1.05pm AEDT, Victoria Park
Seven (VIC)

Fremantle vs St Kilda
12.05pm AWST, Fremantle Oval
Seven (VIC), 7two (WA)

Essendon vs West Coast
5.05pm AEDT, Windy Hill
7two (WA)

Holy shmokies, what a round. Wall-to-wall corkers. And that includes the West Coast game given that, a week ago, Michael Prior said "I really look forward to the next four weeks, I think we're a real chance to upset a few teams on the way home."

Well we know he wasn't talking about Melbourne as a potential win, therefore not Adelaide either. So he must've been talking about pulling off "upset" wins against 2nd-year Essendon and bottom-of-the-ladder Bulldogs.

True, though, the Bulldogs might not be on the bottom for much longer. If you were to just go by last week's performances, they will certainly beat Sydney this week.

There was a bit of spice between Port Adelaide and Gold Coast last year, so that might help inject some life into what otherwise might be the most straightforward result of the round.

With the probable exception of Hawthorn v Richmond, it's a weekend of Top 8 shapers, Top 4 shapers, potentially grand final venue shapers. Carlton get a lucky break in their finals pursuit, with GWS missing Parker (for the rest of the season, so the Suns benefit next week too) and Beeson out suspended.

Hoping Essendon, St Kilda and Sydney win.

I want them all to make finals.

I keep on hearing the whinge about the league expanding too fast. However, if they can all make finals (especially St Kilda) it'd mean that only West Coast (and in a couple of years time, Port Adelaide and Hawthorn) would fail to match the time it took for Melbourne to make finals. And considering they possess the best W-L record in AFLw history. It just disproves the myth that the league expanded too soon. When 14 of the 17 clubs (potential to be 16) can match the best in the competitions history. It's obviously a bs myth that the league expanded too soon.

On the other hand, I hope North Melbourne and Gold Coast win. If Melbourne/Port want to do a half arsed effort for indigenous round, **** em.

Alternatively, and contradicting my desire for St Kilda to win, I hope Walyalup can get the win. At least you do it right.

A very interesting three weeks with regards to the top 4 coming up, starting with Brisbane/Adelaide and Melbourne/North Melbourne this weekend. Essendon could find themselves in the top 4 by the end of the weekend, and if they can defeat Carlton and Gold Coast in their final two games could finish as high as third.

I keep on hearing the whinge about the league expanding too fast. However, if they can all make finals (especially St Kilda) it'd mean that only West Coast (and in a couple of years time, Port Adelaide and Hawthorn) would fail to match the time it took for Melbourne to make finals. And considering they possess the best W-L record in AFLw history. It just disproves the myth that the league expanded too soon. When 14 of the 17 clubs (potential to be 16) can match the best in the competitions history. It's obviously a bs myth that the league expanded too soon.
Melbourne played finals in their 4th season. This is St Kilda's 5th season in the competition.

Further, Melbourne (a team that has always finished with a top 4 record) taking so long to play finals only tells us of the screwy finals systems in the early years, nothing of expansion.

Regardless, having all 18 clubs involved is what enables the AFL's increased investment (for example: minimum salary jumping from $20k in Season 6, to $40k in Season 7, to $70k in 2026). To any rational mind truly interested in the development of women's football, that is all the justification required for the league's expansion.

It was a result of the stupid conference system

In 2019 it was, yes. In 2017 it was them inexplicably losing to GWS (the only match GWS won all season), and in 2018 they missed out on percentage after a 2 point loss (with more scoring shots) to the Bulldogs in the final round.

Realistically they should have made all three finals series, but blew it in 17/18 and were then hurt by the conference system in 19.

Last edited:
Richmond getting murdered by their own talls, yet again.

I don't know how Poppy Kelly can have 4 consecutive run-and-jumps in the ruck on the wing (late in Q3) against a much shorter and less experienced opponent... and still not manage a hitout to advantage.

Greiser easy dropped mark in the goal square. Ball slings up the other end for a Hawthorn goal.

And this against a team that has been smashed by anybody >5'9" all season. Brennan gonna have to do it all in the F50?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond getting murdered by their own talls, yet again.

I don't know how Poppy Kelly can have 4 consecutive run-and-jumps in the ruck on the wing (late in Q3) against a much shorter and less experienced opponent... and still not manage a hitout to advantage.

Greiser easy dropped mark in the goal square. Ball slings up the other end for a Hawthorn goal.

And this against a team that has been smashed by anybody >5'9" all season. Brennan gonna have to do it all in the F50?
It's OK, the umps just give them 50

Against a team that people expected to go winless...
Who are these people? Not anybody brave enough to post in the predictions thread, where you'll find the general sentiment was they'd finish 14th-15th with a couple wins (one person, moi, had them finishing 13th with 3 wins...).

How it started, how it's going.

AdelaideAdelaide
BrisbaneMelbourne
MelbourneBrisbane

CarltonCollingwood
CollingwoodCarlton

W. BulldogsFremantle
FremantleGWS Giants
GWS GiantsW. Bulldogs

North Melbourne after 7 games

2020: 6-1, 2nd on the ladder, best %, only loss by 2 points vs 4th, yet to play the other two Top 4 teams
2023: 6-1, 2nd on the ladder, best %, only loss by 2 points vs 4th, yet to play the other two Top 4 teams

I think North did a great job putting a list together to be really competitive as soon as they enetered the comp.
Coll and Carl have had some real ups and downs compared to other inaugural teams.
I think my club headed off in the wrong direction with the list build and obviously with the Coach.
Would be interesting to see which team has had the highest amount of players exit the club though are still playing elsewhere in the comp.
My guess would be Bris, says a lot about their list management and coaching group to be able to still be one of the better teams in the comp.

Would be interesting to see which team has had the highest amount of players exit the club though are still playing elsewhere in the comp.
My guess would be Bris, says a lot about their list management and coaching group to be able to still be one of the better teams in the comp.
I looked into something similar before last season:
And for the record, by my count there were 219 AFLW-listed players in the first season (2017), and 105 are still on an AFLW list (whether it's the same club or a different one) heading into season seven. Carlton have the most inaugural players now at other clubs (15), followed by Melbourne (12), and the rest are between 5 to 10.
If you were to also count players that played for a club in any season, Carlton would be even further in front of that unenviable list (consider Harris, Stevens, Gee, Dalton, Walker, Prespakis, Watt, Wilson, McEvoy, Egan, Jones, Gibbs and ~Van Dyk).

I think North did a great job putting a list together to be really competitive as soon as they enetered the comp.
Coll and Carl have had some real ups and downs compared to other inaugural teams.
I think my club headed off in the wrong direction with the list build and obviously with the Coach.
Didn't your list builder sign herself to a contract at 35 years old or something?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back