Women's football licences to be announced today- who gets in???

Remove this Banner Ad

#themoreyouknow

Yeah, as the article suggests, the spruiking a few years back about the 'firsts' ground their gears a little bit. Tony De Bolfo is a gem of a historian for us.

So the draw is flexible. They will do 7 H&A games and one final if teams prefer as opposed to 6 H&A and 2 finals.

That's a top 2 as opposed to a top 4 though. I'd probably rather put up with an unbalanced draw temporarily as I think 2 weeks of finals is more important.

I'm making an argument (article) next week that they have 7 H&A matches, then the semis... then a two-three week gap to the Grand Final.

Why?

Because that would give them a Grand Final on Good Friday - bigger crowd and TV ratings then a curtain-raiser to a men's round one match.

Its insulting that you think that men have some sort of ownership over the game. Women are paying customers. Women are driving their sons to games. Women love footy. Women have as much right to play. And not just as your entertainment. It will lead to more growth to the game. But hey, I am sure AFL couldn't of done more research then you?

And I was referring to the some of the sexist men. Not every man. But if the shoe fits?
Of course they do but don't be too disappointed if not too many people watch it . And Ruby if its not entertaining( and entertaining is a broad term a close U/10 game can be entertaining if youre a parent or know the kids ) no one will pay to watch and it won't contribute one ioter to the game .There are many levels below AFL that would be a better standard than the womens game VFL VAFL country and suburban leagues 1sts and 2nds 3rds so if you are expecting people to watch the women purely because they are women and it is something different you are defeating the purpose in the first place of any notion of equality.

Last edited:
Sure, but they don't deserve 25k a year for playing that standard of football.

That's an insult in itself.
Its an insult to the thousands of young guys running around in country and suburban leagues playing for the love of the game and nothing else still producing a standard 20 times better than the women can ever hope to achieve.

Last edited:
Of course they do but don't be too disappointed if not too many people watch it . And Ruby if its not entertaining( and entertaining is a broad term a close U/10 game can be entertaining if youre a parent or know the kids ) no one will pay to watch and it won't contribute one ioter to the game .There are many levels below AFL that would be a better standard than the womens game VFL VAFL country and suburban leagues 1sts and 2nds 3rds so if you are expecting people to watch the women purely because they are women and it is something different you are defeating the purpose in the first place of any notion of equality.

I'm interested in this point, which you make with such conviction. How do you know that? Are you already a follower of women's footy? One of the benefits of the new competition, and the affiliation with the established clubs, is that the women's teams will be exposed to all the facilities and structured training on offer at the clubs. If the standard starts off poor - and I have no idea if it will - it wont stay that way for long. These teams will attract the best female footballers in the country, and they will be trained and coached to extract their best.

I'm interested in this point, which you make with such conviction. How do you know that? Are you already a follower of women's footy? One of the benefits of the new competition, and the affiliation with the established clubs, is that the women's teams will be exposed to all the facilities and structured training on offer at the clubs. If the standard starts off poor - and I have no idea if it will - it wont stay that way for long. These teams will attract the best female footballers in the country, and they will be trained and coached to extract their best.

This. Access to professional players, training, facilities, analysis and coaches on a regular basis will do wonders for the skill level of the top players.

Its an insult to the thousands of young guys running around in country and suburban leagues playing for the love of the game and nothing else still producing a standard 20 times better than the women can ever hope to achieve.
You realise the standard of play of the player has nothing to do with what a player is worth? A player is worth what people are willing to pay them. This generally works against women, if it works for them in this instance, then I have no problem with that. If those guys really are insulted, then they can just suck it up, but I doubt very much that they are.

The successful teams will be announced today- 12 applicants, either 8 or 10 team comp. so who gets in and who misses?
Only 1 application from Qld, NSW, SA means they will prob get in (Lions, GWS & Crows) Both WA teams applied so at least 1 from there. That leaves the remaining licences for the Victorian applicants (Carlton, Collingwood, Geelong, Melbourne, North, Richmond, St Kilda, & Bulldogs). At least 2 of these will miss out. Would like to see both Melbourne & Bulldogs rewarded with teams given they have been playing women's matches for several years but not sure it will happen that way. Thoughts???
When do hawks get a Womens side?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were part of the first recorded women's match involving two VFL clubs.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2013-03-28/when-women-of-carlton-took-to-the-field

Maybe if you guys had have supported the concept then, we would be 80 years in by now! :D
Hard to understand where Richmonds bid went astray then, we have a very accessible ground in Punt Rd, a female president and we were involved in that first match, not to mention a large supporter base, but really I dont mind if we wait and see how things pan out.
Without knowing what each clubs bids were its hard to complain about the outcome.

Hard to understand where Richmonds bid went astray then
Not really - They decided on four teams in Victoria; Melbourne and the Bulldogs were guaranteed due to their recent involvement in developing the women's game, Collingwood was guaranteed due to the size of the fanbase and the media exposure it would give them, and so it came down to Carlton vs. Richmond, a battle which Richmond lost in what was probably a bit of a toss up.

Not really - They decided on four teams in Victoria; Melbourne and the Bulldogs were guaranteed due to their recent involvement in developing the women's game, Collingwood was guaranteed due to the size of the fanbase and the media exposure it would give them, and so it came down to Carlton vs. Richmond, a battle which Richmond lost in what was probably a bit of a toss up.
I would hope there was more to Collingwoods bid than just numbers and Im sure there was but really it is what it is, hoping we join next year, I love any team in the old Yellow and Black.

And Carlton had first rate accommodation alongside the AFL team with access to all staff and a new coaching panel already in place. Most importantly they had the Northern corridor wired having done a heap of work with Darebin and the Vic women's football.

Not saying Richmond didn't do similar as I don't know. We have really asserted ourselves in that region though. We have known female players working at the club. And every part of our bid was ready to go right now.

It must be hard for you watching the Olympics, with all those women getting medals the same as the men, when they really should be half a medal maximum to fit with your perception of their inferior status.

Thinking that adult women should be paid nothing for competing in a national competition, the same as boys living at home playing amateur footy, hardy qualifies as thinking at all.

Hard to understand where Richmonds bid went astray then, we have a very accessible ground in Punt Rd, a female president and we were involved in that first match, not to mention a large supporter base, but really I dont mind if we wait and see how things pan out.
Without knowing what each clubs bids were its hard to complain about the outcome.

Our bid was based upon creating a female version of our laguntas program

Wonder if the afl had doubts about the number of available players we may have had access to (similar to the concerns with geelong)

It must be hard for you watching the Olympics, with all those women getting medals the same as the men, when they really should be half a medal maximum to fit with your perception of their inferior status.

Thinking that adult women should be paid nothing for competing in a national competition, the same as boys living at home playing amateur footy, hardy qualifies as thinking at all.
I don't see women as inferior at all .I'm all for equality in the workplace ,I just see them as inferior football players and the womens AFL a complete waste of time and money all for the sake of the AFL maintaining political correctness.

I don't see women as inferior at all .I'm all for equality in the workplace ,I just see them as inferior football players and the womens AFL a complete waste of time and money all for the sake of the AFL maintaining political correctness.
That would only apply if they played against men. Saying women in a female only sport competition are inferior to men is actually saying women are inferior. And as the previous post says, in almost all Olympic contests, female results are slower, shorter, lighter etc than men's.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

I would hope there was more to Collingwoods bid than just numbers and Im sure there was but really it is what it is, hoping we join next year, I love any team in the old Yellow and Black.
Of course there was - We're the best resourced club in the AFL across a range of criteria, we've got a centrally-located and world-class training facility that has already housed both our AFL side and the Melbourne Vixens (until recently), and will now have our own national league netball team to go along with the Women's league side.

We would have had one of the strongest bids regardless of the fact that we're the biggest sporting brand in the AFL by a fair distance, but given the exposure, we probably wouldn't have had to have such a strong bid.

That would only apply if they played against men. Saying women in a female only sport competition are inferior to men is actually saying women are inferior. And as the previous post says, in almost all Olympic contests, female results are slower, shorter, lighter etc than men's.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
This argument will only ever be decided when the competition starts and we see how many come through the gate .I don't care whether women play football good on them but when you are talking womens AFL fulltime professional you have to be good otherwise people won't watch period it won't be a case of " i'll make allowances for the pathetic standard because its a womens game so don't mind parting with how ever many bucks to come through the gate " .AFL has its appeal because they are strong ,fast superior athletes at the peak of their powers putting on a breathtaking at times spectacle and you can go a fair few levels below AFL (VFL ,VAFA, country suburban) and still get a good afternoons entertainment of good hard footy, women by virtue of the very reasons you have said slower,lighter ,shorter can't hope to deliver the same spectacle yet the players are getting $25K all for an exercise in political correctness.

Can't tell if serious...
The reason why there are so many more men on suburban footy fields every weekend is because their footy skills have been nurtured since they could walk. Women haven't been given this chance. Until this decade, girls who played footy had no choice but to stop once they reached high school. There is a reason why the best women's footy players don't have the skills of the best male footy players. It is an ugly reflection of our patriarchal society.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back