AFLW Round 6 - 2023 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Despite the fourth quarter fade-out I'd suggest the Saints are heading in a positive direction, especially after starting the season 0-3. I don't think they will make the finals, but they have played some nice footy over the last few weeks.
You won't see a team kick 6 straight very often. It's weird but the scoreboard did not do the game justice

You won't see a team kick 6 straight very often. It's weird but the scoreboard did not do the game justice
The Bulldogs kicked 6 straight against St Kilda just last week. Saints still thumped them. I guess that's the difference, Hawthorn can't win unless the opposition chokes (like the Dogs did in Round 2).

Dare I say it, this season is becoming hard to predict. North Melbourne and Geelong better be on guard tomorrow! (And Adelaide next week against the team that always beats them by 1 point in premiership years)

Felt like Collingwood were due a bit of luck. They got a lot tonight, but seemed rather reluctant to take it until real late. This win reignites next week's game vs Carlton as a potential winner-makes-finals shaper.

The brilliance, nay genius, of Maddy Prespakis on partial display today in game 50 today.

Even still, Geelong having a laugh with that performance. Only in one passage late during Q3 did they show awareness of the demands of a handball heavy game. It's this thing called sprinting, where you take really fast steps with alternating legs.

INCREDULOUS! ...as in, I can hardly believe Bohanna's decision making at the end there. Kick it when the F50 is open, mate, why would you wait and give Richmond time to potentially get back and stop the ball on the line.

Rowbottom must've had something like 11 touches in the last quarter, woweeee talk about running out a game.

Greiser, let's be honest, cost Richmond the win for a second consecutive week.

INCREDULOUS! ...as in, I can hardly believe Bohanna's decision making at the end there. Kick it when the F50 is open, mate, why would you wait and give Richmond time to potentially get back and stop the ball on the line.

Rowbottom must've had something like 11 touches in the last quarter, woweeee talk about running out a game.

Greiser, let's be honest, cost Richmond the win for a second consecutive week.

Yeah, made the distance herself in the end but really struggled to understand the thinking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tahlia Randall has frustrated me a number of times this season doing something similar. I think there has been at least 5/6 times where she has taken a mark 40-45 metres out with no one in the goal square (or within cooee of) and holds onto the ball until everyone fills the forward 50, and then she tries a surgical pass to a team mate only to be intercepted. We struggle enough with converting our forward 50 entries into goals, without given up goal scoring opportunities like this. I would much rather she turns around and takes the shot, even if she only converts 40/50% of the time it is better than what we are getting at the moment. Who knows, she may have been the leagues leading goal scorer if she had taken the shot herself. :)

yeah that blues v pies match is shaping as the winner makes finals type of match pies win it and they they in finals for mine with cats at vic park swans away then tigers at vic park to round it off.

i can see pies beating the blues and then beat the cats following week.

this is kind of a mini elimination final the blues and pies match.

North kicked 8 straight today, after a poor 1.5 in the first quarter.

I was reminded of this moment from Round 7, 2018 on the weekend. You can't really see it in the clip but no.17 for Melbourne at the time, Ashleigh Guest, was in no man's land and it created an easy over-the-top winning goal (with about 90 seconds left) in what was essentially a preliminary final.

And it was of course this moment that jogged the memory.

What was no.17 for Melbourne, this time Tahlia Gillard, thinking when she let her direct opponent Caitlin Gould get out the back, despite Libby Birch already streaming to the ball-carrier. Only possible reason to make that move would be if Rachelle Martin was known to have a formidable one-step kick, which obviously isn't the case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back