Think Tank Who really is "The greatest team of all?" - stake your claim here

Remove this Banner Ad

So, greatest team of all is Collingwood with 15 flags and only 2 spoons, any nayes?

Your team should have been sent back to the SANFL for losing by 119 points and ending the cats 44 year drought 56 years early

Mr Rockstar should withdraw that ridiculously irrelevant remark, stick to the facts and render a public apology.

In 2007 the Port fraternity cared about the health and general welbeing of the Kardinia Kats my friend.

It's a real pity that the honest folks of the wider football community cannot say the same thing about the Pies farcical October victories in 1990 and 2010.

Write to Eddie and get him to return all silverware associated with these "so-called" 1990 and 2010 premierships to AFL House or directly to a nearby foundry for proper re-processing and disposal.

Two Hypothetical Clubs that have played for 100 years:

Gee I wonder which Club is worth following? The Superior Club number 2 with its greater Score of 1 or the irresponsible and reckless Club number 1 with its zero score rating?

Spoons.JPG

Lol, another one of those cracking graphics.

Cats in Op's head, bouncing around and preventing him from sleeping. Poor OP.

Port recognized as Australia’s most successful club
AFL Commission accepts all clubs can acknowledge their success from outside the VFL-AFL competition

PORT Adelaide can now claim it is Australian football’s most-successful club with 37 flags - with AFL approval.
Port Adelaide's record is 37 titles - 36 SANFL premierships and one AFL flag in 2004.

Good to see that not even one catflog can be bothered pretending their team is actually worthy of the GTOA mantle - gentlemen I applaud your honesty and humility, kudos. Good to see those hours in therapy are finally paying off

To the rest, if you disagree that flags & spoons is a valid determination, feel free to explain your own rating system and the result. That is after all the point of the thread, to identify the true GTOA.

Two Hypothetical Clubs that have played for 100 yearsView attachment 698742

Can you point out which club/s in my table you feel are being unfairly ranked in this manner?

“In logic, reductio ad absurdum(Latin for "reduction to absurdity"), also known as argumentum ad absurdum (Latin for "argument to absurdity"), apagogical argumentsor the appeal to extremes, is a form of argument that attempts either to disprove a statement by showing it inevitably leads to a ridiculous, absurd, or impractical conclusion”

Can you point out which club/s in my table you feel are being unfairly ranked in this manner?

“In logic, reductio ad absurdum(Latin for "reduction to absurdity"), also known as argumentum ad absurdum (Latin for "argument to absurdity"), apagogical argumentsor the appeal to extremes, is a form of argument that attempts either to disprove a statement by showing it inevitably leads to a ridiculous, absurd, or impractical conclusion”

That's not the point. You are allocating an equal and opposite magnitude to gaining a spoon as you are to winning a premiership.
How are these two related when they cannot occur in the same year?
How difficult is it to win a premiership compared to ending up on the bottom of the ladder?

Why not allocate -0.0025 for every wooden spoon and 128.43 for every premiership won?

Better still why not ignore the number of wooden spoons a Club has received in its history all together?

You are after all looking at the elite success of a Club and that is usually assessed on the number of Grand Finals it has won. Why would any wooden spoon received in the past diminish the value of a premiership won today?

I dont know any supporter who thinks that way.

I get your point but you have once again failed to provide an alternative proposal. What do you want to count, flags only? Are all flags equal? How do you split teams that are tied on flags?

Better still why not ignore the number of wooden spoons a Club has received in its history all together?

Because s**t truck teams and tankers win more spoons EG STK and Carlscum

Look at the Bluesers: last premiership 1995; since then 5 spoons and looking good for #6

‘Aints: 1 flag in 122 years and a million spoons... are they as good/bad as say Port who have 1 flag in 100 less years?

I dont know any supporter who thinks that way.

Carlton flogs certainly did before they got their first spoon. And Someone (non-Carlton) here mentioned it fairly recently

Last edited:
I get your point but you have once again failed to provide an alternative proposal. What do you want to count, flags only? Are all flags equal? How do you split teams that are tied on flags?

Because **** truck teams and tankers win more spoons EG STK and Carlscum

Look at the Bluesers: last premiership 1995; since then 5 spoons and looking good for #6

‘Aints: 1 flag in 122 years and a million spoons... are they as good/bad as say Port who have 1 flag in 100 less years?

Carlton flogs certainly did before they got their first spoon. And Someone (non-Carlton) here mentioned it fairly recently
Why would you split teams that are on equal number of flags?
In any case, teams have gained each flag against different opponents, under different rules, in different eras etc over a period of 120 years or more.

Here is something to chew over.
A Carlton fan once told me that his club had won 16.5 flags on the grounds that during North Melbourne's flag winning years of 1996 and 1999, the Carlton Football Club owned about 25% of the shares in the North Melbourne Football Club. So the Blues apparently picked up two additional quarter cups giving the club a total of 16.5 premierships.

I wouldnt split clubs based on premierships anyway. Since about 1960 the most successful AFL/VFL clubs in terms of premierships won are the Hawks followed by the Blues. What does this stat really mean?

Since the AFL corrupted the game with a discriminating draft and salary cap system and has a farcical draw each season where teams dont play each other twice each season, the results are even more meaningless.

Fancy giving the Swans an extra 1 million dollars in their salary cap just because coffee costs a few cents more in Sydney.

Weiner Breath getting owned by Port fans now. Only interesting thing about this thread.

Can't wwwwwwait for the next one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

^ it’s from your club song DH

Why would you split teams that are on equal number of flags?

Clearly the phrase “greatest team of all” implies that one team is better than all the others

Unless it’s just a song lyric that some berk thought sounded good and has no actual application to reality

^ it’s from your club song DH

Clearly the phrase “greatest team of all” implies that one team is better than all the others

Unless it’s just a song lyric that some berk thought sounded good and has no actual application to reality

"Greatest team of all" doesnt refer to the Club's history but rather a specific group of players or era of success. The triple premiership period of the Lions in 2001-2003 for example.
Your song lyrics as well as the chorus and bridge are all over the shop Mr Rockstar.
How would you answer the question "Who is the greatest tennis player of all time"?

Would you base it on grand slam wins, prize money won Davis Cup performances, period ranked as number 1 in the world? Would you subtract "points" for each time a played is knocked out in the first round?

Even the basis for quantification of the ranking is subjective right Mr Rockstar?

^ Of course it is. That’s why the thread title asks a question and says “stake your claim”. If it was definitive there’d be no point inviting opinions. Just saying “your method is wrong” or “it’s unknowable” is pretty boring

"Greatest team of all" doesnt refer to the Club's history but rather a specific group of players or era of success. The triple premiership period of the Lions in 2001-2003 for example.

I don't know if you're referring to the song or the phrase or both. Greatest is a superlative and implies singling out one from many. Otherwise they're just a great team. Geelong clearly weren't the greatest of anything prior to 1963, had a 44 year drought after and apart from almost stringing together some flags from 2007-2011 they haven't done anything special ever.

How would you answer the question "Who is the greatest tennis player of all time"? Would you base it on grand slam wins, prize money won Davis Cup performances, period ranked as number 1 in the world? Would you subtract "points" for each time a played is knocked out in the first round?

I don't get why people feel the need to use analogies when they're totally unnecessary. We're already talking about the best football team, and flags and spoons - why change it to tennis and grand slams or prize money? Surely you can labour your point some more using football...

I put up an even weighting of spoons and flags as a starting point, partly because I think they're somehow relevant and partly because it favours my club. Clearly you think spoons aren't relevant. So what metrics do you consider relevant? Just flags, or flags and something else? And which of the remaining teams, now that geelong have been eliminated as pretenders, do you think are worthy candidates for the title?

Last edited:
I don't get why people feel the need to use analogies when they're totally unnecessary.

I am a Port Power fan and do whatever I like.
We have freedom at the club to express ourselves in whatever manner we wish.
Even though Australia is the only Western Nation that lacks a Human Rights Bill, the Port Power community knows exactly what is right and what is wrong in this country.
You Collingwood supporters are all the same Mr Rockstar. You end the season as runner ups and you think you're the best thing since sliced bread.

A certain minnow team has been claiming since 1963 that they are "the greatest team of all" despite the fact that at that time they only had 5 flags and have only won 3 in the 55 years since 1963 and are yet to break out of single digits. Clearly they're just compensating

So who is the true "GTOA" in our competition, and how do you measure it? I say it's clearly Collingwood. Second in VFL/AFL flags with 15 and only 2 wooden spoons in 122 seasons

View attachment 698441

Mount your case for your own team - what makes you the true "greatest team of all"?

PS Song lyrics are not a valid reason
PPS Saints fans, don't embarrass yourselves

Premierships are a marketing ploy but we have 16 if it matters. When your club eventually builds a list with "stars on every line" you'll understand true greatness.

There's around 122 premierships but only one AFL record holder. We're so good we almost beat our own record for highest score in a match.

And where does that rank you?

Combined with all my clubs other achievements in comparison the other 17 it would be an undisputed number 1

There's also the fact Geelong actually won the 1930 Grand Final. And probably should be awarded the 1995 premiership also.

So you’re triggered by song lyrics from over a century ago now, big deal if you personally can’t get over it but why start a thread based on it that only exposes your butthirt further. :$:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back