Prediction Who will Captain GCFC in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Suns Soldier

Team Captain
Sep 22, 2017
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Time we discussed the white elephant in the room. We have lost 2 of our three captains and our third Captain is in limbo and undecided.

Who do you think is a born leader?
Why would you choose them?
Will they bleed red, and yellow for their club?

If May signs soon then he gets to keep the captaincy — still has some improvement to make as a leader though, more composure and fewer brain-fades. Otherwise, it's David Swallow with Miler as VC for mine. Regrettably, I think David will have a shorter career than most, his steadiness and loyalty in this period should be rewarded asap.

I just don't get the Miller thing- way too young
We need maturity and perspective
Last thing we want is someone who's still finding his way as a footballer taking on the captaincy
All things being equal Dave will walk away with his second B+F this year- having won it in arguably our best year 2014
Don't underestimate him as a person or a leader- the younger guys will look up to him
His brother did a fine job at North

Would actually love Swallow as captain.

But... if May signs long-term this off season he should continue if he has the players support/vote.

Swallow hopefully then vice.

And Miller deputy vice.

swallow is the obvious choice if may leaves. miller would definitely be in consideration. i like fiorini as a long term leadership candidate too, but it would be good to get some QLD boys in the mix like bowes.

I wonder if Swallow has inadvertently put his hand up for captaincy by coming forward in the media with his long term contract extension proposal. It shows faith in troubled times and that’s a quality that captains should inherently have.

On my Using the App

(Log in to remove this ad.)

swallow is the obvious choice if may leaves. miller would definitely be in consideration. i like fiorini as a long term leadership candidate too, but it would be good to get some QLD boys in the mix like bowes.
Bowes and Fiorini are highly regarded as leaders. Absolute professionals apparently

I think we need to accept that May will not be extending his contract.

The club has taken a very firm stance on what it expects from a captain, especially after 2 have walked out on them and left them in vulnerable situations.

If a deal hasn’t been brokered by now then I’m afraid it’s not going to happen. The club is not some needy Tuesday night hookup, it commands loyalty and leadership.

As a player and captain, If you can’t provide it to your fans, coaches and teammates, pack your bags.

With talk of May leaving and meeting with clubs still going on do you think it's more likely you'll have a new captain next year, even if he does stay?
unless he signs on for a few years in the off season the captaincy will go to Swallow or Touk

Since the emergence of Leadership Groups and co-captaincy, the position of Vice Captain has become under-valued. Whoever it is, only one person should be named Club Captain. It seems crystal clear that May is first choice on the proviso that he signs before the season starts.

Of the 2018 Leaderships Group, Lynch has left, Rosa has retired, Barlow has been delisted and the 5 remaining are May, Swallow, Miller, Witts and Hanley. If there is an unofficial vice captain in 2018 it would have to have been Witts, who captained the side when May was suspended.

I would add Harbrow, Weller and Bowes to the group. Harbs because I think his mentoring style of leadership fits in much more closely with Dew's approach. Weller because of the leadership he's displayed in 2018. Bowes because he's the future of the Suns and will be around when all these others have gone.

One Captain needs multiple vice captains. May has the job now, so I would name 3 vice captains, one veteran leader, one mid-career leader and one young leader. Witts, Swallow and Miller would be a good start.

As for May, there are dozens of rumours and nothing has been confirmed. Some people are sick to death constant speculation and just want to get rid of him before he drags things out like Lynch did, but May deserves better than that. If half what I've heard is true then May is in no hurry to sign anything. The guy needs some time and given it is still September and he's got a contract for 2019, he's got weeks to announce his decision.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back