Where are GMOs at?

Remove this Banner Ad

Long Live HFC

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 30, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The story of Bt brinjal in Bangladesh is perhaps and even more dramatic example, and is farther along in development. Bt brinjal (eggplant) varieties were developed by several universities. In 2014 Bangladesh Agricultural Research Institute (BARI) released four Bt brinjal varieties that had completed years of field trials showing that they were safe and viable.

Seeds were given to farmers who, by many accounts, are thrilled with the results. Brinjal is a staple in the region. Typically a farmer might expect 40% of their crop to be lost to pest damage. They have to spray heavy doses of insecticide 140-180 times throughout the growing season, as often as several times per week.

Farmers growing the Bt varieties report a dramatic reduction in pesticide use by over 80% and virtually no crop loss to pests. The plants are healthy and productive.

This is a disaster for the anti-GMO narrative. Monsanto is no where to be seen, nor are any big ag corporations. There are no patents, the plants reduce pesticide use, and the farmers are happy.

http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/bt-brinjal-destroying-the-anti-gmo-narrative/

Disaster for the anti-GMO narrative?

any particular reason you made this into a thread rather than the bump it was?

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/the-big-footy-gmo-megathread.1107569/page-5

I don't think this guy even knows what that is - or that there isn't one story behind skepticism over GMOs.

really? you don't think there's an anti-GMO narrative along the lines of evil monsanto (or other corporations), genetic patents, pesticide use or farmer disatisfaction?

Monsanto is no where to be seen, nor are any big ag corporations. There are no patents, the plants reduce pesticide use, and the farmers are happy.

What a rubbish article. Why would you even bother posting this crap up.

well, had i posted it as a new thread i obviously would have provided a bit of context re what i wanted to highlight.

since you asked, it's a recent example of genetically modified crops that completely side-step the popular anti-GMO fearmongering re monsanto et al, pesticides, patents and infringement etc. which part(s) didn't you like? the massive reduction in use of pesticides? the fact nobody owns the modified eggplant, so there's no need for royalties, patent enforcement or penalties? the fact that "big ag" aren't involved? that third-world farmers are able to grow more food than they were previously?

any particular reason you made this into a thread rather than the bump it was?

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/the-big-footy-gmo-megathread.1107569/page-5

really? you don't think there's an anti-GMO narrative along the lines of evil monsanto (or other corporations), genetic patents, pesticide use or farmer disatisfaction?
Because the thread you bumped was a year old.

Bumping year+ old threads is pointless as people look at it, see it is X years old, and leave. Or they respond to someone who has not been on the site in years, without realising how old the thread is.

since you asked, it's a recent example of genetically modified crops that completely side-step the popular anti-GMO fearmongering re monsanto et al, pesticides, patents and infringement etc. which part(s) didn't you like? the massive reduction in use of pesticides? the fact nobody owns the modified eggplant, so there's no need for royalties, patent enforcement or penalties? the fact that "big ag" aren't involved? that third-world farmers are able to grow more food than they were previously?
Somewhere in the world in one situation some of the big issues with GMO isn't relevant which means... what?

You haven't given us any sort of opinion on it.

At face value you seem to agree that massive companies patenting food is wrong?

Because the thread you bumped was a year old.

Bumping year+ old threads is pointless as people look at it, see it is X years old, and leave. Or they respond to someone who has not been on the site in years, without realising how old the thread is.

fair enough, but it was 'the megathread' supposedly.

Somewhere in the world in one situation some of the big issues with GMO isn't relevant which means... what?

if people were honest they would already know that some of the "big issues" aren't really an issue at all (pesticide increases, consumer safety concerns, farmer yield/pest control failures etc). i've already posted numerous sources debunking these "narratives", but this example also illustrates that there is (or can be) a difference between big business and biotechnology, which are too often conflated in the discussion.

"Somewhere in the world in one situation..." is only true as far as it pertains to who did the research and development for this particular crop (there might be other non-business examples but this was the first on such a scale for me). quite obviously the other benefits mentioned exist across GM crops generally (depending on what they've been designed for of course).

so essentially, it's a one-stop-FU-shop re all the (popular) anti-GM paranoia from the unwashed masses in one simple eggplant. which i thought relevant to the 'megathread'.

You haven't given us any sort of opinion on it.

whose fault is that, exactly? since my thoughts on the subject matter are well-established across 3 or 4 threads now (such as the one i originally posted it in), i didn't feel additional explanation was immediately necessary in that thread. i hope the above suffices to correct this egregious error.

Nobody really reads through a thread that old to divine one particular person's stance.

Consider re-stating your position in a new thread rather than bumping an old one. Link to the old one by all means, but start afresh so it is accessible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

my preferred parallel is AGW. do you see any similarities between the left's denial/distrust of the science underpinning the safety and benefits of GM crops, with the right's denial/distrust of climate research?

this is current greens policy ffs. in 2016! :drunk:

http://greens.org.au/policies/genetically-modified-organisms
You know that the left are right in regards to some GM crops. Just like the right isn't brainwashed when it comes to AGW.
Take it to the CT threads thanks.

lebbo! it's been ages, how you doin'? nervous about fri night? i am, *!

You know that the left are right in regards to some GM crops.

please post your source that suggests consumption of GM food is harmful, and then explain why the 2000+ articles that disagree with you should be summarily ignored.

Just like the right isn't brainwashed when it comes to AGW.
Take it to the CT threads thanks.

you should know im banned from that cesspool of idiocy, campaigner. i do appreciate your relative uniqueness in being both an AGW and GMO denier, though. since denial is typically a partisan exercise, it takes a special box of crackers to get both utterly wrong :thumbsu:

lebbo! it's been ages, how you doin'? nervous about fri night? i am, ****!

please post your source that suggests consumption of GM food is harmful, and then explain why the 2000+ articles that disagree with you should be summarily ignored.

you should know im banned from that cesspool of idiocy, campaigner. i do appreciate your relative uniqueness in being both an AGW and GMO denier, though. since denial is typically a partisan exercise, it takes a special box of crackers to get both utterly wrong :thumbsu:
Addressing the real issues first. I yelled out the window of my car "go the Mighty Hawks" to an African bloke in a Geelong Cats tracksuit.
As for AGW, here is a person who was sacked from CSIRO for telling the truth.
http://theclimatescepticsparty.blogspot.com.au/2014/01/10-facts-and-10-myths-about-climate.html?m=1

GM corn causes cancer

http://naturalsociety.com/brazil-gave-green-light-to-3-new-gm-crops-but-calls-glyphosate-cancerous/

Addressing the real issues first. I yelled out the window of my car "go the Mighty Hawks" to an African bloke in a Geelong Cats tracksuit.

um, im not sure what his heritage or ethnic appearance has to do with anything.

As for AGW, here is a person who was sacked from CSIRO for telling the truth.
http://theclimatescepticsparty.blogspot.com.au/2014/01/10-facts-and-10-myths-about-climate.html?m=1

if you want me to crush you on AGW (again), bump an AGW thread. oh no hang on, apparently you need to start a completely new one :rolleyes:

firstly, i asked about GMOs, not pesticides. the implicit suggestion in your link is that conventional agriculture doesn't use pesticides (or that roundup is specifically more dangerous). if you believe this, i have a bridge to sell you.

secondly, roundup's LD50 factor is huge compared to the alternatives. yeah, it could certainly be a carcinogen- just a much less dangerous one than those used previously. hippies seem to forget the fact that those most at risk are those most exposed- farmers. they then ignore the fact that farmers freely choose to use roundup instead of previous poisons.

finally, that wasn't anything even approaching an actual study re consumption of GM food. but it's refreshing to see you swallow government nonsense given your infamous distrust of The Man :thumbsu:

If you are an anti-vaxxer ... you are dumb.

If you are anti-gmo... you are dumb.

If you are a creationist ... you are dumb.
Holy s**t. We agree on something almost?

Im not anti GMO, We've been ******* around with crops for thousands of years. Selective growing, Monsanto are a bunch of absolute pricks who could probably solve Africa's food shortages in 10 years if they didn't want to be filthy rich. However denying GMO and there is a LOT of mis-infomation out there

People have every right to chose based on what you believe in. If you don't want GMO, fine, You technically have a right. A lot of hunger issues could be solved with GMO's. It's a shame Monsanto and a lot of wealthy Westerners are not interested.

In your post you also included:
This is a disaster for the anti-GMO narrative. Monsanto is no where to be seen, nor are any big ag corporations. There are no patents, the plants reduce pesticide use, and the farmers are happy.

However this link implies that Monsanto still have an interest:
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/jun/05/gm-crop-bangladesh-bt-brinjal
Who owns the crops?
The Bt gene was developed by the Maharashtra Hybrid Seed Company, the Indian partner of the US seed giant Monsanto and later donated to the public sector partners in India, Bangladesh and Philippines. Bt brinjal was developed by the government-operated Bangladesh Agricultural Research Institute with technical assistance from Cornell University in the US and funding from USAid. Monsanto still owns the technology but has granted a royalty-free, not-for-profit license to BARI to test, produce and distribute the plants other than by sale. Farmers will be encouraged to save seeds and use them in future.

This link is also informative:
http://jobanbd.com/the-gmo-debate-the-curse-of-monsanto/
“So where did Panorama’s 90 per cent success claim come from? The source was briefly flashed up on the screen as ‘Cornell University’. Cornell and the Bangladesh Agricultural Research Institute (BARI) are ‘partner’ organisations of the Agricultural Biotechnology Support Project II (ABSPII), which is promoting the Bt brinjal project in Bangladesh and the rest of South Asia… Cornell University is home to the controversial Cornell Alliance for Science, which is publicising the Bangladesh Bt brinjal project. The Alliance was launched last year with a $5.6 million grant from the Gates Foundation to ‘depolarise the charged debate around agricultural biotechnology and genetically modified organisms (GMOs).’ Its partners include the GMO industry group ISAAA, which is funded by Monsanto, CropLife, and Bayer.”

Not sure where I stand on this issue at this stage as I believe a lot more study and especially transparency is required.

In your post you also included:

However this link implies that Monsanto still have an interest:
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/jun/05/gm-crop-bangladesh-bt-brinjal
Who owns the crops?
The Bt gene was developed by the Maharashtra Hybrid Seed Company, the Indian partner of the US seed giant Monsanto and later donated to the public sector partners in India, Bangladesh and Philippines. Bt brinjal was developed by the government-operated Bangladesh Agricultural Research Institute with technical assistance from Cornell University in the US and funding from USAid. Monsanto still owns the technology but has granted a royalty-free, not-for-profit license to BARI to test, produce and distribute the plants other than by sale. Farmers will be encouraged to save seeds and use them in future.

awww man. that almost ruins my one-stop-FU-shop! :( thanks for the correction, though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back