Woman CEO?

Remove this Banner Ad

The woman CEO story sounds like idle speculation by the Sunday Mail. Has the club advertised for the job yet? I don't think so. ......
The position was actually in the Tiser on Saturday, page 3 I think......
Also in the weekend Oz.

The female CEO story sounds like rubbish. If the club made a statement like that and they appoint a female CEO it would leave itself wide open to a sexual discrimination case from any male applicant who doesn't get the job.

I would imagine that we pay below the market for this type of position due to our tenuous financial position.

It would be in our best long term interests to pay to a higher level to attract a quality list of applicants, particularly Port supporters, ex-CEOs from mainstream commercial organisations - an ex-player would be an absolute bonus.

From what I have read over the years both Adelaide clubs would pay between $250k and $300k for a CEO. Most Melbourne clubs would be around that range. I would suspect Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton since Dick Pratt came on board and pinched Swann from Collingwood and maybe Geelong as Cook is such an outstanding CEO would pay around $500k. West Coast probably pay their CEO $500k and Freo, Sydney and Brisbane probably are between what the SA and majority Vic clubs pay and the top 3 or 4.

These are the figures from the 2005 Clubs Financial Review power point presentation that the AFL put out in 2006. This is how the statistical average club spent it $25.9mil of expenses in 2005. [Average income in 2005 was $25.99mil]

Code:
EXPENSE ITEM	Av per Club ($’000s)	% Change from 2003
Football Dept	11,550	5%
Marketing	3,281	(3%)
Other Admin	2,770	8%
Non-Football	2,481	42%
Membership	1,844	7%
Events    	1,073	9%
Fundraising	930	242%
Merchandising	842	19%
Ground Mangment	552	(12%)
Communications	359	13%
Abnormals	230	n/a

Non-football businesses is social and gaming venues etc. So apart from Marketing wages, you would think that all other non football wages would be in Other Admin expenses, and the majority of that would be wages and therefore, the CEO wouldn't take much more than 10% of the above total given that it probably includes about 30 or more admin wages.

Not sure if this is 100% accurate as 1 slide says total club revenue was $415.9mil which gives average revenue of $25.99mil however another slide says total club expenses were $405.3mil and aggregate profit was $10.6mil. This means the average club expenditure was $25.3mil not $25.9mil as it showed in the break down of expenses slide I reproduced above. Anyway, it gives you some idea as to what the average CEO might get paid.

David Koch isn't CEO material and doesn't have the time to be President and needs to be based in SA anyway. Some one else on the other thread said he should be CEO. Sure he has run a small business but never been in charge of a large company or a large division of a large company. He is a PR type of guy. Anyway, he is making too much money being on TV. If ex channel 9 news journo Christine Spiteri was making over $261kUSD a year, for being their US based journo, then Kochie would be making a hell of a lot more than that.

crikey.com.au's copy of Christine Spiteri's full statement of claim in the Federal Court

Aba is an interesting one. He has been CEO of IJF for around 4 years now. But I'm not sure if he is interested.

I think it was Dermie Brereton was once asked about being an AFL coach and his response was that his tax cheque from media commitments was bigger than what he'd be paid to be a coach. And a good coach would earn around the same biscuit as a CEO, probably more.

I think it was Dermie Brereton was once asked about being an AFL coach and his response was that his tax cheque from media commitments was bigger than what he'd be paid to be a coach. And a good coach would earn around the same biscuit as a CEO, probably more.

I reckon Choc makes 2 maybe 3 times what the CEO makes. Our coaching bill in 2006 according to an Age article on the clubs 2006 income and expenditure was $1.4mil and this was the ranking:

Coaching staff
1. Collingwood $1.852m (+41% on 2005)
2. West Coast $1.737m (+3%)
3. W Bulldogs $1.456m* (+23%)
4. Port Adelaide $1.431m (+9%)
5. St Kilda $1.302m (+21%)
6. Fremantle $1.249m (+25%)
7. Essendon $1.244m (-14%)
8. Adelaide $1.206m (+3%)
9. Brisbane Lions $1.157m (+7%)
10. Melbourne $1.05m (+24%)
11. Carlton $1.04m (+1%)
12. Sydney $1.025m** (-15%)
13. Geelong $999,000 (+5%)
14. Richmond $825,000 (+15%)
15. Kangaroos $777,000 (-4%)
16. Hawthorn $765,000 (+5%)
* The Bulldogs included welfare and much of the other football staff under "coaching".
** Sydney's "other staff" accounted for $1.115m which was not included in "coaching".

Gut feel is a CEO might get paid about 1% of revenues.

Someone like Gail Kelly really is pie in the sky stuff. She's a stand out performer regardless of gender. Interested people would be in the JJ mould - and I would think the club would be trying to find another very similar person tbh - people who may have run divisions, not companies (unless it's a much* smaller business than a top 20 listed company), and want to take the job on for reasons other than money. Man or woman - shouldn't and wouldn't matter.

*much

I never said we should get someone as high up as Gail Kelly. Why I used her as an example was because as I said "Gail Kelly, CEO at Westpac shows that a capable woman can take charge in a very blokey environment." That's the angle I was getting at, the blokey aspect of the footy industry. The finance industry is pretty blokey as well. She was in the game at a smaller player yet one of the big boys had to pay her very well to get her. That's what I was getting at, therefore having a go at the speculation that we are going after a female CEO. To do that we either have to recruit one that is very well regarded at another club or the AFL, which I'm not aware of any such female, or another part of the sporting industry. If we do that, then we have to pay to get her.

s**t, no club or even the AFL is big enough and pays enough to get a person who is CEO of a top 20 public company. It was an analogy that I was getting at.

I never said we should get someone as high up as Gail Kelly. Why I used her as an example was because as I said "Gail Kelly, CEO at Westpac shows that a capable woman can take charge in a very blokey environment." That's the angle I was getting at, the blokey aspect of the footy industry. The finance industry is pretty blokey as well. She was in the game at a smaller player yet one of the big boys had to pay her very well to get her. That's what I was getting at, therefore having a go at the speculation that we are going after a female CEO. To do that we either have to recruit one that is very well regarded at another club or the AFL, which I'm not aware of any such female, or another part of the sporting industry. If we do that, then we have to pay to get her.

s**t, no club or even the AFL is big enough and pays enough to get a person who is CEO of a top 20 public company. It was an analogy that I was getting at.

Sorry REH - no offence intended - I know you weren't suggesting we would get someone at her level. The scope of that job seemed to make the comparison invalid to a point, even considering the so-called 'blokey' stuff. The sad thing is, how hard it is to find a woman in that role anywhere.

Karren Brady is one of the better known woman top flight executives at a national football club, appointed Managing Director of Birmingham City in 1993 at the ripe old age of 23.

not sure what the difference is between a woman ceo and a man ceo. if they're good enough...

but fwiw, Karen Brady is very far from thought of as a heavyweight figure. she makes good copy, but isn't really thought of as holding the front line.

Sorry REH - no offence intended - I know you weren't suggesting we would get someone at her level. The scope of that job seemed to make the comparison invalid to a point, even considering the so-called 'blokey' stuff. The sad thing is, how hard it is to find a woman in that role anywhere.

None taken PK. But to try to avoid that the blokey stuff doesn't count when a final decision is being made in both the footy and finance industry is a fraction naive.

I know a couple of women who were pretty high up in investment banks, both were head of their divisions and both thought they probably wouldn't get promoted any further because they reckon the boys weren't going to let it happen. Not working with them, I don't know if it was more reality or more perception but they believed it and it effected their long term commitment to those banks as they both left.

That's why I mentioned the Australian Olympic Committee as it is an organisation that has gone through the process of mainly being run by blokes to one that has many women in senior responsible positions. There are also plenty of other advantages of employing someone with AOC experience.

If anything if you had two equivalent candidates, I'd be tempted to hire the woman as she probably is going to work harder and smarter to prove her worth and show everybody she in fact deserves the position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back