Why are VFL flags officially counted?

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolute crap .. .. Think the AFL Commission knows more about Port Adelaide than Diane. But you keep throwing this out ..
2020 Port will be celebrating 150 years, so then you can take this letter and wipe your arse with it, as that's all it's worth.
I'll happily celebrate Port Adelaide Magpies 150 years -They deserve it.
Meanwhile, try and understand the difference between the logos of Collingwood Magpies and Port Adelaide Magpies...Oh and just keep chugging that Port Adelaide Paer Koolaid.

I don't mind the VFL flags being counted but we all know the value of them is less for a variety of reasons compared to more recent flags. Less teams, salary cap cheating, amateur era.

but the history worth recognising

I don't mind the VFL flags being counted but we all know the value of them is less for a variety of reasons compared to more recent flags. Less teams, salary cap cheating, amateur era.

but the history worth recognising
....at least the draw was fair during the VFL period.
The ranking of the 8 teams that make the finals each year is a total farce. We have interstate teams receiving special conditions and perks. I cant think of another deliberately compromised professional sport in the world today. Apart from the 2004 grand final, where the Australian sporting community saw a worthy and honest winner of the premiership cup, the rest of the so called AFL Flags, are worthless smelly undergarments.

....at least the draw was fair during the VFL period.
The ranking of the 8 teams that make the finals each year is a total farce. We have interstate teams receiving special conditions and perks. I cant think of another deliberately compromised professional sport in the world today. Apart from the 2004 grand final, where the Australian sporting community saw a worthy and honest winner of the premiership cup, the rest of the so called AFL Flags, are worthless smelly undergarments.

I'm fairly sure Port cheated

didn't we hide Lade, PBurger and others?

I'll happily celebrate Port Adelaide Magpies 150 years -They deserve it.
I have no problems with that, if that's what you want to celebrate lol ... you go ahead, and I am sure you will be the only one doing it. Oh, there might be a few crow flogs, also in denial, joining you.
But the Port Adelaide Football Club Ltd will celebrate 150 years in 2020. I think they know their history, and preparations for same are well advanced. More to come ...

.....and SA Flags not counted?

I will check later on with Hinkley as to the exakt total, but I am fairly certain that the Mighty Port Power Warrior Machine Komplex has plenty of these so called "flags" that you philosophise about my friends.

A record number of CHAMPIONSHIP of AUSTRALIA wins. The 1910 Championship win was especially delightful against the Klowns from Viktoria Park. A shamble facsimile replica of the Might Port Adelaide Machine my friends

View attachment 721574...a fine viktory

My rediculous Magpie friends should take a look at this lot.....take a long hard look

PremiershipsAFL(1)
Championship of Australia(4)

SANFL pre AFL entry(34)
1955,1956,1957,1958,1959,1962,1963,1965,1977,1979,1980,1981,1988,1989,1990,1992,1994,1995,1996,

SANFL post AFL entry(2)
WWI Patriotic League(2)
WWII Patriotic League(1)
1942 (as Port-Torrens)
We're talking real flags here though. Ones you get from a box of cereal don't count.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

They're not, in the table above they're clearly counted as "AFL/VFL" Premierships. The distinction is made for a reason.
That is used to denote a name change within the same competition, this has occurred in many countries ie EPL and all still count the flags/cups/trophies from the previously named competition.

If you look at it from a business perspective a name change does not remove any accolades won/earned prior to the name change, why because it is just a name change.

Lets not mistake this with what happened with the breakaway from the VFA, which is a different competition.

Just a question, if west coast or Richmond were found out to have spent 2m over the salary cap in our premiership years we would obviously have our flags stripped by the AFL because of an unfair advantage. I think what Benny78 is trying to say is these premierships that were “bought” should be seen in the same way. Is this unreasonable?

Carlton I believe were found to be in breach of salary cap in their 16th flag year (If I am correct). Before salary cap it's very hard to quantify how much flags were "bought" - the most famous was around the 75 flag when North supposedly bought their 1st flag by buying players like Doug Wade and others like Cable IIRC. North aren't noted as one of the big 4 yet this has been the most documented of "financing" a flag before the cap.

Is not a simple question to answer really - the big 4 were destination clubs for various reasons one being they're high profile, every kids dream to play in a flag for a big club I guess.

Was it the same in the WAFL and SANFL? Dunno but certainly clubs like Port or South Freo were high profile?.

If there's anything I could liken it to would be non cap competitions like the EPL but I very much doubt the financial difference between the likes of Collingwood and St Kilda at the time would be anywhere near like what Man U and Luton would be.

fu** me some people on here really struggle to read and it's like one of lifes most basic skills. When I say "the rich clubs bought flags due to lack of salary cap". Your "brain" shouldn't translate that to "benny said all 12 clubs each get a turn at the flag shop to buy a flag"

Serious question, do you know the definition of sarcasm?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about people who call Mathias Cormann an Australian? Are they being sarcastic too?

I always thought the guy was a nazi

Ooo kaay, got no idea why you're quoting a supposed opinion on an Australian citizen / public servant so I gather you didn't comprehend (understand) my question?

The reason I asked is because the post you replied to was in sarcasm - thought that would've been obvious. However it's obvious that was lost on you.

Port recognised as Australia’s most successful club

PORT Adelaide can now claim it is Australian football’s most-successful club with 37 flags - with AFL Commission approval.

A Lead up to this..
Fairfax Media revealed last week that the AFL is strongly considering a series of recommendations which if accepted will backdate the competition's official history to 1870, the year in which Melbourne claimed the game's first recorded premiership.
But Port Adelaide CEO Keith Thomas has argued that if such amendments are made, then his club's 34 state league premierships won prior to its 1997 entry into the AFL should also be included.
Port Adelaide is unique in the sense that it is the only non-Victorian club to have entered the AFL as a pre-existing state league entity. The Port Adelaide Power which arrived on the AFL scene in 1997 is officially the same organisation as the Port Adelaide Magpies which had competed in South Australia for 126 years.

What about North King Island football club with 48 flags?

Carlton I believe were found to be in breach of salary cap in their 16th flag year (If I am correct). Before salary cap it's very hard to quantify how much flags were "bought" - the most famous was around the 75 flag when North supposedly bought their 1st flag by buying players like Doug Wade and others like Cable IIRC. North aren't noted as one of the big 4 yet this has been the most documented of "financing" a flag before the cap.

Is not a simple question to answer really - the big 4 were destination clubs for various reasons one being they're high profile, every kids dream to play in a flag for a big club I guess.

Was it the same in the WAFL and SANFL? Dunno but certainly clubs like Port or South Freo were high profile?.

If there's anything I could liken it to would be non cap competitions like the EPL but I very much doubt the financial difference between the likes of Collingwood and St Kilda at the time would be anywhere near like what Man U and Luton would be.

Of course it was the same in the WAFL, West Perth, East Perth and East Fremantle were all destination clubs in WA, Subiaco the last 10 years are still doing it.
From a West Aussie point of view only North and Carlton seemed to be destination clubs, a splattering of players went to other VFL clubs but North and Carlton seem to of been the clubs the WA players went to.

I'm sorry, you are right. The the SANFL should be recognised for producing many great players of incredible skill, intelligence and hardness as the VFL's feeder league.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

...dont go overboard my friend.
Your apology is accepted. But you will need to make a donation to a charity. I will let you know which charity and how much by the end of the month.

What about North King Island football club with 48 flags?
Oh ... did not know they were in the AFL ..
King Island football teams rely on backpackers to fill ranks in local competition
Tasmania's King Island Football Association says a steady stream of backpackers has helped to keep its competition afloat this season.
The island, off the north-west tip of Tasmania, is home to less than 2,000 people and its football league is only made up of three clubs.

Three Club competition :p :D o_O o_O o_O o_O o_O o_O

What's the reason (or official statement) by the AFL for recognizing VFL premierships under the modern league? This was a 12 team state league with no salary cap, no draft equalization system and the richest clubs constantly bought their success due to these specific absences.

It's hard to believe the AFL recognize these flags alongside AFL premierships. They are anything but equal. Are clubs afraid of "losing" their heritage? Do baby boomers show up at AFLHQ with torches everytime someone raises the topic?

What's the actual reason they're officially counted in the modern day?
You sound just like a Manchester United or Chelsea supporter...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back