AFLW Round 5 - 2023 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

A few notes: Collingwood vs Essendon has been moved from the AIA Centre to Punt Road Oval. Richmond vs Fremantle will still be played at Ikon Park. Mind the daylight savings switch forward on Sunday morning.

Thursday, 28 September

Geelong vs Melbourne
6.15pm AEST, GMHBA Stadium

Friday, 29 September

Richmond vs Fremantle
1.05pm AEST, Ikon Park
7mate (WA)

Carlton vs Sydney
4.05pm AEST, Ikon Park
7mate (NSW)

W. Bulldogs vs St Kilda
7.15pm AEST, VU Whitten Oval
Seven (VIC); 7mate (NSW, QLD)

West Coast vs Port Adelaide
9.15pm AEST, Mineral Resources Park
Seven (WA, SA)

Saturday, 30 September

Collingwood vs Essendon
11.05am AEST, Punt Road Oval
7mate (VIC, WA, SA, NSW, QLD)

Sunday, 1 October

North Melb. vs GWS Giants
1.05pm AEDT, Arden Street Oval
Seven (VIC); 7mate (NSW)

Hawthorn vs Brisbane
3.05pm AEDT, Kinetic Stadium
Seven (VIC, WA, SA); 7mate (QLD)

Adelaide vs Gold Coast
5.05pm AEDT, Unley Oval
7mate (SA, QLD)

Geelong and Melbourne have met multiple times in pre-season, while players like Purcell and Scott have swapped teams (not to mention Daisy Pearce)--call it the Little Lily phenomenon...
littlelily.jpg

...but the time has finally come for the two clubs to play each other for AFLW premiership points.

Because of North Melbourne's loss last weekend, the chances of the grand final being in Melbourne have probably dropped from 67% to 50-50. And it'll drop even more if the Demons don't keep banking these Should Wins.

Collingwood's last 2 weeks have really opened up that 7th-8th spot on the ladder. I'm thinking the winner of this week's match between Carlton and Sydney will, incredibly, go on to claim one of those spots (while the winner of Gold Coast vs Essendon, in R10, takes the other). Worth playing for!

But it may be too soon to write off the Saints. If they can continue on with their 4th quarter rampage from Sunday, they'll still chalk up 6 wins, starting on Friday against the Bulldogs who are back at Whitten Oval for the first time in a while.

A bit confused why Richmond doesn't use Ikon Park for AFLW games then it comes out and host Essendon v Collingwood this week

A bit confused why Richmond doesn't use Ikon Park for AFLW games then it comes out and host Essendon v Collingwood this week
Punt Road, you mean.

Given the timing of the Rich v Frem & Coll v Ess matches, the updated choice of venues is probably the most logical from a crowd maximisation perspective, short of playing on the MCG itself.

Punt Road, you mean.

Given the timing of the Rich v Frem & Coll v Ess matches, the updated choice of venues is probably the most logical from a crowd maximisation perspective, short of playing on the MCG itself.
Yeah sorry I meant Punt Road. I get that but I thought Richmond don't use Punt Road because of the redevelopment??

Yeah sorry I meant Punt Road. I get that but I thought Richmond don't use Punt Road because of the redevelopment??
They didn't know exactly when the redevelopment was going to start, just that it could be some point during the season (potentially out of action for finals, for instance).

Richmond would want their home final(s) (should that happen) to be at a ground where they've played numerous times throughout the season, and they'd risk losing that if they play regular season games at PRO.

I still think Adelaide is the top seed

Crazy Adelaide are still paying $7 for the flag. Surely they are a better shot than North or Brisbane. They also host North later in the season which should prob get them top 2. Id still have the Dees as the 1 seed ahead of them though.

I don't know why anybody would think Adelaide have a better flag chance than Melbourne at this point. Either next week at the Field of Nightmares or in a GF at Ikon Park, the Crows are going to have to beat the Demons in Victoria and there's been nothing so far to suggest there's more than a small chance of that happening.

At least they've got Danielle Ponter playing well these last 3 weeks, without which they'd have no chance at all.

I still think Adelaide is the top seed

Nah. Adelaide are very good at the moment but Melbourne are another level again.

Both teams are extremely fit and can burn off most opponents with fitness alone. But the Crows generally rely on grinding an opponent down until they break and then reaping the rewards, while Melbourne do it by just applying pressure to create turnovers and then relentlessly attacking until their opponents are completely overwhelmed. Melbourne are so much more precise with their ball movement than Adelaide and have a much more functional forward line.

The Crows won't be able to grind Melbourne down, so they will be relying on stopping them defensively. That seems very unlikely in R6 without Sarah Allan, and I can't see Melbourne dropping any other match. Which means if Adelaide want to win a flag they'll need to beat Melbourne away in the finals.

My money would be on Melbourne going undefeated this season.

Having watched the entire GEE v MEL last night, I can confidently say that Melbourne are the clear front runners for me. Cats were cut to ribbons when Dees rebounded quickly and the last quarter in particular showed how fit they are as a unit.

Some bright lights from a few Cats like Georgie, Bowen, Nina and Aishling. But their bottom few players are not anywhere near the bottom few of the Dees.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mid-play interviews sinking to a new low. Asking questions (stupid ones--five of them) to a player who's out for the season, none of which have anything to do with the game unfolding.

Agreed - I really don't see a need for it. Especially when they have to cut some short like with Chiocci to rush to get her out back on the field...it's the same inane questions and banal responses by and large. Just show the damn game.

Poppy Kelly falling down before was like Don Corleone in the garden.

Probably gonna take a bit more than some gentle punching on to breathe life into this contest. O'Sullivan and Miller should've already put it to bed.

And as I type this, Brennan and Jones are given too much space and now... Richmond perhaps on their way to getting out of jail again.

Crazy result, unbelievable really. Richmond surrender the ground gained from their win vs Brisbane, leaving the door wide open to either NM or BL for that 4th spot in the top 4. S'pose it was obvious to see it coming, still they would've got away with another dodgy effort but for missing a whole lot of really easy shots (Jones x2, Egan, Greiser AND Conti all come to mind).

Richmond have been pretty average this season so far apart from that upset win over Brisbane.
They obviously have injury problems but Freo had Bowers and Antonio out.

McWilliams instrumental in 3 goals that quarter, putting Carlton in front by 12 at HT even though they've butchered the ball (57% de to Sydney's 67%) and had much less of it (115-151 disposals).

McWilliams instrumental in 3 goals that quarter, putting Carlton in front by 12 at HT even though they've butchered the ball (57% de to Sydney's 67%) and had much less of it (115-151 disposals).
And now she's missed 2 sitters in Q3. If that ain't the story of her career.

Yeah that second one was very gettable - not far out and only a slight angle.

Relatively free flowing game this, and Carlton mixing it up by pushing Peterson into midfield and forward.

Edit: And now McWilliams just dishing it off, probably for the best considering the space Hill had.

Well they held on...just. Sydney lost their heads at the end there, just needed a bit more composure a few times...Gardiner didn't have to move back into traffic and a couple of other wayward kicks...

Priviteli - even though she kicked 4 had a couple that were gettable.

Sydney looking promising though - miles better than last season.

Port Adelaide's few moments of individual magic to secure a lucky win 2 weeks ago didn't do them any favours in the long run. Real lack of "cohesion among teammates" (code for: always kicking to the opposition) and a bunch of players not pulling their weight, exposed even by West Coast.

Ironic how the only Port player glimpsing excellence is Dowrick*, who left WA after questions were deservingly raised around her commitment. *others would say also Scholz (kicking for a ruck doesn't need to be great, but hers isn't even serviceable yet) and/or Saint (don't really have anything against her, she's just a fine player)

For anything said about Port in their 2nd season, multiply it by 4 for the Bulldogs in their 8th. Nathan Burke says they need to be fitter, then highlights Kirsty Lamb as an example to emulate. A good player whose bad habits are catching up with her more and more--can still have an impact, but her season high of 18 disposals last night is a tease--typifies the problem with the Dogs' list.

St Kilda go 2 on the trot and are at home for the next fortnight against Hawthorn and GWS. Patrikios exceeded 20 disposals for the first time since 2021. Tyanna Smith, as Nick Dal Santo suggested, hasn't been getting much reward for effort. But if that changes quickly, they'll get on a roll for which their reward will be fully realising the cost of that loss to Port Adelaide. 🔁

Remove this Banner Ad

Back