Women's football licences to be announced today- who gets in???

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't tell if serious...
The reason why there are so many more men on suburban footy fields every weekend is because their footy skills have been nurtured since they could walk. Women haven't been given this chance. Until this decade, girls who played footy had no choice but to stop once they reached high school. There is a reason why the best women's footy players don't have the skills of the best male footy players. It is an ugly reflection of our patriarchal society.
Some of the players in the exhibition games basically walked into the top teams despite not having played since 13 or 14. Inconceivable in men's footy, and an indication of lack of depth. This will change over the first 5 years.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Some of the players in the exhibition games basically walked into the top teams despite not having played since 13 or 14. Inconceivable in men's footy, and an indication of lack of depth. This will change over the first 5 years.

Lack of depth due to lack of opportunity. As a woman, I'm sick of hearing about how we need to take things like this slowly. We deserve equality and we've deserved it for centuries. Giving women a stage is important and also the only way to increase the quality of the competition in the future.

Lack of depth due to lack of opportunity. As a woman, I'm sick of hearing about how we need to take things like this slowly. We deserve equality and we've deserved it for centuries. Giving women a stage is important and also the only way to increase the quality of the competition in the future.
In this case the only thing that will determine equality is how good the standard is and who is prepared to watch it . When talking AFL contracts you are not owed anything you have to justify the money being put into the female game .You "deserve" nothing just because you are women in this case, and that is the brutal reality .

This had not been slow. This was standing still for 150 years, and then flat out. Doubt it could have been done any faster to be honest, and the short season, 8 teams, semi pro status all flow directly from this.

It could have been a 16 team comp, full season, better pay if the AFL had spent the next decade in development first.

The issue is it develops faster if you go ahead and set up the league first, than if you develop first, set the league up later.

So in my opinion, everything women want in a footy league occurs faster and better this way.

In this case the only thing that will determine equality is how good the standard is and who is prepared to watch it . When talking AFL contracts you are not owed anything you have to justify the money being put into the female game .You "deserve" nothing just because you are women in this case, and that is the brutal reality .
It isn't the only thing. Just reading big footy reveals plenty of people who have already declared they will not watch. I do not see how the standard matters to those who have already made up their mind.

Attitude to women's sport is at least as important as quality.

It isn't the only thing. Just reading big footy reveals plenty of people who have already declared they will not watch. I do not see how the standard matters to those who have already made up their mind.

Attitude to women's sport is at least as important as quality.

You are correct it doesn't as you may have already gathered I won't be watching it but good luck with it if it is a resounding success then in 12-24mths time feel free to resurrect my posts on this subject and lambaste the $hit out of me ill deserve it .I just get my back up with the AFL these days trying to tell us how we should think and what we should like in tune with political correctness .

You are correct it doesn't as you may have already gathered I won't be watching it but good luck with it if it is a resounding success then in 12-24mths time feel free to resurrect my posts on this subject and lambaste the $hit out of me ill deserve it .I just get my back up with the AFL these days trying to tell us how we should think and what we should like in tune with political correctness .
It just isn't clear to me how setting up an elite comp and pathway for women equates to telling you how to think.

Political correctness has nothing to do with it. Giving half the population a chance to play footy beyond the age of about 11 (which is when my daughter, who was a fast, hard and skillful footballer was forced to stop playing, admittedly in the 1990s); ensuring the most talented girls have the opportunity to rise to the top, to be properly remunerated and trained and developed within the structures and systems of an AFL club; winning more fans to the game; giving AFL clubs a chance to shine in areas other than the senior men's team. The list goes on. I can see a lot of positives which go beyond the AFL being 'in tune with political correctness'. That's such a bleak and unimaginative way to view this initiative of the AFL.

Going from eight to 18 teams in the past seven years, remembering that starting with at most six in 2020 was the preferred option by the AFL at one point (particularly between 2013 and mid-2015), is a good reminder of just how fast things can move.

Hence recent reports of the PA's proposal to again double the AFLW payment pool--thereby resulting in the highest paid sportswomen in a domestic competition in the country, some seven years ahead of the 2030 projection--should come as no surprise (and if it actually happens: only a mild surprise).

All 18 clubs having an AFLW team is the primary driving force for improved player conditions. How much harder would it be to push through and justify significant pay increases while the likes of Essendon and Hawthorn sit on the side lines?

The "rush" to get all clubs on the same page, alongside a united players' association, means everybody already stands to benefit. It has set the league up for unparalleled success, in terms of women's sport in Australia, which by no means was otherwise guaranteed.

Oh I know, there are plenty of grouchy people who aggressively criticise CEO Gill and Spokesperson Nicole for the way the league is run. How many of them shared the views of the ~50 like-givers of this gem on page 1:
Incredible that Brisbane get one when they can't even look after their mens AFL club.

I don't know, but hey, everybody is entitled to their opinion. Though for some things--like that example, or the false notion that increasing the number of teams will decrease the quality of football played--the truth has always been pretty clear to any serious observers.

Even better, forget about opinion: the ongoing rise of sponsorship, membership, viewership, attendance and participation generated by AFLW is a fact!

Going from eight to 18 teams in the past seven years, remembering that starting with at most six in 2020 was the preferred option by the AFL at one point (particularly between 2013 and mid-2015), is a good reminder of just how fast things can move.

Hence recent reports of the PA's proposal to again double the AFLW payment pool--thereby resulting in the highest paid sportswomen in a domestic competition in the country, some seven years ahead of the 2030 projection--should come as no surprise (and if it actually happens: only a mild surprise).

All 18 clubs having an AFLW team is the primary driving force for improved player conditions. How much harder would it be to push through and justify significant pay increases while the likes of Essendon and Hawthorn sit on the side lines?

The "rush" to get all clubs on the same page, alongside a united players' association, means everybody already stands to benefit. It has set the league up for unparalleled success, in terms of women's sport in Australia, which by no means was otherwise guaranteed.

Oh I know, there are plenty of grouchy people who aggressively criticise CEO Gill and Spokesperson Nicole for the way the league is run. How many of them shared the views of the ~50 like-givers of this gem on page 1:

I don't know, but hey, everybody is entitled to their opinion. Though for some things--like that example, or the false notion that increasing the number of teams will decrease the quality of football played--the truth has always been pretty clear to any serious observers.

Even better, forget about opinion: the ongoing rise of sponsorship, membership, viewership, attendance and participation generated by AFLW is a fact!
Only issue I have with the above, is that I can’t think of another women’s team sporting competition that has a mens competition to lean on.

I imagine if the AFLW had to stand on its own, it would probably find itself in a similar situation to netball.

Only issue I have with the above, is that I can’t think of another women’s team sporting competition that has a mens competition to lean on.

I imagine if the AFLW had to stand on its own, it would probably find itself in a similar situation to netball.
So, bigger than men's netball then?

Women's netball is seen as a bigger sport than men's because historically it's seen as a women's sport, and high level women's netball has been around a long time.

Footy is the same, just reversed.

Any women's league in any sport historically seen as a men's sport is going to have to lean on the men's version, probably until most of the people who grew up with footy as a boys sport have died.

On SM-X200 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Women's netball is seen as a bigger sport than men's because historically it's seen as a women's sport, and high level women's netball has been around a long time.

Any women's league in any sport historically seen as a men's sport is going to have to lean on the men's version, probably until most of the people who grew up with footy as a boys sport have died.

No women’s netball. In a fair bit of trouble financially.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sport in general wasn't regarded as appropriate for women unless it was adapted to be significantly less sporty. There aren't too many sports with such a strong gender divide where women playing it is the 'norm', because anything that was girly enough to be appropriate for women back then is generally not regarded as a sport (such as competitive dance, calisthenics, cheerleading).

Netball, if you dig really far back, started as a misinterpretation of the rules of basketball that then became a separate sport that was regarded as appropriate for women to play. Other than netball, the only other really female dominated sports that are generally accepted as sports that I can think of are synchronised swimming, women's artistic and rhythmic gymnastics, figure skating and ice dancing, which for the most part are also ordinary sports adapted to be presumably less physically rigorous and with dance elements to make them appropriate for women and female-dominated 🤔

Umm, cricket and soccer for starters.
In fact, of all team sports that started as men's only, only basketball has franchises that aren't aligned with a men's team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back