Tertiary and Continuing Which degrees are useless/useful?

Remove this Banner Ad

Currently doing a bachelor of IT, feels a little pointless, very easy to get Distinctions/High distinctions without actually achieving or learning anything.

Should be more about where you end up, than how you get there.

90% of the units in my degree (education) are completely pointless, but the job at the end is something I want to do.

So I'm in year 10 but I'm currently picking VCE subjects that obviously lead to University, TAFE etc. I've got one more subject to pick. I haven't picked any science subjects. I've never loved Science but when I put a bit of effort I do alright. When I don't I'm useless. Should I pick a Science subject to keep my options wide open? (that would allow me to do any undergraduate course at the University of Melbourne (my uni I want to attend). Or should I pick something I'll find easier and enjoy more?

Is Science important? I'm interested in Architecture, Journalism and maybe Engineering by the way.

So I'm in year 10 but I'm currently picking VCE subjects that obviously lead to University, TAFE etc. I've got one more subject to pick. I haven't picked any science subjects. I've never loved Science but when I put a bit of effort I do alright. When I don't I'm useless. Should I pick a Science subject to keep my options wide open? (that would allow me to do any undergraduate course at the University of Melbourne (my uni I want to attend). Or should I pick something I'll find easier and enjoy more?

Is Science important? I'm interested in Architecture, Journalism and maybe Engineering by the way.
If you're interested in engineering wouldn't it make sense to do physics?

Doing subjects which you enjoy is priority #1, it will be a long year(s) if you decide to do stuff which you do not enjoy. Subjects you enjoy I'd imagine you'll spend a little bit more time on, as it won't feel 100% like a chore - therefore your chances of higher grades are increased.

Journalism you won't need any sciences, however in both Engineering and Archi they would be more than handy I would think. Maybe try and get a work experience placement (week or two) at a company in each of those fields to get a better gauge of your preferences? Basically you just follow them around, help out with simple duties, etc. Ring around, e'mail around - get your name amongst it and chuck the experience on the resume. :thumbsu:

If you're interested in engineering wouldn't it make sense to do physics?
Yeah I was thinking that. Only really had a look at Engineering in the past week or so. Whether or not it's something I really want to do I'm not sure. At Melbourne Uni you don't need a science to go into engineering after doing an undergraduate. I should probably look around though right in case it's different at others? I can understand why physics would be handy. I did a term of it last semester and I was alright at it.

Doing subjects which you enjoy is priority #1, it will be a long year(s) if you decide to do stuff which you do not enjoy. Subjects you enjoy I'd imagine you'll spend a little bit more time on, as it won't feel 100% like a chore - therefore your chances of higher grades are increased.

Journalism you won't need any sciences, however in both Engineering and Archi they would be more than handy I would think. Maybe try and get a work experience placement (week or two) at a company in each of those fields to get a better gauge of your preferences? Basically you just follow them around, help out with simple duties, etc. Ring around, e'mail around - get your name amongst it and chuck the experience on the resume. :thumbsu:
Yeah, thanks for the advice. All of the subjects I've picked so far are because I like them (bar R.E which is compulsory at my school in year 11. Gotta love Catholic schools!) and obviously Maths isn't my favourite subject but I don't hate it as much as I used to.

As for work experience I already did that at Carlton FC back in March. That was pretty interesting learning about the way footy clubs are run. I forgot to mention that anything in Sports is an interest. Ideally I'd like to play basketball professionally but that will be tough. If I don't make it being involved in the sports industry would be great. Sports Journalism is something I'm also keen in. I've heard lately a lot of people are doing Sports Sciences. To me it sounds like a bit of a wank which for most people doesn't lead to anything. Am I correct?

Surely numbers in sports would also be an area to look at as well? Stats are used more and more these days and they're only going to get more advanced.

Basically I'm looking to keep my options open because I'm more than likely to change my mind a thousand times, aspire to play ball professionally but if that fails I need school (hence why school comes first) and because I could see myself in a number of career paths but like most I have no definitive answer as to what I want to do.

Also if I don't choose a science as a VCE subject which of the following is most handy (I don't have strong feeling either way to these subjects) Law, Business Management, Economics and Accounting?

Yeah I was thinking that. Only really had a look at Engineering in the past week or so. Whether or not it's something I really want to do I'm not sure. At Melbourne Uni you don't need a science to go into engineering after doing an undergraduate. I should probably look around though right in case it's different at others? I can understand why physics would be handy. I did a term of it last semester and I was alright at it.

Yeah, thanks for the advice. All of the subjects I've picked so far are because I like them (bar R.E which is compulsory at my school in year 11. Gotta love Catholic schools!) and obviously Maths isn't my favourite subject but I don't hate it as much as I used to.
Also if I don't choose a science as a VCE subject which of the following is most handy (I don't have strong feeling either way to these subjects) Law, Business Management, Economics and Accounting?
I'm at Melb Uni now...you can do an engineering breadth stream in Commerce and come out with Comm/Eng in 5 years. Seems to be pretty popular.

With your last question...don't do business management whatever you do. Complete waste of time.

I did Accounting last year, was fairly easy to get a high score. Do that or economics if you're interested in business (although I'm biased as I'm a Commerce student haha)

I'm at Melb Uni now...you can do an engineering breadth stream in Commerce and come out with Comm/Eng in 5 years. Seems to be pretty popular.

With your last question...don't do business management whatever you do. Complete waste of time.

I did Accounting last year, was fairly easy to get a high score. Do that or economics if you're interested in business (although I'm biased as I'm a Commerce student haha)
Yeah Business management seems pretty pointless. Lots of stuff I could earn without studying it for two years. It's not very high up on my list. The old man is an expert in money so perhaps picking one of them would be good considering he could help me. What about History? I enjoy it but I don't really see it as something that can help me in the future.

Yeah Business management seems pretty pointless. Lots of stuff I could earn without studying it for two years. It's not very high up on my list. The old man is an expert in money so perhaps picking one of them would be good considering he could help me. What about History? I enjoy it but I don't really see it as something that can help me in the future.
Don't worry about whether it will help you in the future unless it's a prereq for a course you need. E.g. methods, or a chem/physics type for a science degree.

Otherwise just pick the subjects you like and do that - no point messing about with subjects you hate. And to be honest, I remember being in your position stressing over what subjects to pick, looking back now, it didn't really matter what I did in the end. Just do what interests you and results will fall your way :thumbsu:

As for work experience I already did that at Carlton FC back in March. That was pretty interesting learning about the way footy clubs are run. I forgot to mention that anything in Sports is an interest. Ideally I'd like to play basketball professionally but that will be tough. If I don't make it being involved in the sports industry would be great. Sports Journalism is something I'm also keen in. I've heard lately a lot of people are doing Sports Sciences. To me it sounds like a bit of a wank which for most people doesn't lead to anything. Am I correct? Yeah, I'm pretty much of the same opinion. The same goes for 'Sport Management'. I mean if you're really passionate about it, do it, bit if you're tossing that up between something like Engineering - most would advise Engineering. More flexibility and job opportunities are probably the main reasons mentioned by some.

Surely numbers in sports would also be an area to look at as well? Stats are used more and more these days and they're only going to get more advanced. Yeah, I'm not too sure on this to be honest. Wouldn't think the pay would be too massive but, with not a whole heap of opportunities.

Basically I'm looking to keep my options open because I'm more than likely to change my mind a thousand times, aspire to play ball professionally but if that fails I need school (hence why school comes first) and because I could see myself in a number of career paths but like most I have no definitive answer as to what I want to do. I was much the same with tennis about 2 years ago. Being prepared for the least desirable outcome is a good motto. :thumbsu:

Also if I don't choose a science as a VCE subject which of the following is most handy (I don't have strong feeling either way to these subjects) Law, Business Management, Economics and Accounting? Haha not a good Q to ask me. I was a big fan of Legal Studies (Law) and Business Management. If you don't plan on doing an Accounting degree @ Uni, I'd stay away as it's simple to learn first year. I got a HD for it and didn't do Acc @ VCE level. Economics was OK, quite enjoyed it and got to know more about supply-demand, shares and how markets operate.

My thoughts are in blue mate. All the best with your decisions, and don't stress as it's basically all dumbed down during your first year of a Business/Commerce degree. :thumbsu:

I'm doing first year Architecture at monash, and like you, didn't do any science in year 12 (however did chemistry in year 11). Alot of my friends found that science got much harder in the vce years, and scores reflected that (unless your brain just works that way...) Never did physics, but regret not doing it. Not that it would have helped in my uni course, i just think i might have liked it :p

I did do history, got a pretty poor score, but loved the subject and found that it helped so much in English and actually helps in the pissy intro subjects that unis make you do. I just think it's handy to know a little bit about history in general though...

I'm doing first year Architecture at monash, and like you, didn't do any science in year 12 (however did chemistry in year 11). Alot of my friends found that science got much harder in the vce years, and scores reflected that (unless your brain just works that way...) Never did physics, but regret not doing it. Not that it would have helped in my uni course, i just think i might have liked it :p

I did do history, got a pretty poor score, but loved the subject and found that it helped so much in English and actually helps in the pissy intro subjects that unis make you do. I just think it's handy to know a little bit about history in general though...
Ahhhh first year... Fun times. :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously not for everyone, but an Agricultural Science degree, isn't a bad course.
Pretty strong demand for graduates, good job security and not massive but okay coin. Like i said not for everyone but if you don't mind living and working in regonal area's it's pretty good.

Probably still commerce at Melbourne. Haven't given engineering much thought lately though. Still have no real idea.
What do you wanna do when you're a big boy?

Feel sorry for you bastards that are going to leave uni between age 25 and 30 and have no financial safety net until you find work.

Took me a year after I graduated before I got a graduate role with Queensland Treasury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back