Women's football licences to be announced today- who gets in???

Remove this Banner Ad

The successful teams will be announced today- 12 applicants, either 8 or 10 team comp. so who gets in and who misses?
Only 1 application from Qld, NSW, SA means they will prob get in (Lions, GWS & Crows) Both WA teams applied so at least 1 from there. That leaves the remaining licences for the Victorian applicants (Carlton, Collingwood, Geelong, Melbourne, North, Richmond, St Kilda, & Bulldogs). At least 2 of these will miss out. Would like to see both Melbourne & Bulldogs rewarded with teams given they have been playing women's matches for several years but not sure it will happen that way. Thoughts???

Last edited:
Would be an absolute uproar if the likes of Collingwood get a team before either Dee's or doggies. I'd sooner see them get a team tha. Geelong, they deserve to be the first 2 mentioned. As for WA I feel as though west coast will get the nod first, don't know why just a gut feel and possibly west coast represents the entity of WA where as Freo are from Fremantle

Would be an absolute uproar if the likes of Collingwood get a team before either Dee's or doggies. I'd sooner see them get a team tha. Geelong, they deserve to be the first 2 mentioned. As for WA I feel as though west coast will get the nod first, don't know why just a gut feel and possibly west coast represents the entity of WA where as Freo are from Fremantle
I tend to agree with WCE over Freo in an 8 team comp. if it's 10 teams, I think they may go both.

I'm surprised Freo got the nod ahead of West Coast

I'm not. Both good clubs Freo just must have had the better proposal.

Incredible that Brisbane get one when they can't even look after their mens AFL club.

They wanted a team in each state and GC didn't nominate. You shouldn't be surprised.

They wanted a team in each state and GC didn't nominate. You shouldn't be surprised.
Surely the better option would have been not to have one at all. Nobody is interest in the men's comp up there, why is the women's comp going to be any different?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought it wasn't announced until 11am today. Can't see any journos on Twitter mentioning it.

but apparently their is this major want for a womans league, just look at the womens football board on bigfooty, oh wait.....
the afl is in massive catch up mode, and they've rushed this. it could send the AFL either to the wall financially, or into a dangerous developmental (for women's participation) backdown. severe lack of depth is plain to see for spectators, and without the ability to top up with high calibre athletes from overseas like other sports. while I totally understand why it's important to give a pathway to young girls who participate, the quality is unlikely to come along significantly for at least a decade - will the public, broadcasters and financiers be patient enough?

how long have you followed the AFL? The whole competition is fixed to make the almighty $
which makes this more staggering considering how much it will cost them - they will be paying the broadcasters to broadcast, and if they can't get a broadcaster - paying to broadcast it themselves

Surely the better option would have been not to have one at all. Nobody is interest in the men's comp up there, why is the women's comp going to be any different?
QLD women's footy has the biggest base in the country IIRC - they don't have the competition from rugby.

The minor leagues will suffer big time. The Victorian women's league will go down the gurgler. Darebin and the likes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back