AFLW Yes, it's Round 7 of the 2023 AFLW season!

Remove this Banner Ad

A mixed bag of matchups this weekend. Varying from the likely slaughters of NM-PA and WCE-Melb, to some potential rippers (Rich-Ess, Carl-Coll, Syd-Haw).

Then we have your StK-GWS, Geel-Frem and GC-BL games in which the higher-ranked teams should win somewhat comfortably... but then you remember they've already dropped those sort of games this year (as recently as last week), they could do it again.

Finally, to start the round, a 1st vs 18th encounter which seems like the perfect opportunity for two teams to build upon their famously strange history. The only losses Adelaide suffered in their 2019 and 2022 premiership years were against the Western Bulldogs, at Norwood Oval, by 1 point. Bulldogs teams that fell short (well short in 2019) of even making finals in those years.

That said, the last time the Crows and Dogs met on a Friday night was in 2017--Adelaide winning that match, and then going on to win the inaugural premiership. So, win or lose this weekend, it seems like there's a good omen brewing for them.

Friday, 13 October

Adelaide vs W. Bulldogs
6.45pm ACDT, Norwood Oval
7mate (VIC, SA, WA, NSW, QLD)

Saturday, 14 October

St Kilda vs GWS Giants
1.05pm AEDT, RSEA Park
7mate (NSW)

Geelong vs Fremantle
3.05pm AEDT, GMHBA Stadium
7mate (WA)

Sydney vs Hawthorn
3.05pm AEDT, Henson Park
7mate (NSW)

Gold Coast vs Brisbane
4.05pm AEST, Heritage Bank Stadium
7mate (QLD)

Richmond vs Essendon
7.20pm AEDT, Ikon Park
7mate (VIC, SA, NSW, QLD)

Sunday, 15 October

North Melb. vs Port Adelaide
1.05pm AEDT, Arden Street Oval
Seven (VIC, SA)

Carlton vs Collingwood
3.05pm AEDT, Ikon Park
Seven (VIC, SA, WA), 7mate (QLD)

West Coast vs Melbourne
2.05pm AWST, Mineral Resources Park
Seven (WA)

I'll be going to the Eagles-Melbourne match this week. Been a while since I was last at an AFLW game - pre-COVID times we saw the Dockers play about 4 or 5 times, but now that we've moved, Fremantle is a touch too far whereas MinRes Park a bit closer.

Will likely be pretty one-sided agreed, but could see a record set of some sort I suppose.

Round Seven Milestones, Key Stats and Media Arrangements

MATCHES

Friday, October 13STADIUM (NETWORK)EDTLOCAL
Adelaide Crows vs. Western BulldogsNorwood Oval (Seven)7:15pm6:45pm
Saturday, October 14
St. Kilda vs. GWS GIANTSRSEA Park (Foxtel)1:05pm1:05pm
Geelong Cats vs. Walyalup (Fremantle)GMHBA Stadium (Foxtel)3:05pm3:05pm
Sydney Swans vs. HawthornHenson Park (Foxtel)3:05pm3:05pm
Gold Coast SUNS vs. Brisbane LionsHeritage Bank Stadium (Foxtel)5:05pm4:05pm
Richmond vs. EssendonIKON Park (Seven)7:20pm7:20pm
Sunday, October 15
Kangaroos vs. Yartapuulti (Port Adelaide)Arden Street (Seven)1:05pm1:05pm
Carlton vs. CollingwoodIKON Park (Seven)3:05pm3:05pm
West Coast Eagles vs. Narrm (Melbourne)Mineral Resources Park (Foxtel)5:05pm2:05pm
MILESTONES
  • 50 games – Belle Dawes (Brisbane Lions)
  • 50 games – Chantel Emonson (Geelong Cats)
  • 50 games – Ash Riddell (North Melbourne)
  • 50 games – Sarah Rowe (Collingwood)
  • 50 games – Kate Shierlaw (North Melbourne)
  • 50 games – Cathy Svarc (Brisbane Lions)
  • 50 club games – Libby Birch (Narrm)
KEY STATS
  • Bonnie Toogood (Essendon) requires three goals to reach 50 career goals.
  • Chloe Scheer (Geelong Cats) requires four goals to reach 50 career goals.
  • Alicia Eva (GWS GIANTS) requires 28 disposals to reach 1,000 career disposals.
  • Libby Birch (Narrm) is set to play her 50th game for the club. Birch is the first AFLW player to win two premierships at two clubs (Western Bulldogs in 2018 and Narrm in 2022).
  • If Kate Hore (Narrm) kicks more than one goal this weekend, it will be the 20th time she has kicked multiple goals in a game across her career.
  • Yartapuulti will play their first AFLW game at Arden Street for premiership points.
  • Narrm will play their first AFLW game at Mineral Resources Park for premiership points.
AFLW INDIGENOUS ROUND
  • The 2023 Indigenous Round is held across Round Seven and Eight of the 2023 NAB AFLW Competition.
  • The 2023 AFLW Indigenous Round honouree is Ebony Abbott-McCormack
  • Three AFLW clubs will swap their name for traditional in-langauge names, with Melbourne becoming ‘Narrm’ (pronounced na-arm), Fremantle becoming ‘Walyalup’ (pronounced wul-yul-up) and Port Adelaide becoming ‘Yartapuulti’ (pronounced Yarta–pole-tee).
  • All 18 AFLW clubs will wear specially designed Indigenous Round guernseys, while umpires at all matches will wear uniforms designed by Noongar Wandandi Boodja man and current umpire, Joshua James.
  • Sherrin has created the first unique AFLW Indigenous Round football, designed by proud Kaurna, Ngarrindjeri and Nurrunga woman, Gabriel Stengle.

Collingwood again without Schleicher, but they still match up favourably against Carlton. Livingstone suspended is no great loss, particularly dreadful last week. I think Sarah Rowe is set to become the 2nd Irish player to reach that 50 game milestone highlighted in the previous post, in a season which is tracking to be her best so far (on the back of her worst ~12 months ago).

As expected, Hannah Ewings pulling a few tricks out of the bag against St Kilda merely delayed the inevitable by three weeks. Another victim of those gosh darn "male ideals" eh.

Supposed to be a hot one (30-plusser) in Perth on Sunday arvo, which will probably assist Melbourne putting on a record score.

Dogs really took it up to the Crows in the first, it will be interesting to see if they can keep that intensity going for the whole, especially with a player going down early.

Crows lucky they are playing in SA with "their" umpires, a couple of potential Dogs frees in their forward 50 missed.

Last edited:
A mixed bag for the Bulldogs inclusions tonight. Ferres was ok, certainly shouldn't be getting left out of this team (let alone for weeks on end). Bateman wasn't great but somewhat lively (miles from the spark she showed at times for North Melbourne).

And Bailey Hunt was worst on ground by a big margin from what I saw (stat sheet has her laying 8 tackles, must've mostly been early in Q1 which I'm yet to catch). Cricket bats for hands and brutal turnovers. Their co-vice captain. Awful stuff, even allowing for the rustiness of a five-week layoff.

Speaks to the point that any Bulldogs supporter still crying about expansion is a shlub. 7th last year. 0-7 this year. Players going backwards at a rate of knots. Shudder to think what sort of nick Conti would be in if she hadn't left that rabble after their 2-5 season in 2019.

It would be too easy to look at a player like Niamh Kelly and wonder why the Dogs stand out as one of a few clubs currently not exploring the Irish frontier. What would be the point. More talent they bring in, more they waste.

A mixed bag for the Bulldogs inclusions tonight. Ferres was ok, certainly shouldn't be getting left out of this team (let alone for weeks on end). Bateman wasn't great but somewhat lively (miles from the spark she showed at times for North Melbourne).

And Bailey Hunt was worst on ground by a big margin from what I saw (stat sheet has her laying 8 tackles, must've mostly been early in Q1 which I'm yet to catch). Cricket bats for hands and brutal turnovers. Their co-vice captain. Awful stuff, even allowing for the rustiness of a five-week layoff.

Speaks to the point that any Bulldogs supporter still crying about expansion is a shlub. 7th last year. 0-7 this year. Players going backwards at a rate of knots. Shudder to think what sort of nick Conti would be in if she hadn't left that rabble after their 2-5 season in 2019.

It would be too easy to look at a player like Niamh Kelly and wonder why the Dogs stand out as one of a few clubs currently not exploring the Irish frontier. What would be the point. More talent they bring in, more they waste.
I thought Millie Brown won the worst player award, but there were a few other Bulldogs who looked a little out of their depth. Having said that, I thought the Dogs did well to compete for a majority of the game despite losing three players in the first half.

I know Ellie Blackburn is captain and she loves the club and will (probably) never leave, but I feel she could be wasting her career and her talents staying at the Western Oval. She is a former Melbourne Uni girl so I'd love to see her at North, but she could also play an important role at a club like Geelong, Carlton, Gold Coast or (heaven forbid) Essendon who are probably a midfielder or two short of being competitive against the top teams.

That patch of grass where Carruthers got poleaxed is building a reputation as the wing of carnage. Anybody remember this one from a couple years ago...

Oh and the McLeod head knock tonight also happened in practically the same spot too.

It's almost as if playing on smaller grounds creates more collision injuries...

I know Ellie Blackburn is captain and she loves the club and will (probably) never leave, but I feel she could be wasting her career and her talents staying at the Western Oval. She is a former Melbourne Uni girl so I'd love to see her at North, but she could also play an important role at a club like Geelong, Carlton, Gold Coast or (heaven forbid) Essendon who are probably a midfielder or two short of being competitive against the top teams.
The tightening of ASAs, in conjunction with the increase in tier payments, in the next couple years will certainly reduce the financial incentive for her to play at a club with no other legit All-Australians.

On the other hand, if Charlie Rowbottom at age 22 wants to return to Victoria (distinctly possible), the Dogs would fit her in more easily than anybody else. Put those 2 together (Blackburn would only be 30), get a new coach, whacko the diddle-oh, they're back in business.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jasmine Fleming will win it
Not based on the first six weeks of the season.

Some players have won it off the back of a couple standout games toward the end of a season though. The Hawks have a fairly soft run home, so she should be stepping it up at the right time. 13 and 15 disposals (and no goals) ain't gonna get it done this year.

Was watching the Crows Dogs thought Dogs should have been wearing a change jumper, and now watching cats Freo, and both teams wearing blue shorts, small things not sure it would happen in AFL

Was watching the Crows Dogs thought Dogs should have been wearing a change jumper, and now watching cats Freo, and both teams wearing blue shorts, small things not sure it would happen in AFL
Correct, you wouldn't have two teams wearing navy/purple shorts in a men's game. The reason that it now happens in women's games has been exhaustively explained at this point.

True the Bulldogs should've just worn their clash jumper though.

All that was missing from the Whelan-Bodey crash, and I do mean crash, was the twisted metal.

Hawthorn 1.7 to half time. Despite rarely looking like a tough place to play, Henson Park does have a rather turbulent history with regards to goalkicking accuracy, usually for the visitors. Most notably the game where Ponter kicked 0.6 (the current AFLW record for most behinds scored by a player in a game).

Sydney have been thoroughly outworked in this game. Highlights from Q3:

Scott Gowans, ever waxing lyrical about playing attractive football, compensating for his team's lack of effort by throwing Molloy behind the ball as a plus one.

Squandered goal from 10m out. Hurley giving an unselfish pass but then being too lazy to shepherd. Privitelli, nevertheless, still took too long to put boot to ball.

Szigeti, on the last line of defence, choosing to bump rather than tackle!

Sydney have been thoroughly outworked in this game. Highlights from Q3:

Scott Gowans, ever waxing lyrical about playing attractive football, compensating for his team's lack of effort by throwing Molloy behind the ball as a plus one.

Squandered goal from 10m out. Hurley giving an unselfish pass but then being too lazy to shepherd. Privitelli, nevertheless, still took too long to put boot to ball.

Szigeti, on the last line of defence, choosing to bump rather than tackle!

Thought we were likely to lose to the Hawks, spewing I didn't tip them.

Isabel Dawes did three phantasmagorical things in the first half, each one relying on a different skillset. Most players would be lucky to conjure any of those in an entire career--not Charlesworth Rowbottom though, who had one of the best moments of imaginative exactitude all season with that pass in the middle of the ground, over the head while on her knees.

I need science to explain the stride length of 164cm Jade Ellenger, which to my eye looks the same as that of 182cm Tahlia Hickie. It's like her legs are attached to her body by doorhinges, or something.

Klassic Kelli Kommentary at the end of the quarter there. Talking about how the Suns LOVE close matches, cos they've won 2 and lost 1 this season, even though they're 23 points down. They were also outscored in the 4th quarter last week, so I don't know why she's talking about them storming home.

Gut reaction to that Hodder grab is it's gotta be Mark of the Year (which would make her the first to achieve the Mark/Goal career double--arguably Phillips and Antonio should've already done it), but I'll have to refresh my memory to properly compare it with the other contenders (I know there's been a couple very good ones).

Somebody remarked the only thing wrong with it was that Davidson was able to get up after it, but I personally think that's an insensitive thing to say.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back