AFLW Yes, it's Round 7 of the 2023 AFLW season!

Remove this Banner Ad

Gut reaction to that Hodder grab is it's gotta be Mark of the Year (which would make her the first to achieve the Mark/Goal career double--arguably Phillips and Antonio should've already done it), but I'll have to refresh my memory to properly compare it with the other contenders (I know there's been a couple very good ones).

Somebody remarked the only thing wrong with it was that Davidson was able to get up after it, but I personally think that's an insensitive thing to say.

Went into this game hoping to see Richmond overcome their long injury list.

Quickly lost that sentiment when the talentless Sarah Hacking pushed and shoved Prespakis off the ball about 300 times in the opening minutes, then went to ground like a peasant when somebody touched her... for which she was of course awarded a free kick.

* her, and the rented jetski she rode in on (or was that her idiot sister, idk).

Much better quarter by Richmond, forwards played particularly good team football, and only won it by five points. Sheerin with a whopping 502 metres gained from her 12 kicks and 4 handballs... ok, now try the thing where you actually look for a teammate before kicking it.

This North v Port game is farcical as far as jumper clashes goes. Who is in charge of the AFLW again? Imagine the outcry if this happened in the AFL.

This North v Port game is farcical as far as jumper clashes goes. Who is in charge of the AFLW again? Imagine the outcry if this happened in the AFL.
It was very hard to tell the difference at the ground when it was at the opposite end, but as a general rule north were the ones winning the ball and kicking all the goals, which made it easier to tell who was who

Two players I think impact games in ways that many others don’t are Marinoff for Adelaide and Belle Dawes for Brisbane. I think it comes down to a player understanding how and when to be dangerous because they read the state of play in that moment. There are lots of good AFLW players on therms of athleticism and skill but not all of them can analyse the game on the fly and make decisions in a split second that change things their team’s way. I really like watching Dawes and Marinoff play. There are others, too but they have stood out for me recently.

Are there any juniors coming through in WA? I'm watching West Coast at the moment, and I don't think they have shown any improvement since they joined the league. Part of it may be coaching but they look directionless, they panic with ball in hand, they are unable to connect with teammates and they look slow and reactionary. I'm not sure what they can do in the coming years if there are no talented juniors coming through.

There's always going to be lots of talent coming through. Where it goes is the bigger issue. See: Sabreena Duffy, Mikayla Bowen, Abbey Dowrick and Courtney Hodder. Go back a bit further: Ruby Schleicher, Stephanie Cain and Sabrina Frederick. Further still: Emma King, Chelsea Randall and Gemma Houghton.

All of those players are contributing nothing to the two AFLW teams in their state of origin. Wouldn't be such an issue for Fremantle and West Coast if WA took from SA/VIC/QLD as good as it's given, but it's practically been a one-way journey for five years.

Mulling over all the machinations and I'm feeling pretty confident that, again, the best 8 teams will be playing finals, despite the fixture.

Ade, Melb, NM, BL, Coll, Geel and Ess have been the 7 best teams. There is a chance Collingwood plays well across the last 3 rounds and still misses out on finals, but it's hard to complain about that if it's the Suns or Saints (i.e. teams they lost to) taking their place.

Who is the 8th best team. At the moment, a good case could be made for any of Gold Coast, Carlton and St Kilda (none of whom are better than a full-strength Richmond, but that's the way it goes).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mulling over all the machinations and I'm feeling pretty confident that, again, the best 8 teams will be playing finals, despite the fixture.

Ade, Melb, NM, BL, Coll, Geel and Ess have been the 7 best teams. There is a chance Collingwood plays well across the last 3 rounds and still misses out on finals, but it's hard to complain about that if it's the Suns or Saints (i.e. teams they lost to) taking their place.

Who is the 8th best team. At the moment, a good case could be made for any of Gold Coast, Carlton and St Kilda (none of whom are better than a full-strength Richmond, but that's the way it goes).
No one from below the top 4 can win the flag. The rest are that far off it their just making up the numbers. I hope now we see some improvement in the standard going forward, because most games are excruciating viewing. And please dont mention the umpiring standard. Big job ahead for the AFL.

No one from below the top 4 can win the flag. The rest are that far off it their just making up the numbers. I hope now we see some improvement in the standard going forward, because most games are excruciating viewing. And please dont mention the umpiring standard. Big job ahead for the AFL.
Yeah if a team outside the top 4 won it, that would be a freak occurrence. Unlike in the men's competition, where such a thing is common.

I guarantee people who say stuff like "most games are excruciating viewing" don't watch most games. They tend to watch mostly just their own team, which is likely one of the clubs that score less than 35 points per game.

Yeah if a team outside the top 4 won it, that would be a freak occurrence. Unlike in the men's competition, where such a thing is common.

I guarantee people who say stuff like "most games are excruciating viewing" don't watch most games. They tend to watch mostly just their own team, which is likely one of the clubs that score less than 35 points per game.
I watch at least a half of every game. I also think if the umpires payed all the free kicks that were there the game would flow a lot better. And your lucky because North have one of the better teams, but you must admit that first quarter yesterday. OMG and then Port weren't competetive.

The injury list at Richmond is long and that’s probably pulling players outve preferred positions a little.
Another problem the Tigers have with their list is that in the 44 games (thereabouts) the club has been playing in the league we’ve only had one Rising star nomination.
Elle McKenzie.
She is a wonderful player but we don’t seem to be really developing some young talent we’ve identified.

Maybe, Charlie Ryan…she’s been unlucky with an ACL in her draft year missed last season, had a soft tissue and now has glandular fever.
But she hasn’t been tested
Amelia Peck tall 21 yr old F/Ruck. Just suffered an ACL.
But regardless, one rising star nomination in 4.5 seasons isn’t very good.

Last edited:
The injury list at Richmond is long and that’s probably pulling players outve preferred positions a little.
Another problem the Tigers have with their list is that in the 44 games (thereabouts) the club has been playing in the league we’ve only had one Rising star nomination.
Elle McKenzie.
She is a wonderful player but we don’t seem to be really developing some young talent we’ve identified.

Maybe, Charlie Ryan…she’s been unlucky with an ACL in her draft year missed last season, had a soft tissue and now has glandular fever.
But she hasn’t been tested
Amelia Peck tall 21 yr old F/Ruck. Just suffered an ACL.
But regardless, one rising star nomination in 4.5 seasons isn’t very good.

Yes well, for a start, Yassir should've picked up her first nomination 1 year before your post, not 1 hour after it.

Further, that list alone shows the problem of equating the Rising Star award with player development. Of the 15 still remaining at the Bulldogs (for example), they've practically all been spinning their wheels since being nominated.

If we're talking about the contingent of 23-and-under talent, it seems to hold up pretty well against any team, for example...

Hanks (23) - Conti (23)
Zanker (23) - McKenzie (21)
Purcell (23) - Egan (23)
Bannan (21) - Jones (23)
Heath (23) - Yassir (20)
McNamara (21) - Ryan (19)

The main difference there is Purcell and McNamara are on the rebound from major injury troubles, while the younger McKenzie and Ryan are still going through that.

While the Dees have got a couple of other young players who are currently going okay, for which comparisons to any current Richmond players would be a stretch, their list is the highest possible example that I could've chosen.

Ok make that two nominations, if alluding to the GC game last year.
Maybe.
Yassir has done some good things and and hope she stays healthy.

26 games seems a lot for a rising star though.
The main difference there is Purcell and McNamara are on the rebound from major injury troubles, while the younger McKenzie and Ryan are still going through that.
I understand the point you make but I would like to see more 1st year players at Richmond and I mean footballers.
I’m glad Egan is back at Richmond I thought she was good watching her when she played with our VFL team before we joined and Jess Kennedy was captain.
But she’s not quite at Purcell’s level.
With her and Hanks to go with the 31 goals this season from Banner and Zanker I think it shows that the Tiges at their best are about a 6-10th team and need more talent.

Ok make that two nominations, if alluding to the GC game last year.
Maybe.
Yassir has done some good things and and hope she stays healthy.

26 games seems a lot for a rising star though.

I understand the point you make but I would like to see more 1st year players at Richmond and I mean footballers.
I’m glad Egan is back at Richmond I thought she was good watching her when she played with our VFL team before we joined and Jess Kennedy was captain.
But she’s not quite at Purcell’s level.
With her and Hanks to go with the 31 goals this season from Banner and Zanker I think it shows that the Tiges at their best are about a 6-10th team and need more talent.
Splitting hairs with Egan and Purcell.

It's in the 24-29 age group where Richmond are lacking. Their top 6 in that bracket is Seymour, Dempsey, Miller, Greiser, S. Hosking and J. Hosking.

Whereas Melbourne's is Hore, Harris, Mithen, Birch, Gay and West. Miles apart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back