Which side is closer to a premiership - Carlton or Essendon?

Which club is closer to a flag - Carlton or Essendon?

• Carlton

Votes: 153 47.8%
  • Essendon

Votes: 75 23.4%
  • Neither in next 10 ywars

Votes: 92 28.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok. I'll exclude him to make you feel better.

Also he has play out the season now. He's playing well though. He'd better because there's nothing behind him.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app
It’s not about making me feel better, it’s more to illustrate how a single player can make something appear different to what it is especially when you’re talking fine margins.

I think this is a bit of a fallacy. Carlton aren't that much older than the Bombers and some weeks, the team that plays is younger than Essendon's.

This may shock many, but for the majority of this season, Essendon's 23 have been in the oldest half of the league. They've been older than all of their opponents bar the Pies and the Bulldogs.

That's largely because of Goldstein and Heppell who are playing their last year. They're not our core players. The players who are leading the side this year however are our young players like Martin, Perkins, Caldwell and Durham. Yesterday when Merrett was being tagged and Parish wasn't playing well, it was Perkins, Caldwell and Durham that lifted our midfield.

Carlton have an older core group of players that are leading their side compared to Essendon.

Carlton are still 2-3 seasons ahead of where Essendon are, regardless of the ladder position. We're overachieving on the ladder at the moment, but there's still work to do. Carlton are very close to the finished product with this list and would be trying to get something out of Curnow, McKay, Weitering and Cripps while they're all in the prime.

Carlton have too many injuries. The replacements fill barely manage to fill holes on a weekly basis. We have players who spend half a season not playing due to hamstring tightness. A lot of questions need to be asked about the amount of injuries we continue to have had for the past 3 seasons and until that list is minimised, the window simply isn't there
The only thing that matters at this stage of the years is winning, which Carlton are doing. I'd say Carlton have already proven themselves that they can win when it matters in September so I think the window has well and truly opened for them, especially with how even the top 8 teams have been. Sydney are the only ones who have separated themselves and are a class above right now, though even they lost to Richmond and were pushed by West Coast only a little over a month ago.

Theres something about Carlton that still hasn't convinced me they're the real deal. Its hard to pin down, but it has a lot to do with coaching. Voss to me seems quite one dimensional as a coach and their list isnt even.

Essendon impressive but Id need to see more before Im convinced. Carlton still more likely to win it this year but I have neither in my final top 4.

A Carlton v Essendon final would be amazing to go see live. Last one was good (was there) and the ones in the 90s would have been amazing too.

Here I am giving Carlton credit through pain and gritted teeth and this is what I get.

In reality, I hope Carlton crash and burn and never win anything. Is that better?
Sorry mate, not enough coffee this morning, it was meant for the Pie supporter, will fix it up now.

I think this is a bit of a fallacy. Carlton aren't that much older than the Bombers and some weeks, the team that plays is younger than Essendon's.

This may shock many, but for the majority of this season, Essendon's 23 have been in the oldest half of the league. They've been older than all of their opponents bar the Pies and the Bulldogs.

Tell me you don't know how averages work without saying "I dont know how averages work."

That's largely because of Goldstein and Heppell who are playing their last year. They're not our core players. The players who are leading the side this year however are our young players like Martin, Perkins, Caldwell and Durham. Yesterday when Merrett was being tagged and Parish wasn't playing well, it was Perkins, Caldwell and Durham that lifted our midfield.

Carlton have an older core group of players that are leading their side compared to Essendon.
Goldstein is in your most important half dozen players right now. If he goes down it falls on Bryan. Draper is going to miss some time and is more hype than anything if he weren't injured.

Can the big fella keep this up for the rest of the year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not saying the averages are wrong.

I'm saying your analysis is flawed.

Einstein.
Please do go on. I'm all ears.

Just exactly how is my analysis incorrect?

I replied to a quote stating that Carlton are much more mature. How can this be measured? I chose average age.

I'm also reading everywhere that Essendon are a young team. That's blatantly false as they're in the top half of the league age-wise in most cases top third.

Please do go on. I'm all ears.

Just exactly how is my analysis incorrect?

I replied to a quote stating that Carlton are much more mature. How can this be measured? I chose average age.

I'm also reading everywhere that Essendon are a young team. That's blatantly false as they're in the top half of the league age-wise in most cases top third.

What do the average games played say? Bearing in mind Goldstein would skew that a lot too?

It's kinda awkward for Blues fans. Don't want to give Essendon credit for beating Giants but discount Giants and all they're left with for their "premiership contending team" is a couple of umpire influenced falls over the line against Melbourne and Fremantle.

sweating key and peele GIF
I haven't read the whole thread since the GWS win, but are people really discrediting it?
I don't see how anyone genuinely could. It's a good win. It's the other wins and losses that have question marks. They aren't the only team in that boat though and there's plenty of time to see what their genuine form looks like.

Back