AFLW Round 2 - 2023 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Fixture stuff

Gotta squeeze the games in around the men's one way or another. But even if that means playing on Friday night before an EF (at 5pm rather than 6pm, which would still finish by 7.50pm), it could be in Launceston or Canberra or Mackay. Doesn't have to be in a city that actually has traffic ffs.

Geelong defeated Sydney 102-27 in R10 last season, on the 170m-long GMHBA Stadium. Now they face each other on the 130m-long North Sydney Oval.

4 games on Sunday in Victoria this week, whereas there were none last week. I've tried to think of an explanation for this peculiar spread… best I've come up with is the AFL thought the other states don't celebrate Father's Day.

Aaaand of course we must also make mention of the first AFLW game to be played at Windy Hill. Probably the last of the old VFL venues to join the list.

I think I'll be tipping as follows:

Adel by 12
GC by 6
BL by 18
Geel by 24
WB by 9
Coll by 1
NM by 50
Ess by 3
Melb by 30

Wish I had went with my first thought about Richmond last week, but I'm expecting Adelaide to be switched on and collect the 4 points that Brisbane couldn't.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Bulldogs lose this weekend, but I can't tip Hawthorn immediately after being let down last week.

The flipside to that is, while I don't believe Essendon's list is better than St Kilda's, the Bombers took care of business last weekend when I didn't think they would. As such, I don't want to tip against them two times in a row with middle-of-the-road (at best) opposition.

Finally, I'm tipping Collingwood on the basis that Davey will pull up ok after her first game back. Possibly too presumptuous. For my ladder prediction, I had Fremantle starting the season 4-0, which was on the basis that I knew what to expect from Bowers.

Two match-ups featuring inaugural teams this round.

Giants vs Melbourne history:
SeasonGWSMelbMost goalsMost disposalsVenue
2017 R52015-25 K. PaxmanBlacktown ISP
2018 R139453 R. Cranston
3 P. McWilliams
19 D. PearceCasey Fields
2019 R518573 T. Cunningham20 A. Eva
20 A. Parker
Blacktown ISP
2020 QF26292 L. Mithen23 A. ParkerSydney Showground
22 (S6) R67442 T. Harris
2 K. Hore
23 A. ParkerCasey Fields

Collingwood vs Fremantle history:
SeasonCollFremMost goalsMost disposalsVenue
2017 R53231-21 L. FilocamoRushton Park
2018 R227402 C. Bernardi
2 M. Caulfield
2 D. Hooker
21 M. KuysPerth Stadium
2019 R318512 E. Antonio
2 K. Gibson
19 K. DonnellanFremantle Oval
22 (S6) R47382 H. Miller26 K. BowersVictoria Park
22 (S7) R83232 S. Frederick28 K. BowersFremantle Oval

Looks like they might, maybe, possibly get away without any mid-game rain tonight. In any case, prrrrrobably just the diehards turning up for this one unfortunately. The ramifications on the final top 2 and top 4 standings from it will surely be huge.

12-6 free kicks. Partially bad umpiring, mostly bad tackles. Not unusual for Adelaide to be a bit reckless, but it's set up to potentially cost them tonight. Should be further ahead, most Richmond players aren't getting near the ball.

Pretty dire stuff for Richmond. 11 players with 5 touches or less. They should still win their next 6 (Fremantle in Melbourne likely being the toughest of that run), and we still won't have learned anything new about them.

Abbie Ballard had a new disposals PB with 16 (previous high 11). You wouldn't think tonight's conditions would harvest any such breakthrough, but she'd be one of the few players who I'd give licence to handball in the wet.

Pretty dire stuff for Richmond. 11 players with 5 touches or less. They should still win their next 6 (Fremantle in Melbourne likely being the toughest of that run), and we still won't have learned anything new about them.

Abbie Ballard had a new disposals PB with 16 (previous high 11). You wouldn't think tonight's conditions would harvest any such breakthrough, but she'd be one of the few players who I'd give licence to handball in the wet.

Definitely the best game I've seen Ballard play. I'm a fan.

Marinoff was fantastic today with 14 tackles to go with her 23 touches. Her and Conti were just dominant in the stoppages.

Geez, Conti is a wonderful player.

On the subject of Ponter's goal last night:

I had a list to help me remember the longest AFLW goals kicked. Of course, I don't remember where I put the list.

So the previous longest that I can remember happened on the same ground, kicking to the same end.

Ikon Park and Trevor Barker Oval are both about 156m goal to goal, so this one by Georgia Hammond in the VFLW was from slightly further out, but I think Ponter's travelled further in the air.

Like one poster said in our Gameday thread the Tigers got shown how the big girls play.
Might’ve been a tough turnaround but second game of the season you’d think they’re not going to be any fitter..a game style that doesn’t suit the conditions to so many uncontested marks in slippy conditions to not being able to deal with a contested unit around stoppages to sooking for free kicks.
Pantsed, comprehensively.

It’s not one player that’s going to turn that around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last time Gold Coast played West Coast was R2 S7. I vividly recall tipping West Coast, and they got smashed. Kalinda Howarth had 5 disposals in that game and 2 behinds, and so despite lamenting her absence today, it's probably not enough to justify tipping against Gold Coast.

And that's also despite the Suns hardly turning up in R1, burning any goodwill one might've had for them. Finished last season blowing their own horn and then falling off a cliff like Gunga Din. Came out this year flat as a tack from the get, what gives. If this game was in Perth, I would be tipping the Eagles again.

I shot the sheriff... but I did not shoot the deputy. West Coast Eagles won... a clearance.

3 goals to Stanton in Q1 on a perfect kicking day. It's probably time for somebody to break Lochland's record of 7, never would've backed somebody whose previous PB is 1 though (and truth be told, probably still not backing her, but let's see).

Among the many questions one ponders during a game like this:

1. Why would the Gold Coast Suns wait until their 5th season to recruit an Irish player? Ma'fact, why didn't the Eagles think about replacing one Niamh with another. Instead they brought in Emma Humphries who's been playing the game a long time and still doesn't know her kicking range.

2. How is it possible for West Coast to be this much worse than fellow 2020 expansion team Gold Coast? I know it was technically a 9am start for them, but then again they often look like a team that just rolled out of bed. And speaking of time... time to sack Prior. And I don't mean time to decide that he won't get his contract renewed. I mean literally turf him out of the box right now and tear up his Access All Areas pass.

3 goals to Stanton in Q1 on a perfect kicking day. It's probably time for somebody to break Lochland's record of 7, never would've backed somebody whose previous PB is 1 though (and truth be told, probably still not backing her, but let's see).
Still on track!

Ma'fact, why didn't the Eagles think about replacing one Niamh with another. Instead they brought in Emma Humphries who's been playing the game a long time and still doesn't know her kicking range.
And I forgot they've also got Sedunary running around out there. So there's 2 spots on the list they should pretty clearly be using on Irish players (unless they want to play more local ~20yos but, idk, I think they've got enough of those).

WC are going to cop some beltings on the road. GC are playing well but there is no pressure at all

Also the decision to put Ella Roberts behind the ball in the 2nd half is just bad, negative coaching

Well, hard to sneeze at 6, but she should and/or could have had 8, if not for a pretty easy shot missed and some very unselfish play on another occasion.

West Coast seem to be a club bereft of any joy at the moment, their AFL and WAFL teams won the wooden spoons and their AFLW team would be one of the favourites for a third piece of cutlery this season.

Ella Roberts looked a class above her Weagles teammates, she was limping late hopefully it was only cramp.

Well maybe it'll be Chloe Scheer who breaks Lochland's record today.

With the extra ~8 mins I like the chances of somebody doing it this season, as well as somebody setting a new disposals record, etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back