AFLW Round 9 - 2023 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately St Kilda's upset win over Brisbane has eliminated the possibility of our girls (Suns) clinching a finals spot by the end of this round. Assume Collingwood will beat Sydney tomorrow which means the Swans can't finish ahead of our team but who knows with the upsets we've seen lately. Bizarrely, our girls can finish anywhere from 10th to 3rd on the ladder going into the last round of the season. Seems this season is a lot closer than some think and it's going to go down to the wire. Just gotta hope our girls can beat Essendon in Mackay on Friday night as that will guarantee us a home final. Top 4 finish still a realistic possibility for us too.

Nothing unfortunate about it. Gold Coast couldn't beat Carlton and Port Adelaide, that's why they haven't locked in a top 8 spot yet. Best chance the Suns have of finishing top 4 is Essendon screwing up their travel arrangements, as they've been known to do for games in the middle of nowhere.

Nothing unfortunate about it. Gold Coast couldn't beat Carlton and Port Adelaide, that's why they haven't locked in a top 8 spot yet. Best chance the Suns have of finishing top 4 is Essendon screwing up their travel arrangements, as they've been known to do for games in the middle of nowhere.
Fair enough. I think most would have expected the Lions to beat St Kilda earlier today and if they had (assuming the Pies beat the Swans tomorrow) then finals would have been guaranteed for the Suns regardless of next week's results. I get what you're saying that if you just win more games then it wouldn't matter but I'd guess if it was any other week of the season then we'd almost definitely have seen a Brisbane win against the Saints. On the flip side, it does legitimately keep the possibility of a top 4 finish alive for the Suns, Bombers, Magpies and Cats so I guess that's a positive going into the final round of the season. Plenty to play for.

You have always been negative towards the Suns. You won’t acknowledge our achievements and successes.

Suns will play the Mackay heat better than the Bombers. Our girls are used to it. Will be a cracking contest Friday night prime time footy beamed across the country on FTA! Can’t wait!!

All the right signs from Sydney to be able to settle after finding themselves under siege early.

Intriguing see-saw contest with Collingwood responding late in Q1. Again though, their goals just sort of sprung up without any easily traceable system.

All the right signs from Sydney to be able to settle after finding themselves under siege early.

Intriguing see-saw contest with Collingwood responding late in Q1. Again though, their goals just sort of sprung up without any easily traceable system.
If Swans can reduce their turnover errors we might take this.

I agree with the decision to not recall that boundary throw-in from the pocket (the one which bounced through for a behind without anybody touching it). Do it over and it'd still land in the same spot.

It was just poor awareness by Collingwood's defenders to not be position themselves according to what the wind was doing. At this stage though, looks like that 1 point is the least of the Pies' problems.

If Swans can reduce their turnover errors we might take this.
If Sydney hold on here then it's pretty likely the Essendon v Gold Coast game on Friday night will be a battle for a top 4 spot/the double chance because Brisbane play Melbourne next week and form suggests the Demons will win that game. Would be massive for either the Bombers or Suns to clinch a top 4 finals spot, especially considering the loser probably misses the finals. So much on the line.

If anybody knew that Jordyn Allen (4 touches to 3QT) won Collingwood's B&F last year, they've already forgotten.

Hurley with the dagger. ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Molloy doing well here. Not sure who that Pies player #14 was but they were half hearted in challenging her for that mark... Needed to go all in.

Although that second goal was perhaps a wake up call heh.

Sean's have made great strides.

Might've been the performance that generates sufficient Best First Year Player buzz for Tanya Kennedy, which I voiced optimism for a few weeks ago.

Even if not, it's absolutely crazy that she and Eilish Sheerin have been plucked out of the local Sydney league (from the same club, no less) in quick succession.

Mirroring last season's encounter between Adelaide and North Melbourne a little bit, when NM got a lead early and the Crows came back to win.

But my memory of that previous game is North didn't really play particularly well, whereas I think today's first half is the best (particularly from an effort, intensity, toughness in the contest perspective) they've ever played.

Greiser 5 touches, 0 marks, 0 tackles. Vying for worst recruit of the year status.
Kate Shierlaw says "oh no you don't"! (harsh, especially having already kicked a nice goal today, but let it not go unsaid that third quarter of hers was horrendous)

The stand rule
A player who reacts at the same time as the umpire is penalised for not waiting for the umpires call.
There is no other game in the world where one player on the field is not allowed to react to the ball Re-entering play and is directly disadvantaged by the Umpires reaction time.

Terrible rule

What some Kangaroos would give for a do-over of that game. Well they might get their wish. In any case, North should be able to take a bit of encouragement out of that loss, unlike the other two they've suffered this season.

Caitlin Gould with 2 goals today takes her tally to 16. Won't know how much she'll need to kick next week to win the medal, since BL v Melb is the later Saturday game. But, coming up against West Coast, best believe her teammates will be feeding her silly.

Mirroring last season's encounter between Adelaide and North Melbourne a little bit, when NM got a lead early and the Crows came back to win.

But my memory of that previous game is North didn't really play particularly well, whereas I think today's first half is the best (particularly from an effort, intensity, toughness in the contest perspective) they've ever played.

North were excellent today - I think they were the better team on the day. I'm still not quite sure how Adelaide won the match.

North just so clean around the contests, and slaughtered us in the air in that first quarter.

As for the Crows, Hatchard put in probably her worst performance since the pre-2019 days. Thank goodness for Niamh Kelly!

Edit: I'll backtrack on Hatchard a bit. It felt like a poor game overall (by her standards) but it's tough to argue with 32 touches at 75% efficiency. It just felt like every time she got the ball she stuffed it up!

Last edited:
Would be karmic if the Suns/Bombers finished top 4 at the expense of your team after this comment. Unlikely considering North plays the 18th placed Bulldogs but you never know.

North were excellent today - I think they were the better team on the day. I'm still not quite sure how Adelaide won the match.

North just so clean around the contests, and slaughtered us in the air in that first quarter.

As for the Crows, Hatchard put in probably her worst performance since the pre-2019 days. Thank goodness for Niamh Kelly!

Edit: I'll backtrack on Hatchard a bit. It felt like a poor game overall (by her standards) but it's tough to argue with 32 touches at 75% efficiency. It just felt like every time she got the ball she stuffed it up!
Hatchard seemed very handball happy today which is a little unusual, normally she is around 60/40% kick to handball, but today it was 25/75. Marinoff was a little disappointing, she had 29 disposals but more than half of them missed a teammate or went straight to a North player, it's a shame we couldn't take advantage, but your back six were very good today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back