Politics & Government What Happens if a US Presidential Candiate Dies ?

Remove this Banner Ad

emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
In case you have been on Mars for the last 12 months or so, the US Presidential Election will be fought out this November between Hillary Clinton (Democrats) and Donald Trump (Republican).

This week Hillary Clinton became severely ill with pneumonia, a disease that has consigned many people to an early grave over the years. While Clinton obviously survived this, I found myself wondering what would happen if a US Presidential Candidate died from illness, heart attack or an accident so close to the election?

For example and purely as a hypothetical, if Hillary Clinton had died from pneumonia, what would have happened to the Democrats' presidential campaign? Would her running mat Tim Kaine have taken over and gone up against Trump in the November elections, or would the last Democratic candidate Bernie Sanders move up to run for President? Or would a completely new candidate be decided upon?

As far as I know, both parties are private entities that can literally pick anyone they like to take the presidential nomination. There's no official "next in line" or ordered voting or long-term established party leader as we know it. Half the campaigning we see in the lead-up is to just earn the support of and the nomination from within the party, which is a pretty foreign concept to us over here in Australia, as our system is very different.

They really shouldn't allow anyone over the age of 60 to run, though. This way, if they get two four-year terms, they'll still only be around retirement age. I mean, Ronald Reagan (was less than 3 weeks out from his 70th birthday when he began his President in 1981) genuinely went senile while in office, and Clinton could well do the same (if some other illness or malady doesn't get her first). Bernie Sanders is 75 (!) as well. I know it's probably ego, but I don't know why anyone who is 65+ would want to take up such a high-demand, high-pressure job. Just sounds like a heart attack or stress-related illness waiting to happen.

In case you have been on Mars for the last 12 months or so, the US Presidential Election will be fought out this November between Hillary Clinton (Democrats) and Donald Trump (Republican).

This week Hillary Clinton became severely ill with pneumonia, a disease that has consigned many people to an early grave over the years. While Clinton obviously survived this, I found myself wondering what would happen if a US Presidential Candidate died from illness, heart attack or an accident so close to the election?

For example and purely as a hypothetical, if Hillary Clinton had died from pneumonia, what would have happened to the Democrats' presidential campaign? Would her running mat Tim Kaine have taken over and gone up against Trump in the November elections, or would the last Democratic candidate Bernie Sanders move up to run for President? Or would a completely new candidate be decided upon?

If Hillary died on the campaign trail Bernie Sanders would be the next president of the USA.

What would happen in Australia if somebody running for prime-minister died? I guess the party would just select another candidate. Same as what would happen in the US. It actually happened in Canada a few years ago. Jack Layton had a very good shot at running the country.
In Australia, if it was after the closure of candidate declarations the election would continue. If the deceased candidate won, there would be a by-election for that electorate. The party would choose a new leader at some stage, probably before the election but that might depend on the timing of the death (or other exclusion).
After all, we elect representatives for an electorate. Parties elect the leader, the governing party's leader become Prime Minister. We do not elect the Prime Minister.

As far as I am aware, for the US Congress that is similar. For a presidential run, not so sure.

If it happened before whatever the electoral office there is closed nominations, I assume the party would choose a new candidate (probably either the runner-up from the convention, or the running mate if chosen; the parties may have rules around this, or otherwise excluded candidates).

If afterwards; (just guessing) perhaps the designated Vice President candidate would be sworn in as President, as happens should the successful candidate die in office.

What would happen in Australia if somebody running for prime-minister died? I guess the party would just select another candidate. Same as what would happen in the US. It actually happened in Canada a few years ago. Jack Layton had a very good shot at running the country.
The party would elect a new leader amongst itself and we'd vote for our local MP as per usual.

In Australia, if it was after the closure of candidate declarations the election would continue. If the deceased candidate won, there would be a by-election for that electorate. The party would choose a new leader at some stage, probably before the election but that might depend on the timing of the death (or other exclusion).

That would be good for the self esteem, losing to a dead guy.

What'd we do when Harold Holt went missing?

John McEwen, leader of the Country Party (now the Nationals) acted as Prime Minister from Holt's vanishing in December 1967 to mid January 1968, when Liberal Leader John Gorton took office and held the role of Prime Minister until March 1971.

John McEwen, leader of the Country Party (now the Nationals) acted as Prime Minister from Holt's vanishing in December 1967 to mid January 1968, when Liberal Leader John Gorton took office and held the role of Prime Minister until March 1971.

Why did McEwen take over instead of Gorton? Holt was a Liberal so why didn't fellow Liberal Gorton supersede him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why did McEwen take over instead of Gorton? Holt was a Liberal so why didn't fellow Liberal Gorton supersede him?

According to Wikipedia, Country Party leader McEwen was sworn into office after Holt's disappearance on the condition that the Liberals would appoint a Liberal Prime Minister in January. The only way McEwen could have retained the office was by changing from Country to Liberal.

I imagine that if Malcolm Turnbull died tomorrow, Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce (a National) would be interim Prime Minister until a new Liberal leader was elected.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back