AFLW Round 9 - 2023 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Would be karmic if the Suns/Bombers finished top 4 at the expense of your team after this comment. Unlikely considering North plays the 18th placed Bulldogs but you never know.
There’s zero chance dogs get close to us next week

We’ll be 3rd and going back to Adelaide to play them again with confidence we can get the job done this time

Someone's struggling with the concepts of fortune and karma, but yeah I think NM d WB is the likely result next week. Here are some other likely results next week imo:

Ess d GC
Geel d Haw
StK d Carl
Coll d Rich

Oh damn, that'd mean Gold Coast miss finals again.

Hatchard seemed very handball happy today which is a little unusual, normally she is around 60/40% kick to handball, but today it was 25/75. Marinoff was a little disappointing, she had 29 disposals but more than half of them missed a teammate or went straight to a North player, it's a shame we couldn't take advantage, but your back six were very good today.

In Hatchard's good years she kicks as much as she handballs, but in her poorer years she tends to get handball happy. Today felt like the latter.

Marinoff was good but since we were getting smashed through the middle she often just went for distance. I don't begrudge her for that because she was often the only one winning the ball for us, and every time we tried to get cute by hand we ended up turning it over.

Someone's struggling with the concepts of fortune and karma, but yeah I think NM d WB is the likely result next week. Here are some other likely results next week imo:

Ess d GC
Geel d Haw
StK d Carl
Coll d Rich

Oh damn, that'd mean Gold Coast miss finals again.
We'll see. I think Essendon are going to struggle in the Mackay 25+ degree heat and high humidity. Shouldn't be as much of an issue for the Suns. Also, your team isn't exactly anything to brag about either. Never made an AFLW GF and your men have finished bottom 2 in the last 4 seasons. Jog on.

One round to go and Sydney are in the top 8, I didn't expect that at the start of the season, they are, without a doubt, the biggest improvers this season.

Their coach, Scott Gowans has done a wonderful job to get this team playing a brand of football that is very competitive and attractive to watch after a terrible, rushed first season. He was unfortunate to lose the North Melbourne job after the Covid interrupted 2020 season, but it is great to see him back and doing so well.

The Swans go to Fremantle next week and I hope they can pull off the win, I'd like to see them play finals, Gowans and the girls deserve it this season.

Coll d Rich

Would you care to place a friendly wager on that game?
I’ll back the Tiges.

The loser will have to change their avatar till the day of the first final.
If Tiges win…my choice of avatar for you…

F8CBCFEB-6C03-47F7-92F0-1E2387AB1C89.jpeg

Do you accept?

Think I'm going to hang around a while longer. It is in fact those wishing not to read honest evaluations of AFLW teams/players who are recommended to travel elsewhere briskly.

2023 Captain Ratings
Molloy A+
Toogood A
Blackburn A-
Hore B+
Kearney B+
Eva B
Randall B
Koenen B
Brennan B-
Phillips B-
Swanson C+
Lucas-Rodd C+
Davey C
Priest C-
McDonald C-
Miller D+
Peterson D
Bohanna D-

Not rated: Acting/stand-in captains, and the less-important co-captains

Would you care to place a friendly wager on that game?
I’ll back the Tiges.

The loser will have to change their avatar till the day of the first final.
If Tiges win…my choice of avatar for you…

View attachment 1842052

Do you accept?
I'm not certain Collingwood will win, just think it's the more likely outcome. Too close to stake anything on it.

Only thing I'm certain about for that game: If Greiser plays poorly again, she will cop far less criticism than what Frederick gets when she plays poorly. I'm still racking my brains over why that might be the case...

I'm not certain Collingwood will win, just think it's the more likely outcome. Too close to stake anything on it.

Only thing I'm certain about for that game: If Greiser plays poorly again, she will cop far less criticism than what Frederick gets when she plays poorly. I'm still racking my brains over why that might be the case...
Thought it’d be a laugh, no probs.

Posted on our board before last nights game, Grieser has taken 13 marks laid 15 tackles and kicked 6 goals.
It’s not great but about on par with last couple of years.
Wakefield took 35 marks and laid 42 tackles last year, more games but still a big difference and needs to do more if she wants that spot for the long term.

Fredrick has locked down the #1 ruck, is really consistent and having a good year but that’s a turnaround on the last three.
Good on her, she’s a great competitor and looks on track to hit 100 games.
I probably sold her short.
Pies have reinvented her, she might not be a goal kicker but is a great example of not giving up or sooking it up.
Seems a better fit at the Pies than Richmond

Would be massive for either the Bombers or Suns to clinch a top 4 finals spot, especially considering the loser probably misses the finals. So much on the line.
Wouldn’t say “probably misses finals”. For Essendon to miss, they’d need to lose to Gold Coast, and would need 3 of Geel/StK/Syd/Coll to win (3 of those are also 10-15% behind).

I’m not saying it can’t happen (and I am nervous), but given 4/5 results have to go a certain way, I wouldn’t say “probably”. Both Essendon and Gold Coast could conceivably lose and still finish as high as 6th.

Think I'm going to hang around a while longer. It is in fact those wishing not to read honest evaluations of AFLW teams/players who are recommended to travel elsewhere briskly.

2023 Captain Ratings
Molloy A+
Toogood A
Blackburn A-
Hore B+
Kearney B+
Eva B
Randall B
Koenen B
Brennan B-
Phillips B-
Swanson C+
Lucas-Rodd C+
Davey C
Priest C-
McDonald C-
Miller D+
Peterson D
Bohanna D-

Not rated: Acting/stand-in captains, and the less-important co-captains
Not surprisingly you rank the Suns captain bottom… follows your anti Suns trend 😡

What achievements and success?

What heat?

Only on FTA in Queensland.
Achievement of being in the top 8 for the majority of the season since Round 2.

Mackay is known for the heat and humidity. From personal experience it takes some time getting used to. It is so hot and sticky up there. The conditions will favour the Suns who are used to it having played games up there for the past 4 seasons and for having 3 players (Bella, Gee, Randall) from Mackay.

FTA - why isn’t it on FTA? It’s a Friday night game and Channel Seven have been broadcasting Friday night games all season! Why change now just because it features the Suns? A few weeks a go they broadcasted Hawks v Tigers in Cairns so it’s because the game is in Mackay. VFL Bias

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn’t say “probably misses finals”. For Essendon to miss, they’d need to lose to Gold Coast, and would need 3 of Geel/StK/Syd/Coll to win (3 of those are also 10-15% behind).

I’m not saying it can’t happen (and I am nervous), but given 4/5 results have to go a certain way, I wouldn’t say “probably”. Both Essendon and Gold Coast could conceivably lose and still finish as high as 6th.
I’d just want to win on Friday night so I’m not nervous watching the rest of the games. We will need at least 2 of the results to go our way for us to play finals if we were to lose.

Richmond to beat Collingwood
Hawthorn to beat Geelong
Carlton to beat St Kilda
Fremantle to beat Sydney

If anybody knew that Jordyn Allen (4 touches to 3QT) won Collingwood's B&F last year, they've already forgotten.
Sure enough, not a mention of their no.5 pick in the Collingwood matchday thread. Keep in mind Tyla Hanks went at pick no.6 in that same draft.

Probably the most damning part of the Magpies' loss yesterday was not simply the fact that Sydney were without Ally Morphett, rather in how Sabrina Frederick exploited that advantage (39 hitouts + 2 goals) and they still lost comfortably.

Not surprisingly you rank the Suns captain bottom… follows your anti Suns trend 😡
Victim status confirmed. Let's ignore the smoke I've blown up Charlie Rowbottom's backside throughout her career, and in this thread.

Bohanna has been terrible this season, and we all know it. Her main contribution has been to get in Dupuy's way.

FTA - why isn’t it on FTA? It’s a Friday night game and Channel Seven have been broadcasting Friday night games all season! Why change now just because it features the Suns? A few weeks a go they broadcasted Hawks v Tigers in Cairns so it’s because the game is in Mackay. VFL Bias
Ch7 didn't do the Friday night games in R2 (Rich v Adel), R3 (Geel v NM) and R4 (Haw v Melb).

While I'm sure they were glad to not have to do GC v GWS last week, I doubt they would've had a problem covering GC v Ess. But they've got WBBL commitments, so they'll just have the 3 AFLW games this week.

The "probably misses finals" statement certainly applies more to the Suns than Essendon but the Bombers could easily find themselves in a muddle if they cop a bad loss on Friday night. 4 teams are just 1 win behind Essendon going into round 10 - 7th placed Geelong plays 14th placed Hawthorn which should be a Cats win, 8th placed Sydney plays 13th placed Fremantle which could be a Swans win, 9th placed St Kilda plays 11th Carlton which could be a win and 10th placed Collingwood plays 12th placed Richmond which could be a win. If 3 of these 4 games fall according to current ladder positions, which seems entirely possible/likely, AND the Suns beat Essendon on Friday night then it's going to come down percentage.

I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest the Suns could win by 4ish goals if the girls show up on Friday night so let's just say for argument's sake the Suns win 36-12. That would take Essendon's percentage down to 104.2% which means a Geelong win by any margin jumps them ahead of Essendon, Sydney would only need to win by around 10 points to jump the Bombers and then it'll just come down to whether St Kilda or Collingwood can score enough points to jump Essendon. FWIW St Kilda would need to win by around 30ish points under that circumstance and Collingwood would need to win by around 36 points.

I'll concede that it's unlikely but certainly not impossible for Essendon to miss should they lose on Friday night. It's really just going to come down to the margin should they lose to the Suns because a close loss basically confirms Essendon's spot in the finals barring several 50+ point drubbings in the other games. However, you're right in saying either the Bombers or Suns could lose and still finish as high as 6th and that just goes to show how close this season is. Should be an interesting clash on Friday night given a top 4 spot is potentially up or grabs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back