Help What happened to the side panel?

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Scandal = Loss of left hand side bar

Increase in traffic when big AFL news breaks means more server strain which in turn has other ramifications to compensate for need of more server space to allow access to the new flow of visitors to the site. Chopping off little things like the side panel and the ability to view who is online at the bottom of each forum are extras that go missing when forum traffic is increased. We still have not got the people online at the bottom of each page back yet after a few weeks.

All the more traffic on the site means servers not coping. :(

I doubt it is a money making grab to put adds in place in peak times. I dont see any adds anyway with FireFox Add block protection installed and the space just remains blank, which is better than putting up with adds. But it is annoying and i like the side bar navigation feature.

He knows too much.

I reckon the OP is spot on, good thread :thumbsu:

I'm a bit lost without the side bar, it makes the site so much for navigable. When it's gone I definitely am not as active in threads.

It's a bit annoying, really annoying having to scroll down to the bottom of the page or click into something to navigate around. Poor form :(

Chief in all honesty is it just for advertising $$$ or a website error?

If we upgrade our membership will this still be a problem?

Cheers.

Every time a big AFL scandal occurs Chief adds another story to his mansion.
He must love bad AFL news.
I would do the same so I can't really critisize

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're cynical.

That ad is ALWAYS there.

No idea why the bar sometimes switches off, but I've switched it back on now.
Thanks sir, good to see it back. It's just funny how it seems to switch itself off during moments of great scandal/controversy, like it did the time before, and replace itself with an advertisement, that's all? I hope the sponsors whose ads appear quite suddenly are getting billed for it, othewise they'd be getting free advertising space, wouldn't they?

Oh for... :rolleyes:

Look at the left. Below the nav bar. There's an ad. It is always there, nav bar or no nav bar.

If the nav bar goes AWOL then that exact same ad is, of course, displayed exactly where you would expect it to be in the absence of any content to push it down the column.

I.e.: at the top of the column.

The nav bar was possibly switched off while the other issues were fixed and not switched back on.

No conspiracy. Probably just a simple oversight. Go about your business.

Oh for... :rolleyes:

Look at the left. Below the nav bar. There's an ad. It is always there, nav bar or no nav bar.

If the nav bar goes AWOL then that exact same ad is, of course, displayed exactly where you would expect it to be in the absence of any content to push it down the column.

I.e.: at the top of the column.

The nav bar was possibly switched off while the other issues were fixed and not switched back on.

No conspiracy. Probably just a simple oversight. Go about your business.
I'm aware that there's always an ad there, but I mostly ignore it because I only want to deal with navigation. Just seems coincidental to me that the nav bar disappears but the ads don't, that's all. What's more, the ad takes the place of the nav bar...At times of HIGH traffic.

The nav bar is a separate element. If it is switched off it does not affect other elements. It is not always switched off during high traffic. It has gone AWOL precisely twice in its history as far as I recall. We have multiple peaks of traffic throughout the year.

There is no link. You can unwrap the tin foil from around your head.

The nav bar is a separate element. If it is switched off it does not affect other elements. It is not always switched off during high traffic. It has gone AWOL precisely twice in its history as far as I recall. We have multiple peaks of traffic throughout the year.

There is no link. You can unwrap the tin foil from around your head.
It's a pity the ads don't get switched off during periods of high traffic?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back