ex Collingwood
52 James Spadanuda - 19yo, 176cm, 75kg from East Freo, played reserves and colts last year
51 Harley Sparks - 22yo, 187cm, 78kg, originally from East Perth where he played 22 league games, was at Carey Park last year.
71 Luke Yeo - 19yo, 185cm, 75kg from East Freo, played reserves last year.

Probably continuing
48 Jackson Nelson
53 Mitch Henderson
56 Harry Creasey
57 Josh Burke
58 John Levien
59 Cooper Nitschke
60 Tyler Mouritz
61 Darby McCarthy
63 Ethan Hansen
64 Andries Mercer
67 Jack O'Sullivan
68 Nick Watson
70 Shannon Lucassen
71 Ethan Sambo
75 Jack Eastough
76 Rhett Lloyd

Unsure if they're continuing
51 Jarrod Garlett (still appearing on the list but Sparks has been given his number)
60 Joey Deegan (still appearing on the list but Mouritz has been given his number)
71 Jayden Johnstone (still appearing on the list but Yeo and Sambo both appearing in his number)

Probably gone
62 Jack Downsborough (no longer shows up)
65 Jack Stevens (ditto)
66 Tyler Collins (ditto)
72 Riley Pobjoy (ditto)
74 Daniel Frost (ditto)
77 Kalani Brooks (ditto)
78 Dylan Chatley (ditto)
79 Angus Cutbill (ditto)

Definitely gone
50 Zane Sumich (Claremont)
52 Jed Kemp (Perth)
54 Josh Browne (VFL)
55 Alec Waterman (Claremont)
73 Josh Edwards (Perth)

We play our only official preseason game against Adelaide (in Adelaide) on March 2 which is the same weekend as the WAFL scratch match against East Fremantle

A little odd since we’re likely to have requested to play East Freo that weekend as it’s the only WAFL fixture that weekend with other sides playing the following week

With probably 24-26 players going to Adelaide it leaves around 18-20 players available for WAFL less any rehab/injured players.

Given it’s only 5 weeks away the likes of Ryan, Culley (both definitely), Sheed, Hewett, Archer, Rotham and maybe Jamieson would all be doubtful

So that leaves 12-14 pending any setbacks to other players between now and then

Guess it gives us a good look at some of the top ups as well

We play our only official preseason game against Adelaide (in Adelaide) on March 2 which is the same weekend as the WAFL scratch match against East Fremantle

A little odd since we’re likely to have requested to play East Freo that weekend as it’s the only WAFL fixture that weekend with other sides playing the following week

With probably 24-26 players going to Adelaide it leaves around 18-20 players available for WAFL less any rehab/injured players.

Given it’s only 5 weeks away the likes of Ryan, Culley (both definitely), Sheed, Hewett, Archer, Rotham and maybe Jamieson would all be doubtful

So that leaves 12-14 pending any setbacks to other players between now and then

Guess it gives us a good look at some of the top ups as well

Would be easy to think we're being sandbagged

Surely at this point the WAFL bedwetters come crying back to us with a bunch of increased concessions to get us to stay?

It'll fold otherwise. Haven't seen the comp this s**t in as long as i can remember.

The word I am getting is the Eagles can go, go and complain in the VFL or whatever they call it. The WAFC will still get the exact same amount of royalties as they own the licences. So funding doesn’t really change. That’s the word I have heard at two WAFL clubs. Can’t speak for the other 6.
Losing the Eagles out of the WAFL doesn’t change the WAFL comp, they have added nothing to it unfortunately.

Look maybe it’s best for the eagles to leave? It’s not as if they are helping the WAFL in anyway.

The word I am getting is the Eagles can go, go and complain in the VFL or whatever they call it. The WAFC will still get the exact same amount of royalties as they own the licences. So funding doesn’t really change. That’s the word I have heard at two WAFL clubs. Can’t speak for the other 6.
Losing the Eagles out of the WAFL doesn’t change the WAFL comp, they have added nothing to it unfortunately.

Look maybe it’s best for the eagles to leave? It’s not as if they are helping the WAFL in anyway.

No but they won't have recruiting restrictions on top up players in an AFL reserves league. They probably won't poach many from interstate on the wages but WAFL players looking for an AFL shot would be interested in playing in front of AFL coaches every week. It's the talent drain the WAFL should worry about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No but they won't have recruiting restrictions on top up players in an AFL reserves league. They probably won't poach many from interstate on the wages but WAFL players looking for an AFL shot would be interested in playing in front of AFL coaches every week. It's the talent drain the WAFL should worry about.

Yes the money is the only thing that could get players. But if you are 25 and a regular league player at WAFL level and the WCE want you to come and play for their reserves and travel the country in a team that does not care about winning or isn't even trying to win the comp then that might be a hard sell.

Look ultimately both parties need to be happy, it seems the Eagles are not happy with any arrangement and the WAFL clubs are not happy continuing bending over for the Eagles. Just best part ways I think unless Don Pyke can build the bridge with Trevor simply couldn't.

There's no reserves comp atm, so it'd have to the the VFL.
The VFL teams will need to agree to fly their team over to Perth every so often, or we'd probably need to pay for it.

That the WAFC are demanding an answer from the Eagles in regards to whether they are staying in the WAFL indicates to me the national reserves comp is getting closer or that the Eagles like Port are thinking of joining the vFL.

The “VFL” is basically the national reserves comp now it’s been expanded to the entire eastern seaboard. 14 out of the 18 reserves sides are in it. They may as well bite the bullet and pull the SA/WA teams in as well.

Yes the money is the only thing that could get players. But if you are 25 and a regular league player at WAFL level and the WCE want you to come and play for their reserves and travel the country in a team that does not care about winning or isn't even trying to win the comp then that might be a hard sell.

Look ultimately both parties need to be happy, it seems the Eagles are not happy with any arrangement and the WAFL clubs are not happy continuing bending over for the Eagles. Just best part ways I think unless Don Pyke can build the bridge with Trevor simply couldn't.

What makes you think they wouldn't try to win a reserves comp? They've been pathetic in the WAFL, but that's because they end up playing suburban players by Round 4. When fit, they've been competitive. I don't think the players aren't trying to win. I don't think the coaches aren't trying to win.

And on those suburban players, the ones who did well have been poached by other WAFL teams. That's what will tempt players over to a West Coast national reserves team - the hope that if they play well they'll get recruited to Carlton, or Port or Sydney. It's not money, it's exposure and opportunity. AFL coaches aren't watching West Perth v East Fremantle, but there'd be eyes on West Coast Reserves v Brisbane Reserves. And with the midseason draft, there's extra opportunity for a mature aged player having a good year.

Where money comes in is in trying to poach from one reserves team to another, in a different state. That won't happen much, I'd think. But poaching from the WAFL, if you're 23-25 want one last shot at getting into the AFL? It'll happen. And the WAFL can't afford to lose any quality.

What makes you think they wouldn't try to win a reserves comp? They've been pathetic in the WAFL, but that's because they end up playing suburban players by Round 4. When fit, they've been competitive. I don't think the players aren't trying to win. I don't think the coaches aren't trying to win.

And on those suburban players, the ones who did well have been poached by other WAFL teams. That's what will tempt players over to a West Coast national reserves team - the hope that if they play well they'll get recruited to Carlton, or Port or Sydney. It's not money, it's exposure and opportunity. AFL coaches aren't watching West Perth v East Fremantle, but there'd be eyes on West Coast Reserves v Brisbane Reserves. And with the midseason draft, there's extra opportunity for a mature aged player having a good year.

Where money comes in is in trying to poach from one reserves team to another, in a different state. That won't happen much, I'd think. But poaching from the WAFL, if you're 23-25 want one last shot at getting into the AFL? It'll happen. And the WAFL can't afford to lose any quality.

The recruiters will still be heavily invested in watching the WAFL and The SANFL as that will still be where the majority of the kids from each state get drafted from. That won't change because the Eagles go to play in a different comp. Nothing really will change for the WAFL. Just more costs for the Eagles.

The recruiters will still be heavily invested in watching the WAFL and The SANFL as that will still be where the majority of the kids from each state get drafted from. That won't change because the Eagles go to play in a different comp. Nothing really will change for the WAFL. Just more costs for the Eagles.

How many WAFL and SANFL draftees play seniors, as opposed to just colts, or colts and ressies?

How many WAFL and SANFL draftees play seniors, as opposed to just colts, or colts and ressies?

Don't know the exact figures mate but most that get drafted come from the state 18's and once that carnival finishes they end up back at their WAFL club and many of them are playing league the second half of the year.
Still only a very small percentage of players drafted are over 21 years old.

Hard to add to it when you are not allowed to be competitive. It’s a bit self fulfilling.

Sounds like lots of ego if they are referring to it as vfl or whatever they call it. And unfortunately you cannot reason with those types. They sound like the old generation types and they won’t be around forever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back