AFLW Round 1 of the 2023 AFL Women's season

Remove this Banner Ad

The ball drop on some of the women is perfect. Equal to the men. Which you couldn't always say in previous seasons. There's a clear skills difference between the young ones and the old timers. That's generalising but for the most part. Makes sense seeing as the younger generation has been able to play and develop skills from the get go. Looking forward to watching a few more games this year and getting in to it more. Imagine in another 5-10 years.

Been some comeback from the Swans in the Sydney Derby. You’d have been forgiven for thinking they were dead and buried in the third term but they’re finishing full of running

Fantastic last quarter in Sydney.

Good crowd too.

Which is what you want to see, good crowd sees a good game.
It was awesome! Could have done without the heart attack final few minutes but it wouldn't be Swans game if they didn't freak us out in the final 5 minutes LOL

It's only early, but the AFL would be feeling satisfied at this stage that their latest rule changes have helped increase scoring.

AFLW Round 1 Scoring
Year/SeasonPoints Per GameGames Played
2022 (S6)61.17
2022 (S7)68.19

It's only early, but the AFL would be feeling satisfied at this stage that their latest rule changes have helped increase scoring.

AFLW Round 1 Scoring
Year/SeasonPoints Per GameGames Played
2022 (S6)61.17
2022 (S7)68.19

The games are 13% or so longer though, so should be about right. Does scoring usually increase or go backwards after round 1? The mens usually start higher then drop off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The games are 13% or so longer though, so should be about right. Does scoring usually increase or go backwards after round 1? The mens usually start higher then drop off.
Hopefully more time is added again next season. Said it before, I'm not sure half time needs to be longer than the QT breaks. Seems incompatible with the concept of an interchange cap.

Shave off another 8 minutes from HT, add that to playing time, and it keeps the whole thing under 2 hours per TV wishes.

Scoring usually increases after R1 in the women's, I can get the exact numbers later tonight.

Scoring usually increases after R1 in the women's, I can get the exact numbers later tonight.
Here we go. Points per game from the first seven seasons, 2017 to 2022.

R1: 62.7
R2: 64.3
R3: 70
R4: 62.8
R5: 66.1
R6: 71.8
R7: 71.5
R8: 71.5
R9: 69.2
R10: 71.7

R1-R5: 65.2
R6-R10: 71.3

Is it too early to bag Dal Santo?
Start last season vs Sydney, look good. Start this season vs NM, look bad. I wouldn't overthink that.

However, R2 probably wouldn't be too early to lay the boots in if they lose to Essendon.

Start last season vs Sydney, look good. Start this season vs NM, look bad. I wouldn't overthink that.

However, R2 probably wouldn't be too early to lay the boots in if they lose to Essendon.
The Hawthotn game is looming, might be a deal breaker to lose that at Home

The Hawthotn game is looming, might be a deal breaker to lose that at Home
Beat Port Adelaide last year and play them again in R3. Shouldn't even make it to R6 vs Hawthorn if they start 0-3.

Their list is strong enough to win at least 6 from their easy fixture imo. Potentially more depending on injuries for Collingwood and Bulldogs.

But balancing all that with the possibility some key St Kilda players are carrying injuries themselves is tricky.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back