What's with the sudden surge of spin bowlers in the Sheffield Shield?

Remove this Banner Ad

May 10, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Earlier in the season there were hardly any spinners being selected in Sheffield Shield teams and now all of a sudden their is an invasion.

Cullen Bailey
Beau Casson
Jason Krejza
Josh Mangan
Daniel Doran

Why is this the case? Have pitches become more spin-friendly as the season has gone on?

Pitches are always more conducive to spin late in the summer. Heat, lack of rain and pitch wear and tear all play a factor. Pitches dry out quicker during matches also, which means they break up easier and become more abrasive by days 3 and 4.

Unless your ground is currently under water (ie GABBA).

And they're taking wickets. Amazing what happens when they are given an opportunity. Cricket Australia really has to do something about pitch preparation and selection policy. There is no point in having players like Klinger churning out 1000 run plus seasons on dead wickets. The domestic competition needs to be a bit more about development in my mind. I'd be a lot happier to go down and watch a Shield game if I saw young spinners given opportunities on decent pitches than watching journeyman 30 year olds being flat-track bullies. No disrespect meant for Klinger there.....

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I would like to hear the SA selectors justify the omission of Cullen Bailey for the first 7 shield games. Has more wickets in one game than Dan Cullen has taken all summer.

Earlier in the season there were hardly any spinners being selected in Sheffield Shield teams and now all of a sudden their is an invasion.

Cullen Bailey
Beau Casson
Jason Krejza
Josh Mangan
Daniel Doran

Why is this the case? Have pitches become more spin-friendly as the season has gone on?

In the case of Bailey and Casson, it's because they've replaced Cullen and Hauritz respectively.

Every team plays a spinner in Adelaide, NSW always play a spinner (and at the moment have no quicks), Tassie always play Krejza. The only new development is Mangan playing on a green top in Hobart, which is good but still a long way from where we need to be.

there's a spot up in the test side.

McGain is the only one with any talent and he's 63 years old.

kreja is rubbish, hauritz is rubbish, beau casson is rubbish, doherty never pushed on from his u19 form despite showing enough at a young age to suggest he was going to be good, and White despite showing some form till about 21/22 years old also gave it away to focus on batting, so basically ruled himself out of contention.

even after being told to focus on his leggies, he chose not to, and now must wear the consequences of his decision.

its disappointing that the district cricket across the states can't produce one spinner of decent quality with the motivation to push on.

Luke Doran is a left arm orthodox bowler. Hes 17 and at the under 19 championship he was the highest wicket-taker with an average of 8. Hes becoming unplayable in the grades atm and should make his way to the NSW team. I watched him at the carnival and he was very impressive. He and Steven Smith will be pushing each other for that spinners spot.

Two to watch.

Luke Doran is a left arm orthodox bowler. Hes 17 and at the under 19 championship he was the highest wicket-taker with an average of 8. Hes becoming unplayable in the grades atm and should make his way to the NSW team. I watched him at the carnival and he was very impressive. He and Steven Smith will be pushing each other for that spinners spot.

Two to watch.

If Doran is as good as you say, then it shouldn't even be a question of who plays between him and Smith. Smith has shown nothing at all, and frankly just looks average. Doran on the other hand, actually sounds promising.

If Doran is as good as you say, then it shouldn't even be a question of who plays between him and Smith. Smith has shown nothing at all, and frankly just looks average. Doran on the other hand, actually sounds promising.

No Smith has shown a lot. He's only 19 himself and was the leading wicket taker in last years 20-20 comp. Also hes a very handy batsman. At one stage 2 years ago he was the leading wicket taker and run scorer in the sydney grade competition - something which is nearly impossible to do, let alone for a teenager. He also captains his grade team.

Both players have big futures.

Pitches are pathetic. We need to develop spinners so the pitches need to have some useful spin. Captains also to blame. They never bowl them. Casson played a One Day game this season and bowled one over...what the? Qld never bowls Doran and WA never bowls Mangan. Why play them. Play them and support them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw Mangan live this arvo and he looked pretty ordinary.

Tiny little bloke and couldn't find a consistent length.

I agree with you on this one, I saw him bowl at Bellerive as well, he's not much chop. When he bowls a bad ball and gets the treatment he deserves, he stops tossing the ball up and just bowls a quicker, flatter ball that won't go to the boundary but definitely won't get him a wicket. Without a bit of courage, you'll never take that many wickets as a spin bowler, and from what I saw, Mangan switches between darts and hardly-spinning leggies too often to worry any team.

I agree with you on this one, I saw him bowl at Bellerive as well, he's not much chop. When he bowls a bad ball and gets the treatment he deserves, he stops tossing the ball up and just bowls a quicker, flatter ball that won't go to the boundary but definitely won't get him a wicket. Without a bit of courage, you'll never take that many wickets as a spin bowler, and from what I saw, Mangan switches between darts and hardly-spinning leggies too often to worry any team.

Exactly.

Every time he got smacked to the rope my mate and I would predict a dart the very next ball. Without fail the next ball was darted in at the batsman's feet.

there's a spot up in the test side.

McGain is the only one with any talent and he's 63 years old.

kreja is rubbish, hauritz is rubbish, beau casson is rubbish, doherty never pushed on from his u19 form despite showing enough at a young age to suggest he was going to be good, and White despite showing some form till about 21/22 years old also gave it away to focus on batting, so basically ruled himself out of contention.

even after being told to focus on his leggies, he chose not to, and now must wear the consequences of his decision.

its disappointing that the district cricket across the states can't produce one spinner of decent quality with the motivation to push on.

Cullen Bailey isn't rubbish.

Has not had the best start but still has plenty of time to improve his game given he is only 23 and this is only his 3rd First Class game. Actually has a lot of potential and if he irons out some of his pretty obvious deficiencies then he can be a very good bowler.

Represented in the Australian under 19's and was highly rated at Victoria before he decided to move which may actually be the the right move in the long run given Victoria have McGain, Holland and White.

Give him time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back