AFLW Round 10 - 2023 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpires clearly in favour of Melbourne so many holding the ball decisions in melbournes 50 not called…

Brisbane defeated North by 2 points, Adelaide by 3 and Melbourne by 25, yet lost to Richmond by 6, Collingwood by 5 and St Kilda by 21. They have been terribly inconsistent, I'm surprised Starcevich still has his hair, but they are definitely good enough to go all the way.

The top 4 is set, Adelaide will play Brisbane and Melbourne will play North Melbourne.

Last edited:

A year of anomaly for leading goalkicker awards. Before 2023, I think you have to go back to 1881 to find teammates that were joint winners in any of the VFL/AFL, SANFL, WAFL, VFA/VFL, VWFL/VFLW and of course AFLW. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

And wouldn't ya know it, a couple months after Gold Coast had dual winners in the VFL, Melbourne do likewise in the AFLW via Zanker and Hore. Assuming the likes of Privitelli or Molloy don't kick 8 or 9 tomorrow.

Still a real chance that Essendon could miss finals with the results and margins going against them today.
Just goes to show the impact of the fixture on finals.
If Essendon do miss out that’ll mean GC have played 8 of their 10 games against bottom 8 teams and nearly pinched top 4 due to the bias in the fixture.
Def need at least another two games in the season, that’s not over achieving that’s just a leg up.

Still a real chance that Essendon could miss finals with the results and margins going against them today.
If Essendon do miss out that’ll mean GC have played 8 of their 10 games against bottom 8 teams and nearly pinched top 4 due to the bias in the fixture.
Def need at least another two games in the season, that’s not over achieving that’s just a leg up.

Better than the conference days at lest, like 2019 when Carlton made the grand final. But we need one match vs each side as soon a possible to make it as fair as possible. But that won't be for a long time.

If Essendon weren't flat track bullies and were good enough they would have beaten us on Friday night and play finals.

Essendon only travelled interstate twice for the whole season (Adelaide and Mackay) compared to Gold Coast having to travel interstate five times. How about this gets addressed?? The equal least interstate travel required in the competition.

If you were protected from facing 2 or 3 of Adel/Melb/NM/BL, you got a sweet deal.

Number of top 4 teams dodged
Gold Coast: 2
Geelong: 2
Essendon: 3
Sydney: 3
St Kilda: 2
Collingwood: 2
Carlton: 3
Richmond: 2
Fremantle: 2
Hawthorn: 2
Port Adelaide: 1
GWS Giants: 1
West Coast: 2
W. Bulldogs: 1

St Kilda, Collingwood and Richmond's sweet deals are somewhat negated by actually beating a top 4 team. But given the injuries to Collingwood and Richmond, I wouldn't blame the fixture first if they both miss finals this year. St Kilda just have to execute the easy task of smacking Carlton today (or not give up a huge lead against Port Adelaide in R3) and they make the 8.

So I'm comfortable with whoever finishes 5th-8th. If one of these 11 "dodgy" teams had creeped into the top 4, that's when the fixture looks real silly.

If Essendon weren't flat track bullies and were good enough they would have beaten us on Friday night and play finals.
Flat track bullies…geez.
Pretty sensitive you’se GC lot.

Essendon are a very young side had a couple of leaders out and they folded under the expectation.
I don’t think either team was particularly good, you guys scored 8 points in two quarters they kicked four in three quarters and still had more shots on goal than you.

I don’t think you guys are top four material and you nearly pinched because of your draw.
You don’t have to take it personally.
Travel…big deal.

Flat track bullies…geez.
Pretty sensitive you’se GC lot.

Essendon are a very young side had a couple of leaders out and they folded under the expectation.
I don’t think either team was particularly good, you guys scored 8 points in two quarters they kicked four in three quarters and still had more shots on goal than you.

I don’t think you guys are top four material and you nearly pinched because of your draw.
You don’t have to take it personally.
Travel…big deal.
Oh as Teen Wolf mentioned above too. Essendon only had to play 1 'Top 4' team so that is another freebie that Essendon got too.

As for a young team, most of the teams are around 24-25 average age so quite similar. Average games is what you need to look at. Some teams have almost double the amount of games experience. It doesn't matter your age if you have no experience in game. Sydney have done really well looking at their averages.
Adelaide24 years, 292 days28.2 games (4.3 finals)
Melbourne25 years, 174 days
32.4 games (4.9 finals)
Kangaroos24 years, 352 days25.5 games (3.2 finals)
Brisbane24 years, 54 days27.9 games (4.6 finals)
Gold Coast25 years, 110 days18.1 games (0.4 finals)
Geelong25 years, 223 days
22.6 games (1.4 finals)
Essendon24 years, 280 days20.9 games (1.0 finals)
Sydney23 years, 296 days
15.2 games (0.6 finals)
St Kilda25 years, 231 days26.5 games (1.0 finals)
Collingwood25 years, 142 days28.4 games (2.9 finals)

Average age of the teams on Friday night were GC 26y 25d vs Ess 24y 296d.

Could possibly meet again next week. Suns would have even less of an excuse for a loss, considering the up-and-back travelling that Essendon would have to do.

So like Richmond last year who only had 1 win vs a top 8 team all year that let them nab top 4 as they went 6-0 vs non-finalists?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So like Richmond last year who only had 1 win vs a top 8 team all year that let them nab top 4 as they went 6-0 vs non-finalists?
Yep, that’s right..well near enough to right.
The fixture is too big an influence on the final ladder position.

Short term - Keeping the season short is arguably the best decision. Keeps interest up as you can manipulate these Sydney/Gold Coast/Essendon runs. Without it, the best teams get through and it drags a season on when there's nothing for teams to fight for.

Long term - Extending the season is by far the best decision. The more gametime the inexperienced players get in the system against the best. The sooner they'll improve and we'll get closer parity across the league.

End of the day - This league has succeeded in spite of the best efforts of the AFL to torpedo it. I'm intrigued to see what the league looks like in 10 years.

Especially with clubs like Sydney entering the league and really embracing the league.

FTR
Last season Richmond played top 8 finalists
Geel
Adel
Nth
Bris

We may have only won 1 as you say but our losses where
4 points and 10 points
We had the lowest points conceded in the league and ended with a percentage of 147
That contributed to us ending up 4th as well.

My point was if Ess drop out GC will
have only played
2 top 8 finalists this year.

A bit different

Don't think St Kilda are going to score enough points in this fourth quarter to jump Essendon. In the end, I think Sydney will be the ones that jump ahead of Essendon by beating Fremantle by 18 or more points. St Kilda should hold on here which means Fremantle's season is officially dead and they won't be anywhere near as fired up to beat Sydney later today and therefore I can see Sydney getting the require 3+ goal margin to jump ahead of Essendon and finish 7th. That would mean the elimination finals will be Suns v Bombers (again) and Cats v Sydney. We obviously also know the qualifying finals will be Crows v Lions and Demons v Kangaroos.

If you were protected from facing 2 or 3 of Adel/Melb/NM/BL, you got a sweet deal.

Number of top 4 teams dodged
Gold Coast: 2
Geelong: 2
Essendon: 3
Sydney: 3
St Kilda: 2
Collingwood: 2
Carlton: 3
Richmond: 2
Fremantle: 2
Hawthorn: 2
Port Adelaide: 1
GWS Giants: 1
West Coast: 2
W. Bulldogs: 1

St Kilda, Collingwood and Richmond's sweet deals are somewhat negated by actually beating a top 4 team. But given the injuries to Collingwood and Richmond, I wouldn't blame the fixture first if they both miss finals this year. St Kilda just have to execute the easy task of smacking Carlton today (or not give up a huge lead against Port Adelaide in R3) and they make the 8.

So I'm comfortable with whoever finishes 5th-8th. If one of these 11 "dodgy" teams had creeped into the top 4, that's when the fixture looks real silly.
I'd go a step further and point out how many were required to travel in order to play those top 4 teams:

5th Gold Coast: 2 (1 home, 1 away - interstate)
6th Geelong: 2 (2 home)
7th Essendon: 1 (1 away - interstate)
8th Sydney: 1 (1 away - interstate)
9th St Kilda: 2 (1 home, 1 neutral - interstate)
10th Collingwood: (2 away - 1 interstate, 1 in Melbourne)
11th Carlton: 1 (1 away - in Melbourne)
12th Richmond: 2 (1 home, 1 away - interstate)
13th Fremantle: 2 (1 home, 1 away - interstate)
14th Hawthorn: 2 (2 home)
15th Port Adelaide: 3 (1 home, 1 away - interstate , 1 away in Adelaide)
16th GWS: 3 (2 home, 1 away - interstate)
17th West Coast: 2 (2 home)
18th Bulldogs: 3 (1 home, 1 away interstate, 1 away in Melbourne)

I'd argue Carlton were given the best draw of all teams by only having to play one top 4 team this season and that game took place in their home city so the travel factor wasn't there.

Yeah wish we'd gone a bit harder to get us above Bombers. Well just sit back and watch now. Will be cheering on Tigers and Freo...

Yeah wish we'd gone a bit harder to get us above Bombers. Well just sit back and watch now. Will be cheering on Tigers and Freo...
Anderson took an excruciatingly long time to kick her goal. I'm not sure everyone was awake to the percentage situation. Seemed to be just trying to close out the game with a win.

Yeah I thought that too re. Anderson but I put that down to her being 18 and not having a lot of game sense yet. Plus it was a tight angle. But would have thought the more experienced players would have told her to hurry up though!

Xenos telling everyone to slow down with a minute left also didn't make any sense. Surely would want to put more gap between us and Sydney..

Didn't even need to tell her to hurry up. Exon could have just taken the advantage and immediately kicked the goal herself.

But they could've had an extra 5 minutes and probably still would've ended up on ~102%.

Yeah think Swans only have to win by a couple of points now to overtake us. Another goal or two would have helped immensely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back