With no pick and costing them absolutely nothing whatsoever, Geelong draft Tyson Stengle, formerly from the Richmond Tigers and Adelaide Crows, both w

Remove this Banner Ad

Can you get onto the GFC social media team and urge them to call him Steggles ?

Toss up between Steggles and Boy George (Hewett) for recruit of the year for my money,

Feels great getting an absolute an A grade gun to your footy club without giving up any draft picks at all. How much Hawthorn pay for that turkey O'Meara again lol
I have a sneaky feeling he’s aware of his cult following on Social media

“To be honest, he’s a bit like Eddie Betts. When the ball hits the hands, he’s just a nightmare to play on. There’s not really much you can do sometimes and he just kicks freaky goals like Eddie. He’s got lots of tricks in his bag.

“Eddie’s a great mentor because he‘s a very similar player. I don’t know what’s in the water where those boys are from, but I’d love some of it.

“I’ve been fortunate in a way to play on both of them and it‘s freaky some of the stuff they can do.”

Stengle’s dramatic rise as a Cat continued on Saturday, booting three telling goals from 18 disposals and six marks in another eye-catching performance.

The 23-year-old has now kicked 29 goals from 14 games so far this season, slotting into an already stacked Cats forward line with aplomb.
77e0dad1aa63a351b693b85096b09e63

3. Classy Cat is the recruit of the year

George Hewett and Will Brodie are both right in the mix for this title, but Tyson Stengle has moved clear of the midfield pair after his match-winning performance against Richmond on Saturday. With the Cats trailing by three goals in the last quarter, Stengle was the catalyst to get his side back on top. He kicked one goal, had a crucial hand in Brad Close's major shortly after and then set up Jeremy Cameron for the go-ahead goal. When the Tigers hit the front with two minutes remaining, it was Stengle who attacked the ball at breakneck speed and impressively snapped on the turn to the top of the goalsquare where Jack Henry marked and nailed the match-winner. The 23-year-old has exceeded all expectations in his first year at Geelong and now has 29 goals from 14 games, which puts him firmly in contention for a maiden Therabody AFL All-Australian jacket. It would cap off a remarkable return to the AFL after he was sacked by Adelaide on the eve of the 2021 season. -

Stengle is already the best small forward in the league. A talent unlocked by the greatest club in the land.
Just took a proper coach unlike Mrs Hardwick to extract Tyson's talent

There’s never been more avenues for a player to be added to an AFL club list, either via drafts, trades or free agency.

And it’s hard to think of a season where so many players that were picked up for little to no draft capital last year have had such an impact for their respective teams.

Perhaps the No. 1 contender in this category is Tyson Stengle, who’s gone from sacked Crow to one of Geelong’s top All-Australian contenders in just over 12 months.

Originally taken as a rookie by Richmond in late 2016, Stengle managed just two games for the Tigers before being traded to Adelaide, playing 12 games in the 2020 hub season. But after a string of off-field incidents, the Crows sacked Stengle.

Several AFL clubs, however, saw something in Stengle throughout the 2021 campaign. He produced an outstanding SANFL season with premiers Woodville-West Torrens, booting 44 goals from 19 games. Geelong, ultimately, pounced, signing the small forward as a delisted free agent in November last year.

And Stengle has rewarded the Cats’ faith, kicking 29 goals from 14 games so far this season, slotting into an already stacked Cats forward line with aplomb. Only Charlie Cameron has kicked more goals as a small forward so far in 2022.

But it’s been Stengle’s ability to set up teammates to score that’s been just as important, ranking among the league’s top players for kicking efficiency going inside 50 and third at Geelong for score involvements.

As dual premiership Kangaroo David King declared on Fox Footy’s AFL 360 earlier this month, Stengle could be the first delisted free agent to be an All-Australian.

Asked if he was surprised by Stengle’s high impact on games in his first year at the club, Cats teammate Jed Bews told foxfooty.com.au on Saturday: “Unfortunately for me I got to play on him all pre-season. So while I’m a little bit surprised, at the same time you could see he was going to be good. He’s just grabbed his opportunity with both hands and been awesome. He’s getting better and better, it’s exciting.”
5704b8b5f06613c5726834bb23dab45e

(Log in to remove this ad.)

best coaches and best players in the league used to radiate out of the Hawthorn system

now they are really starting to radiate out of the Richmond system

and Dimma was under Hawks tutelage during 2008 premiership, right?

Really fascinating to watch that evolution, really it is the dominant storyline of the last decade of AFL.

best coaches and best players in the league used to radiate out of the Hawthorn system

now they are really starting to radiate out of the Richmond system

and Dimma was under Hawks tutelage during 2008 premiership, right?

Really fascinating to watch that evolution, really it is the dominant storyline of the last decade of AFL.

Those 2 games he played for Richmond made him the man he is today, you reckon?

Those 2 games he played for Richmond made him the man he is today, you reckon?
Wombat? played a bunch for us, think I remember Fly McCrae's VFL notes once, basically saying he was simply untackleable at training.

Look, it's no surprise that Wombat has revolutionised the Cats game, nor is it that Fly has revolutionized the Pies game, they were the two clubs besides WCE that stuck to playing old-style stagnant possession footy.

Ripe for evolution- welcome to modern surge footy!! (reckon you fans must be enjoying finally being on the right side of it, especially once finals come around!)

I would expect any RFC export landing at WCE to have an equally dramatic effect.

Wombat? played a bunch for us, think I remember Fly McCrae's VFL notes once, basically saying he was simply untackleable at training.

Look, it's no surprise that Wombat has revolutionised the Cats game, nor is it that Fly has revolutionized the Pies game, they were the two clubs besides WCE that stuck to playing old-style stagnant possession footy.

Ripe for evolution- welcome to modern surge footy!! (reckon you fans must be enjoying finally being on the right side of it, especially once finals come around!)

I would expect any RFC export landing at WCE to have an equally dramatic effect.

He's not a wombat, he's a Magic Chicken

Remove this Banner Ad

Back