FTA-TV Who would've been on the 9 Commentary Team for 2002-06 Grand Finals?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jascave

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2005
Sandringham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers
Channel 9 had the TV rights to the AFL in the period 2002-06 (along with 10 and Fox Footy Mx 1).

But the problem for Nine is that they didn't do the 2002-06 Grand Finals-Ten, the 'junior' partner of the alliance did the Grand Finals instead.

So, for the benefit of the exercise, say Nine did the 2002, 2004 and 2006 Grand Finals while Ten covered 2003 and 2005.

Who would've been on Nine's commentary team for ie 2002 Grand Final?

My pick:

HOST: Ken Sutcliffe (remember that Eddie McGuire couldn't call or host the telecast as he was the president of Collingwood and they were playing the Brisbane Lions).
COMMENTARY: Dennis Cometti, Dwayne Russell, Dermott Brereton, Garry Lyon
BOUNDARY REPORT: Tony Jones, Dr Peter Larkins

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They may have even gone with a Sunday Footy Show type set up should The Male Model from Mudgee been too occupied with the NRL GF's (possible if both were on the same weekend), so perhaps Simon O'Donnell may have handled hosting duties but apart from that the commentary team would have been as suggested, unless they wanted to add Michael Roberts if they wanted double reporter coverage on the boundary.

I am certain the GF and the Brownlow Medal were rotated during the five years - So in Year one there was a coin toss and the winner got the GF and the loser the Brownlow Medal - And then it rotated.

They may have even gone with a Sunday Footy Show type set up should The Male Model from Mudgee been too occupied with the NRL GF's (possible if both were on the same weekend), so perhaps Simon O'Donnell may have handled hosting duties but apart from that the commentary team would have been as suggested, unless they wanted to add Michael Roberts if they wanted double reporter coverage on the boundary.

And remember Tim Lane was originally on the Nine AFL commentary team only to pull out 24 hours before the first AFL game Nine televised that year (it was Richmond v Collingwood), because of a difference of opinion over Collingwood President Eddie McGuire calling Collingwood's Friday night games on Nine. If there's one thing I don't understand, why couldn't Sandy Roberts or Bruce McAvaney call the games on radio (ie 3AW) when Seven lost the rights for the 2002-06 period.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back