When does the Round 23 fixture get released?

Remove this Banner Ad

May 19, 2004
Werribee
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I pretty much said it all in the title didn't i?

Just wanna know is that order they are in now depict any type of order they are played on?

Because Sydney and Richmond game is 1st in that list does that mean it'll be the friday night game and so on down the list?

Going to the gold coast on that weekend and was wondering if anyone had any idea what day they will be playing?

Usually a month out, so in about 2-3 weeks I think.

Based on the current ladder, Sydney v Richmond should be on Friday Night if we are going to be fair... give the Swans the biggest break.... but I'm not sure if that match is very appealing. Collingwood v Hawthorn is more attractive, but there are ???s surrounding the Pies if they will even be in contention by R23.
Friday Night needs to have at least one Vic side in it (the last all-non Vic H&A Friday Night game was the Derby in 2005!), so can't see it being Freo v Port.

I think Sydney CAN'T be the FNF game given they play Sunday in Rd 22 (against the Dogs) and they have to have a 6 day break. That will be something the AFL will have to get right, which the NRL stuffed up for a few days when they finalized their last 6 rounds.

I think Sydney CAN'T be the FNF game given they play Sunday in Rd 22 (against the Dogs) and they have to have a 6 day break. That will be something the AFL will have to get right, which the NRL stuffed up for a few days when they finalized their last 6 rounds.
Should be a floating round 22 as well.

Swans vs Tigers and Freo vs Port can't be on the Friday Night because Swans and Freo play on the Sunday the week before and also with 8 of the 9 games having teams that could make the finals as things stand getting the pick for the second Sunday game will be interesting

If the makeup of the 4 / 8 is still up in the air then just play a shitload of games on Saturday.

I know it smacks of 'back in my day' but it would kinda be a cool build up to the finals. The "Super Saturday" of footy if you will.

Friday Night - 1 game.

Saturday Day - 5 games. Scores from around the grounds up on the screens. Half-time highlights from around the grounds. The tension of hoping your team wins whilst also keeping one eye on the result between X and Y.

Saturday night -two games

Sunday - 1 game. (should be able to find one game between non contenders each year).

If the makeup of the 4 / 8 is still up in the air then just play a shitload of games on Saturday.

I know it smacks of 'back in my day' but it would kinda be a cool build up to the finals. The "Super Saturday" of footy if you will.

Friday Night - 1 game.

Saturday Day - 5 games. Scores from around the grounds up on the screens. Half-time highlights from around the grounds. The tension of hoping your team wins whilst also keeping one eye on the result between X and Y.

Saturday night -two games

Sunday - 1 game. (should be able to find one game between non contenders each year).

Friday
Collingwood v Hawthorn - 7:50 MCG (7)

Saturday
Geelong v Brisbane - 12:10 SS (F)
North Melbourne v Melbourne 1:45 ES (7)
Carlton v Essendon 2:40 MCG (F)
Sydney v Richmond 5:10 ANZ (F)
Adelaide v St.Kilda 7:40 AO (7)
Gold Coast v West Coast 7:40 MS (F)
Fremantle v Port Adelaide 10:10 PS (F)

Sunday
Western Bulldogs v GWS Giants 3:20 ES (7)

It's hilarious that they AFL has this floating Round 23 crap with the guise of claiming it's to ensure a fair first round finals fixture, when they continually shaft teams with Preliminary finals on different days and thus ensuring one team has less time to prep for a grand final.

Agree... a farce that both Prelims are played on different days when they are played at different grounds.

Last year, Freo v Sydney should have been at 3:20pm AEST from Subi, Hawthorn v Geelong at 7:40pm from the 'G, all on the Saturday!

Even if its two Melbourne Prelims with the first prelim on Friday night, the second prelim should be on Saturday arvo, not night!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back