AFLW Round 10 - 2023 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Before today I woulda said Steve Symonds is good for another contract but, ah, fair to say ending the season on this note will work against him pretty heavily. Not that I know if he's even looking for another contract... still technically lives in Adelaide, doesn't he?

Poor goal umpiring.

Shouldn't have tracked the ball into the point area, gave himself less time to get back to the goal post and out of the way, and then made the wrong call.

Goal umpires doing their best to get Sydney into finals again.

1 behind cost the Swans 7th place in the end. Elimination finals confirmed:

Gold Coast v Sydney @ Carrara
Geelong v Essendon @ Kardinia Park

All expansion sides and another one in the qualifying final (North). The AFL would be happy with that.
and teams from all the expansion stages (2019- Geelong/North, 2020- Gold Coast, 2022- Sydney/Essendon)

Maximum controversy averted there, would've been just as scandalous if the Swans scraped into 7th off the back of that decision.

St Kilda, well, ya blew it. But mostly with that loss to Port Adelaide. Today, as it turns out, not so much. Would've needed to end up winning by 40 points. Did get a tough break in the sense that their trip to Perth was against a Freo team with Aine Tighe.

Nevertheless, of the 3 teams with a realistic shot at grabbing that 8th spot today, it was only Sydney who looked sufficiently desperate and energised.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congrats to the Swans, it wasn't their best game this season, but their desperation and work ethic got them the all important win and a place in the finals. Gowans is a great coach and he has the girls playing an entertaining style of football and it will be interesting to see how they go against better opposition in a more intense environment.

Congrats to the Swans, it wasn't their best game this season, but their desperation and work ethic got them the all important win and a place in the finals. Gowans is a great coach and he has the girls playing an entertaining style of football and it will be interesting to see how they go against better opposition in a more intense environment.
The experience alone will be worth the effort. You can't practice finals footy. You need to get a taste for it and want to come back for more.

The experience alone will be worth the effort. You can't practice finals footy. You need to get a taste for it and want to come back for more.
True, and the dramatic climb up the ladder and comradery between the girls will attract further talent next season.

Would have been interesting if the Saints had kicked another couple of goals today. Swans were only just ahead of the Dockers for 3.5 quarters before kicking 3 goals at the end to make it comfortable. If they knew they needed a 15 or so point win to make it in could have been more tense.

But only have ourselves to blame for that, that Port loss was the one that got away. 20 point lead midway through the third I think and then they let 5 be kicked on them. Still they did a lot better than I thought they would after being 0-3... Need to back it up next season.

Anyway can't see Adelaide being beat esp if they won't have to leave home at all for the finals. Incredible club and players. Good luck to the rest! Hope there's some upsets...

If Essendon weren't flat track bullies and were good enough they would have beaten us on Friday night and play finals.

I know you say a lot of questionable things in these threads, but using “flat track bullies” in this fashion just makes you look foolish, hypocritical and bitter.

I know you say a lot of questionable things in these threads, but using “flat track bullies” in this fashion just makes you look foolish, hypocritical and bitter.
Flat track bullies mean they can’t travel. That’s proven having lost both games where they have had to travel interstate

Would argue that Essendon's wins were stronger than Gold Coast's wins
Don't forget Gold Coast pulled off two interstate wins this year and both were against top 12 Melbourne teams. Essendon had zero interstate wins in 2023.

Don't forget Gold Coast pulled off two interstate wins this year and both were against top 12 Melbourne teams. Essendon had zero interstate wins in 2023.

There’s nothing wrong with being bullish about your team, but if you’re going to be so ridiculously selective about it, you’re setting yourself up for failure. It becomes delusion.

It’s great that Gold Coast travelled well, but they won 6.5 games this year, and 3.5 of them were against the bottom 4 teams. Essendon only played a bottom 4 team once - and they lost that game - all their wins were against teams placed 6-14th. So you can see the point robbieando is making.

Top 12 Melb teams…wtf
You obviously don’t mean the 4 point win over Bulldogs I spose.

Mate, enjoy being in the finals but give us a spell with the “we don’t get the respect we deserve” stuff.
Couple of things didn’t go your way last year and a couple did this year.

It’s the fixture and a great conversion rate in front of goal that’s got you into finals.
You’ve had 111 scores with 61 goals.
That’s 55% that might be the best in the comp this year.
Ave 11 scores a game.

Sydney have had 142 scores for 64 goals. 45% conversion. Not great, but over 14 scores/shots at goal a game is pretty good.

GC have had 13 goalless quarters this season and without Rowbottom this week I think you just may end up with a couple more.

Top 12 Melb teams…wtf
You obviously don’t mean the 4 point win over Bulldogs I spose.

Mate, enjoy being in the finals but give us a spell with the “we don’t get the respect we deserve” stuff.
Couple of things didn’t go your way last year and a couple did this year.

It’s the fixture and a great conversion rate in front of goal that’s got you into finals.
You’ve had 111 scores with 61 goals.
That’s 55% that might be the best in the comp this year.
Ave 11 scores a game.

Sydney have had 142 scores for 64 goals. 45% conversion. Not great, but over 14 scores/shots at goal a game is pretty good.

GC have had 13 goalless quarters this season and without Rowbottom this week I think you just may end up with a couple more.

We never had Rowbottom last week too and managed alright.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back