Which 1990s players would be even better in the current game? And which would be worse?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hirdy and Mercs.

Their reading of the play, skills and ability to win the ball 1 v 1.

Classy running goalkicking wingmen like Longy, Peter Matera, Schwass would be a joy to watch

Mate, am a massive Martin fan. Was telling Carlton supporters to settle down when they were declaring Cripps the best player in the competition only 18 months ago as Martin was still the best going around but it gets a little embarrassing when kiddies of today put him in the same sentence as Wayne Carey.
Happens far too frequently and today's game is the softest it has ever been. A star midfielder only needs to be sneezed on and he is awarded a free kick as they waltz around without a tagger accumulating 25-30 disposals a game.
What are you even on about? I didn't actually compare Carey to Dusty. In response to a comment that said Carey would be used as a mid in today's game, I said he might be used like Dusty, starting in centre bounces and going forward. You then had a little melt that I was saying he was better. I saw Carey's whole career. I know how good he was. Do you think someone would have created a thread with this title who didn't actually watch footy all through the 90s?

What are you even on about? I didn't actually compare Carey to Dusty. In response to a comment that said Carey would be used as a mid in today's game, I said he might be used like Dusty, starting in centre bounces and going forward. You then had a little melt that I was saying he was better. I saw Carey's whole career. I know how good he was. Do you think someone would have created a thread with this title who didn't actually watch footy all through the 90s?

My bad. I did not read your original post carefully.
Not sure I was having a melt. Just saying Martin is a great footballer but Carey was a Goliath in an era full of superstar forwards and midfielders.

You would have to conclude that the power forwards of the late 80's/early 90's - Dunstall, Lockett, Ablett, Modra etc would not have been as effective due to the changing style of play - zoning etc.
Especially not the forwards whose one-wood is leading into space. Dunstall in particular would be blunted - he didn't have Lockett's size or Ablett's leap, so relied a bit more of lead-mark-goal.

Especially not the forwards whose one-wood is leading into space. Dunstall in particular would be blunted - he didn't have Lockett's size or Ablett's leap, so relied a bit more of lead-mark-goal.
would never kick 100 goals but smart forwards with a good work rate (tank) would still be very good players... Josh Kennedy and both Reiwoldts are good examples of that!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back