Strategy Wingers

Remove this Banner Ad

Long term the likes of Freeman, Sidebottom, Marsh, Seedsman and Karnezis can be our wing rotation.

I wouldn't put Kennedy or Broomhead in there, they are simply too "inside" to play as permanent wingmen, that is they can actually win their own ball to make up the majority of their possessions and would be somewhat wasted as pure outside players.

Long term the likes of Freeman, Sidebottom, Marsh, Seedsman and Karnezis can be our wing rotation.

I wouldn't put Kennedy or Broomhead in there, they are simply too "inside" to play as permanent wingmen, that is they can actually win their own ball to make up the majority of their possessions and would be somewhat wasted as pure outside players.
Wouldnt really say Broomhead is 'too inside' for a spot on the wing, especially with slight body he has at the moment.

any takers on Shazz rotating through the wing as well. Kicking skills are elite and with his height is a tough matchup. Not suggesting that he is a perm winger but a viable option on a horses for courses basis.

Freeman is more inside than Broomhead

I might be old but why do wingers suddenly have to be outside players? All of the best Magpie wingers I've seen (from Merrett to Watt, Robert Dean and Ricky Barham, Wright, Millane and Brown, even Daisy Thomas and Sidey) All the best wingers are great contested ball winners. They all have speed, agility, courage and class but above all else they could all win their own ball. Freeman and Broomhead have the endurance and skill required to burn up and down the MCG all day but they also have the ability to win their own ball.

Wouldnt really say Broomhead is 'too inside' for a spot on the wing, especially with slight body he has at the moment.
Broomhead is one of the gutsiest kids I've seen, he'll literally throw that body in everywhere, once he builds it up a bit he will be a pure AFL midfielder capable of winning his own ball. Gavin Brown was a skinny kid at first too.

Lumumba and Armstrong on wings?

lol is this what we have been reduced to? Such mediocrity.

The days of Daisy Thomas, Alan Didak, Ben Johnson, Sharrod Wellingham all rotating through flanks and wings and two of them are still entering their peak years in terms of age....how I miss the good old days.

If we are serious, we won't have guys like Lumumba on a wing or a part of the midfield rotations.

Lumumba and Armstrong on wings?

lol is this what we have been reduced to? Such mediocrity.

The days of Daisy Thomas, Alan Didak, Ben Johnson, Sharrod Wellingham all rotating through flanks and wings and two of them are still entering their peak years in terms of age....how I miss the good old days.

If we are serious, we won't have guys like Lumumba on a wing or a part of the midfield rotations.

I might be old but why do wingers suddenly have to be outside players? All of the best Magpie wingers I've seen (from Merrett to Watt, Robert Dean and Ricky Barham, Wright, Millane and Brown, even Daisy Thomas and Sidey) All the best wingers are great contested ball winners. They all have speed, agility, courage and class but above all else they could all win their own ball. Freeman and Broomhead have the endurance and skill required to burn up and down the MCG all day but they also have the ability to win their own ball.

Having the ability to win your own ball doesn't exclude you from being outside. Dale Thomas and Steele Sidebottom are both outside players that have the ability to win their own ball. Danyle Pearce and Stephen Hill have the ability to win their own ball but are outside players. Also not being able to win your own ball doesn't mean you can't be a good player for a good side either. Bradley Hill and Isaac Smith are pure outsiders but are still great players.

Personally, I'd rather have Freeman in the centre square so we can have another speedster on a wing.

Freeman, Broomhead, Seedsman, Sidebottom and Karnezis. Sounds like a solid second string midfield in coming years with the centre group being Pendles, Adams and Beams. Could do with one more big/tall in and under player. Macaffer would be a natural fit if he honed his offensive game rather than play as a pure stopper, he is a beastly 1v1 player.

Seedsman would be the pure outsider in that group while the others are capable of playing on flanks or centre square as part of the rotation. Difference between say Jetta and Hannebery at Sydney though both are wingers. Guys like Lumumba, Young and Dwyer would be phased out in this scenario though. Can't fit em all in.

Who are the best wingers on our team?

Currently I'm seeing mainly Steele Sidebottom and Heritier Lumumba start on the wings. I think Lumumba should rotate with Armstrong on the one wind and Sidebottom rotate with Broomhead on the other.
Love a good strategy but I'm not sure that works with Buckleys contested footy game plan.

I'm happy for Harry to be traded out end of season. Got to get rid of unko players to move forward.
His time has come and gone. Goodbye to young as well.
Armstrong is the future on the wing. Freeman, Sharanberg, Broomhead, Seedsman, all got potential. Harry, young just average and no chance of getting better time to move them on with Blair make then another clubs problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm happy for Harry to be traded out end of season. Got to get rid of unko players to move forward.
His time has come and gone. Goodbye to young as well.
Armstrong is the future on the wing. Freeman, Sharanberg, Broomhead, Seedsman, all got potential. Harry, young just average and no chance of getting better time to move them on with Blair make then another clubs problem.
We could get Dick back with Armstrong on to the wing and Corrie and Leon Davis back and recruit Krakouer I'm doing it right?

I think once Marsh has had some time to develop his game and has his fundamentals down pat he could well explode into the elite bracket playing on a wing or running off half back. One only needs to watch highlights package from his draft year to see he's got gifts rarely seen in any one player which could make him nigh on unstoppable.
His combination height, build, ball gathering ability at ground level and most impressive of all, blistering pace make him a one of a kind player. If we can harness those strengths, iron out some of his deficiencies (eg.not a great kick) and take the time to develop him in the role with any luck we'll have a true game breaker on our hands. He could be such a nightmare for the opposition that dealing with him could let several players run free, I really believe he could be that good.

I think this is definitely an area of weakness right now for us.

That said, our inside game is so bad at the moment that our wingmen aren't getting utilised.

If we can get better at inside footy, then I reckon guys like Young, Seedsman, Broomhead and Lumumba would be pretty dominant on a wing.

I'd love a Stephen Hill type. Seedsman could be anything, I just hope he has an awesome pre-season to take his game to a new level.

I don't know how skillful by foot Freeman is but if he is any good I'd like him to be outside to receive and burst away. On a wing or off the back of the square at centre bounces.

As a general rule I think it's best to have good ball users and those with pace to be given clear air to receive, run and deliver. Let Kennedy, Adams win it in the middle and dish off.

In that sense Broomhead and Freeman might be the guys. Sidey is a great decision maker and good user so his lack of burst is not necessarily a problem on the wing but up forward his smarts could be useful.

Seedsman has pace and a reasonable foot but if there is a tussle then at the minute he is not up to scratch. As a link up option on the wing as the ball comes out of defence he seems a good prospect but he has to win the contest. Back flank until he can win his own ball, probably same with PK.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back