AFLW Round 1 of the 2023 AFL Women's season

Remove this Banner Ad

I love to see AFLW 18 a side on a small ground, say 140x120

I think it would be a great spectacle with increased scoring
I wouldn't say no to a smaller ground but 18 a side is really needed. It has had the opposite affect of the afl hoped it would. Game would improve 10x just from this change imo.

Missing heaps of easy shots in a game they should win easily? Dees back to their pre-flag ways.

You look at Casey Sherriff's career tally of 5.14, then see her first shot "at goal" this season deliberately aimed at the behind post. Yyyep, checks out.

Controversial perhaps, but in my opinion AFLX is an ideal concept for the Women's game.
They have completed destroyed the game by going to 18 teams, they would have being better by doing it by city like the big bash , also need to.play on rugby league grounds. Some of the players would struggle to get a kick in under 13 Boys as they have diluted the product so much

Kate Hore did a couple good things that quarter, but very poor composure with ball in hand when the team needed their leader to scruffneck the game.
Agreed, but she’s come back superbly in the third term. Gargantuan quarter from her and the Dees.

I love to see AFLW 18 a side on a small ground, say 140x120

I think it would be a great spectacle with increased scoring
They capped interchange because they thing tired players will reduce defensive pressure and open the game up for higher scoring, which is the exact opposite of having 18 players on a small ground, which ends up looking like U8s imop. 20 players within 10m of the ball at all times. Tackle, ball up, tackle, ball up, tackle, ball up. Repeat.

They have completed destroyed the game by going to 18 teams, they would have being better by doing it by city like the big bash , also need to.play on rugby league grounds. Some of the players would struggle to get a kick in under 13 Boys as they have diluted the product so much
This game is easily the highest standard game 1 so far.

And saying a woman wouldn't get a kick in U14 boys is a bit like saying she wouldn't get a kick in a tennis match. Probably true, but pointless comment?

So, not entirely sure where your coming from.

Agreed, but she’s come back superbly in the third term. Gargantuan quarter from her and the Dees.
Almost like flicking a switch. Most underrated player in the league, most frustrating player in the league. I've said both about her in the past, not sure which is more true.

This game is easily the highest standard game 1 so far.

And saying a woman wouldn't get a kick in U14 boys is a bit like saying she wouldn't get a kick in a tennis match. Probably true, but pointless comment?

So, not entirely sure where your coming from.
The woman's game was great three years ago when all women were at a certain standard now due to Gils greed there are girls out there that are so far below the required standard it's not funny. It's really quite sad, the pub I was at turned the channel over to the NRL as everyone was commenting on how bad it was

The woman's game was great three years ago when all women were at a certain standard now due to Gils greed there are girls out there that are so far below the required standard it's not funny. It's really quite sad, the pub I was at turned the channel over to the NRL as everyone was commenting on how bad it was
People see what they want to see I guess. Personally I think the standard has been fine - in fact it’s been brilliant at times. Pity that the folks at the pub missed an electric third term from the Dees.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of these players played in U13s boys comps and did well. So not sure thats very accurate.

It’s to do with bad coaching as much as recruitment. Brisbane lose their best players to Vic clubs every couple of years but they are able to replace them and coach journey type players to be good contributors. Meanwhile 2nd string players step up and outperform the player that just left.

Just switched it on. Couple of things j noticed straight away. Poor crowd for a season opener. And how shitty icon park look on TV. Thought it was better than that
Have you disagree with you. Was at the ground and had a really good crowd in. They were reporting on thr news around 6 to 7k which is great considering they are now charging entry. No better form.of market research I guess. First time I've been to that dump and there's actually been se atmosphere. And ironically Carlton wasn't involved.

Thought Collingwood looked good in the first half, but Melbourne were blistering in the second, still the benchmark.

Bannan doesn't get noticed like the higher profile Dees, but she is a unique player, very tall (177cms and seems all legs too), has to be one of the fastest players on their list and is a very good kick, especially on the run.

That standard was demonstrably lower. So if you prefer a more even but lower standard of footy, I guess your right to be disappointed. Contested marking is one thing that is orders of magnitude better now. Pressure was causing them to drop 1 out of every 2 or 3 uncontested marks, and some players practically had to come to a stop to collect a ground ball.

I would point out that a good portion of players from that time are no longer around due to being delisted, due to not being up to the standard.

And Gils greed? Your going to have to explain this one to me. Gil pressed to put on more loss making games because he is greedy? Does greedy mean something different where your from?

Just switched it on. Couple of things j noticed straight away. Poor crowd for a season opener. And how shitty icon park look on TV. Thought it was better than that
Bigger than last year? And paying?

Think they will be pleased.

It doesn't have the novelty factor it did, so it doesn't attract the event goers the first couple of season openers did.

It’s to do with bad coaching as much as recruitment. Brisbane lose their best players to Vic clubs every couple of years but they are able to replace them and coach journey type players to be good contributors. Meanwhile 2nd string players step up and outperform the player that just left.
That's weird, I thought the B in "B&F" stood for Best. So for Brisbane that'd be... Bates, Anderson and Lutkins. Two of whom haven't left, and I guess we'll see how Brisbane manage without the other one this season!

Thought Collingwood looked good in the first half, but Melbourne were blistering in the second, still the benchmark.

Bannan doesn't get noticed like the higher profile Dees, but she is a unique player, very tall (177cms and seems all legs too), has to be one of the fastest players on their list and is a very good kick, especially on the run.
They have a lot of weapons, and not a lot of clubs have the tools to cover them all.

Davey ended up with 35 touches. But ah... c'mon, if she's not on 35 at HT, no chance of cracking the 42 by Riddler (who was able to rack 'em up late due to supreme fitness).

That's weird, I thought the B in "B&F" stood for Best. So for Brisbane that'd be... Bates, Anderson and Lutkins. Two of whom haven't left, and I guess we'll see how Brisbane manage without the other one this season!
Body left and was one of the best small forwards and Jesse Wardlaw was best tall forward. You might need to brush up on your AFLW knowledge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back