Prediction Who will win the 2018 Premiership, early predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair to say the team that wins the grand final is a certainty
Melbourne Storm endorse this post and want their premierships back

The evenness of the competition is the factor X in any predictive equation, other have put the proposition and BlueRenaissance has restated the situation very well above. I agree with him that Melbourne are now well placed to push into the eight and from there anything can happen as we have witnessed with the dishlickers and the tuggers - two years in a row where teams lacking a bevy of proven so called stars - still overcome more fancied opponents.

I also agree that injury and fitness and hunger for it are the determinant factors in how Clubs finish the season and into finals. Teams like Sydney/Adelaide/GWS/Geelong are experienced enough to drag themselves over the line during H&A and position themselves more easily in the top4 - but teams with good enough top25 players to compete can last the journey into finals - and again anything can happen from there.

I don't see a huge difference between any of the teams and the differences will become even less clear cut as all Clubs are becoming expert at finding value in trades to fill perceived gaps - all going as planned - Port , Melbourne and EssenDONE have improved the depth and quality of the experienced parts of their list - they will all be better for it in 2018.

Just below the sides mentioned above I place all the rest in a similar developing situations - and development these days is more likely than not to evidencve marked shifts in on field performance - sooner rather than later. On any day, Collingwood can beat anyone as can Saints. After these clearly Carlton, Brisbane should be poised for more surprise capability whilst WC/Norfs/Suns are perhaps a little lighter on in depth and development right now.

My most improved into top4 pick would be Port - if the coach can get the players hungry enough.

I see Melbourne as having all the pieces, and are capable of getting them to play well together, but good performances not translating into winning games of footy.

See this year. They almost got scuppered by us playing two down on the bench, and had to switch away from their brand to running us around, as we had their measure until that point despite playing some of our worst footy. Each time they'd go into a match as a favourite, they'd play their best footy for a bit but still let the opposition stay closer than they really should, then the result would be determined by whether or not Melbourne did a Richmond, something they are rather prone to doing.

Not 2018, maybe 2019. If they develop anything resembling a spine that is. Need good old fashioned mongrel, not the popinjay bullshit Oliver represents. Dig in and play meat and potatoes footy for a bit and grind the won.

Port and Essendon certainly think the window is open. They're probably right, because if Richmond can win it anyone can.

I think it'll be GWS next year. Lobb in the ruck leaves them with a more balanced forward line.
"If Richmond can..." Very true if teams are prepared to work really, really hard and consistently commit and believe... And then play well on the day.

Port and Essendon certainly think the window is open. They're probably right, because if Richmond can win it anyone can.

I think it'll be GWS next year. Lobb in the ruck leaves them with a more balanced forward line.
Agree with the Richmond comments..........still cannot see them as the premiers!!! Still expecting to wake up from this nightmare any second now.......I think the likely premiers will come from Swans,Crows (if they don`t choke again), or Giants(see:Crows) but like you said anyone can win it.........not * hopefully!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All things being equal l would pick GWS

I doubt any team with the injuries they had would've made the 8

2 years in row making the prelim & 2 stars out concussed before half time. They have finals experience & you would imagine plenty of determination.

Melb could be the big movers as they were unsettled & undisciplined at times last year.

But l must admit, in a pretty even field, l fear Ess. They appear to have a pretty potent team around the fringes & spine. Remember the Hawks won 3 with a midrange midfield. Their wings & flankers were bloody good. I take heart that Ess are not as good but also Worsfold l don't rate as a game day coach. They also don't have the leaders as the Hawks did.

Kennedy - 29
Parker - 25
Hannebery - 26
Heeney - 21

Jack is 30, but not close to being one of their best.

Reckon they'll be fine.

I'd be more worried about Swans ability to run on a bigger ground like the MCG.

Their recent record there is quite poor.

They are good on the inside but seem to lack outside run.

It pains me to say this, but I have these disgusting thoughts in my head that * will make and lose the Grand Final.

Geelong to win with Gazza retiring afterwards, à la manière de Peyton Manning

It pains me to say this, but I have these disgusting thoughts in my head that * will make and lose the Grand Final.

Geelong to win with Gazza retiring afterwards, à la manière de Peyton Manning
noted - you no longer cut the oranges............

Remove this Banner Ad

Back