AFLW Round 5 - 2023 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Anybody who would rather watch the boring GF build up bullshit on the main channels instead of the match about to air on 7mate and Fox Sports 505, ya just not a real football fan.

Last year's AFLW match on the last Saturday of September provided the upset of the season. Today I guess I'm going with Essendon but, whoever wins, it feels like the only surprise could be if it turns out to not be a close game.

1-3 Collingwood have their season to play for. Still a pulse if they win today (going to have to beat Geelong later, but that is at Victoria Park and mayyyybe they'll have Schleicher back by then).

This game, along with the one vs an underperforming Richmond team in a few weeks from now, is a big opportunity for Essendon to effectively book a spot in the finals regardless of their R10 match vs Gold Coast.

Well I'm a little surprised, particularly by the one-way traffic in the 2nd and 3rd quarters today.

But no great discovery to see how the footballing intellect working with Prespakis in the Essendon midfield is non-existent. Meanwhile a number of their clever little forwards have barely had the ball kicked into their vicinity all day.

1-3 Collingwood have their season to play for. Still a pulse if they win today (going to have to beat Geelong later, but that is at Victoria Park and mayyyybe they'll have Schleicher back by then).
No doubt in my mind they'd be 4-1 if not for Ruby's foot thing. It would be a shame if they consequently miss finals and one of these undeserving lightweights with a soft draw take their spot.

Sunday Bloody Sunday. The day after the men's Grand Final, when the AFL seems intent on scheduling one-sided women's contests. Last year it was the 96-point demolition of GWS by Adelaide, this year they've put on 3 games that could go a similar way.

Gold Coast is the least likely to be blown out today, given their clogball style. If Adelaide can't put on a big score against them, probably doesn't bode well for their match next week vs Melbourne.

There is some hope of a close game for GWS. They may not tire as badly as in recent games because of North Melbourne's tendency to play slow tempo keepings off (although that doesn't work well when you spend the day dropping easy marks, as was the case last week).

If Hawthorn don't lose by 60+ points... Brisbane struggled to kicked straight in windy conditions, is my guess.

For the record, here is every club's biggest margin of defeat:

GWS Giants: 96 (vs Adelaide, 22 S7)
Fremantle: 88 (vs Melbourne, 22 S6)
West Coast: 78 (vs Melbourne, 22 S7)
Sydney: 75 (vs Geelong, 22 S7)
Carlton: 73 (vs W. Bulldogs, 2018)
Gold Coast: 73 (vs Brisbane, 22 S7)

Geelong: 66 (vs Adelaide, 2019)
W. Bulldogs: 64 (vs Melbourne, 22 S7)
Melbourne: 60 (vs Adelaide, 2019)
Port Adelaide: 60 (vs Adelaide, 22 S7)

Hawthorn: 59 (vs Melbourne, 2023)
Richmond: 56 (vs North Melb., 2020)
St Kilda: 53 (vs Adelaide, 2021)
Collingwood: 50 (vs Brisbane, 22 S6)

Essendon: 47 (vs Adelaide, 2023)
Adelaide: 42 (vs North Melb., 2020)
Brisbane: 39 (vs Melbourne, 2019)
North Melb.: 38 (vs Fremantle, 22 S6)

Also for the record, here is the number of times each club has lost by 20 points or more:

Melb: 3
Ess: 4
NM: 5
BL, Haw, PA: 6 each
Adel: 8
Syd: 9
Coll, Geel: 12 each
Frem, GC, Rich: 13 each
WB: 14
Carl: 16
StK: 17
WCE: 23
GWS: 25

Sunday Bloody Sunday. The day after the men's Grand Final, when the AFL seems intent on scheduling one-sided women's contests. Last year it was the 96-point demolition of GWS by Adelaide, this year they've put on 3 games that could go a similar way.

If Hawthorn don't lose by 60+ points... Brisbane struggled to kicked straight in windy conditions, is my guess.
Brisbane is contributing to their plight at the moment, but it would be a bit of an insult to the Hawks and their performance to say it's the sole reason for the Lions current situation because the Hawks are playing really well and deserve to be leading 26-18 at halftime. Be very interesting to see if they can keep it up for another 50-55 minutes.

Brisbane is contributing to their plight at the moment, but it would be a bit of an insult to the Hawks and their performance to say it's the sole reason for the Lions current situation because the Hawks are playing really well and deserve to be leading 26-18 at halftime. Be very interesting to see if they can keep it up for another 50-55 minutes.
tbf to @ Teen Wolf, the prediction was made pregame

tbf to @ Teen Wolf, the prediction was made pregame
I know he/she can be a pretty disagreeable person at times, but I wasn't having a go, I was just complimenting the Hawks on their first half performance.

Yeah Hawthorn were pretty good in the first half. Brisbane always gonna run over them in the 2nd half, and they did miss a lot of shots, nevertheless it was a much better match than I expected.

Same old problems for the Hawks, getting cut up by the opposition talls. Gonna have to get serious about addressing that in the off-season, whether it be going after a rising star type in Zanker/Bannan or just somebody with top VFLW credentials (McGrath not getting a game at NM, for example).

Coach votes leaderboard after round 5

43Jasmine GarnerNMFC
38Monique ContiRICH
36Kate HoreMELB
33Laura GardinerSYD
32Tyla HanksMELB
31Bonnie ToogoodESS

The same top 2 as it finished up last year (after round 5 it was G Prespakis 41, Garner 40, M Prespakis 36, McDonald 35, Lamb 30, Conti 29).

Conti of course picked up a nifty consolation prize in the form of the AFLPA MVP, though at this stage I'd bet anything on that going to Hore this year. And then Toogood getting best captain. But still a ways to go.

Best First Year Player could be a tough one to decide. Looking like it'll be a decision between Scholz and a number of the Irish players--particularly Kennedy, Fitzpatrick and Moloney (wouldn't rule out Girvan or McLaughlin from the Suns yet, either).

Re the Rising Star but I cannot post in that thread - they have pasted Lauren's head in without properly removing Steph's first...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back