jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Started a thread to link in videos related to womens football. Video of games, interviews etc, please post here.

Post of an ABC story on womens football, with an interview with Jan Cooper, the womens national development officer re a Womens national league.

USA v Canada 2010 49th Parallel cup (Annual USA v Canada footy contest)
Not the most polished skills, but intersting to see 2 non Aussie sides going at it so hard, especially as there are no Aussie women playing.

Part 1

[YOUTUBE]DOCCLj8EPUo&list=PL4E4924A04FB5BE31&index=2&feature=plpp_video[/YOUTUBE]

Part 2

[YOUTUBE]KHpPsxo0X6c&feature=autoplay&list=PL4E4924A04FB5BE31&lf=plpp_video&playnext=1[/YOUTUBE]

Part 3

[YOUTUBE]a5F42nMs-Cc&feature=BFa&list=PL4E4924A04FB5BE31&lf=plpp_video[/YOUTUBE]

Part 9 (the last part)

[YOUTUBE]QqXxFc596Bg&feature=BFa&list=PL4E4924A04FB5BE31&lf=plpp_video[/YOUTUBE]

The other parts are available if anyone is interested

Ontario Division 2 2010 Grand Final. I included this because it is a rare video of a full contact mixed Aussie rules footy game. There are 5 or 6 women all up playing. Being Div 2 in Canada it is not the fastest or hardest game.

There is an interesting Canadian football forum where a poster (Australian) questioned the prescence of a women in a Div 1 game, and wether it was appropriate for her to have played. He was basically flamed and told that if she new the risks, and the club thought she should be picked, then there was no reason she shouldnt play (and she did). He was also told to piss of to his backwards hick country if he didnt like it.

I cant imagine this happeing in Aus. Is it due to Aussie/Canadian cultural differences, or simply that Aussies grew up with footy as the 'boys' game and netball as the 'girls' game. I think the later as from what I can tell, Canada has been playing full contact mixed footy from the start and simply do not have the assumptions re footy and girls that aussies have.

Note that I am not suggesting that you can play mixed high level footy, as physical differences will become more important as the standard rises.

Anyway, here is the video

I cant imagine this happeing in Aus. Is it due to Aussie/Canadian cultural differences, or simply that Aussies grew up with footy as the 'boys' game and netball as the 'girls' game.

Pretty much. Channel 7 in Melbourne ran a series in 2002 called "The Club" where they assembled a team and entered them into a local comp. Debbie Lee was a fantastic, tough player who certainly held her own with the men. Unfortunately the hierarchy had a collective heart attack at the thought of women playing the Man's Game and she wasn't allowed in the comp games.

There's a collection of The Club vids at: http://www.youtube.com/user/Hammerheads2002

Maybe it would be different today?

Nope, I think it would be exactly the same. We will see women in combat before they would be allowed to play in an officially sanctioned mixed Aussie rules game.

Part of my interest in the Womens game came when my veterans football team turned up for training one day to find the council had booked our oval out to some U16? girls teams. One of the teams didnt turn up, so an impromptu decision was made to split our team and the odd girls team up into 2 mixed teams and have a game. There were some questions before the game about how do you tackle them etc, but it was decided to just use common sense and have a got at it.

It worked very well, very enjoyable game for the guys. Tackling turned out to not be an issue, veterans is about not trying to kill your opponent anyway. If you faced a girl you just grabbed the back of her jumper or arms. Once the girls got used to the idea that we werent going to hurt them (which took maybe 2 mins), they had a red hot go as well. Opinion after the game was that some of the girls could really play, and they were of a higher standard than was expected.

The problem is that there is a relative lack of opportunities locally for these girls to play really competitive footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Netball isn't popular in Germany so there isn't any game marketed mainly for women.I have the feeling though that it may have been popular once though, because I can remember in my primary school (which was at that point already 40 years old) in a little village that they had these metal hoops on a wooden post with a measuring scale at the post, and I never new what it was there for, because it was never used. Now that I have heard of netball I think that these hoops on a poll were netball hoops. The only thing I ever used them for was for roughly measuring my height :lol:

Should ask our Canuckerstani friends! They'd have a few, I'd think.

A couple compilations like that, spread about, would go some way towards changes opinions of the women's game.

This highlights package posted to youtube recently has the best collection of tackles and hits in womens footy I have yet seen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back