World Series of Poker (WSOP) 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

didn't realise this was on live. pretty good watching.

one thing with the live coverage does this not open up some possibilities to get information that you otherwise wouldn't??

obviously not in hand, but you can get the information on what happened in a hand much quicker than in other televised events....

either way, it's good for the viewers. obviously the WSOP organisers have weighed it up and reckon it's a go. viewers would definately like it :)

didn't realise this was on live. pretty good watching.

one thing with the live coverage does this not open up some possibilities to get information that you otherwise wouldn't??

obviously not in hand, but you can get the information on what happened in a hand much quicker than in other televised events....

either way, it's good for the viewers. obviously the WSOP organisers have weighed it up and reckon it's a go. viewers would definately like it :)

What you're watching is on half hour delay so the cards aren't revealed immediately. Its common knowledge and accepted that people have friends watching at home and telling them the hands they were up against

As you would know they only show hands that have seen a flop, so not every hand is broadcast

There was a big dispute when 1 player refused to show the cameras at the end of quite a large pot when he had the worst of it. The TD stated it's in the contract they signed to play and he was forced to show

I think it's been awesome for viewers though I wouldn't be that happy playing on the feature table tbh

From the cutoff seat, Ben Lamb raised to 675,000. Matt Giannetti called out of the big blind and the flop came down
ah.gif
9h.gif
2d.gif
. Giannetti checked and Lamb fired 700,000. Giannetti called and the turn was the
7d.gif
On fourth street, both players checked to see the
2h.gif
pair the board on the river. Giannetti checked and Lamb fired a big four million in to the pot of 3.14 million. Giannetti then tanked for several long minutes. Giannetti looked pained as he tanked and tanked. He cut out the chips from his stack to make the call and then tanked even longer. Finally, he stuck the chips in.
Lamb turned over the
3c.gif
2s.gif
for trip deuces and Giannetti mucked his hand.
Chip Counts
Ben Lamb
26,120,000 5,805,000
delta_pos.png

Matt Giannetti
9,490,000 -5,415,000
delta_neg.png

Read more: http://www.pokernews.com/live-repor...poker/event-58-no-limit-hold-em-championship/

What you're watching is on half hour delay so the cards aren't revealed immediately. Its common knowledge and accepted that people have friends watching at home and telling them the hands they were up against

As you would know they only show hands that have seen a flop, so not every hand is broadcast

There was a big dispute when 1 player refused to show the cameras at the end of quite a large pot when he had the worst of it. The TD stated it's in the contract they signed to play and he was forced to show

I think it's been awesome for viewers though I wouldn't be that happy playing on the feature table tbh
yeah thats true. they know what the story is so you can't complain and everyone is in the same boat.

been good viewing.

i wonder how it's gone down with the non poker public.... i can't imagine if you weren't really into the game this would be very excited.

what are they going to do with later airings?? will it revert to the normal format of televised poker viewing with hole cards and cut out most of the hands??

Non poker people I have watched some coverage with have all said it was the most boring television they have ever watched.

yeah thats true. they know what the story is so you can't complain and everyone is in the same boat.

been good viewing.

i wonder how it's gone down with the non poker public.... i can't imagine if you weren't really into the game this would be very excited.

what are they going to do with later airings?? will it revert to the normal format of televised poker viewing with hole cards and cut out most of the hands??

The normal sunday night show will be as normal with 2 hours for each day, showing all the fun of the main event, the bad jokes and feature table rather than the actual poker, up until November where the final table usually gets televised a day after its finished

Non poker people I have watched some coverage with have all said it was the most boring television they have ever watched.

Yeah nobody whos not into poker would find this entertaining which is why we still need to the Sunday show which attract the general public. I still hope it lasts though its been great this year, would be 10x better if they got someone like Ivey or Durrrr on, not the Bobby Belande hasnt been awesome

I think the coverage has been great. But changes I would want:
- only reputable pros to do commentary (ie. no Phil Hellmuth or Johnny Chan)
- 4 feature tables
- WPT Royal Flush Girls, Victory Poker Girls or similar to be in the background

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just can't get into it, I get frustrated not being able to see the cards as they play out.

I also can't stand the douchebag commentator with the glasses and mustache, give me WPT any day.

Seat 1: Matt Giannetti (24,750,000)

Seat 2: Badih Bounahra (19,700,000)

Seat 3: Eoghan O'Dea (33,925,000)

Seat 4: Phil Collins (23,875,000)

Seat 5: Anton Makiievskyi (13,825,000)

Seat 6: Samuel Holden (12,375,000)

Seat 7: Pius Heinz (16,425,000)

Seat 8: Ben Lamb (20,875,000)

Seat 9: Martin Staszko (40,175,000)

Badih Bounahra is a 49-year-old businessman and father of three originally from Lebanon now residing in Belize City. He says he learned poker from television, and cheekily names seven-deuce offsuit as the "best hand in my eyes." He has a few cashes to his credit, including one WSOP cash from 2008 in a $2,000 NLHE event.
Phil Collins is a 26-year-old poker pro originally from Rockford, Illinois who now calls Las Vegas home. As his online handle "USCphildo" indicates, he went to the University of South Carolina where he met his wife, Katie. In addition to his numerous online successes, Collins has a number of live cashes to his credit (including one at this year's WSOP), although his payday for this year's Main Event will well exceed all of those.
Matt Giannetti of Las Vegas is a 26-year-old poker pro who previously attended the University of Texas. He has a number of cashes to his credit dating back to 2006 totaling nearly half a million dollars, including 10 at the World Series of Poker. His best previous finish in the Main Event was 521st in 2006 (for $22,266). Pius Heinz of Cologne, Germany is a 22-year-old student who first learned poker via home games with friends. This marks his first WSOP, and it has been a successful one, including a final table in Event No. 48 ($1,500 NLHE) where he finished seventh to earn $83,286.
Sam Holden is a 22-year-old poker pro from Canterbury, England. The former student is making his WSOP debut this year, and this marks his first WSOP cash. He has a few scores from the UK & Ireland poker tour, including a first-place finish last month in a NLHE six-handed event, though no previous cashes above four figures.
Ben Lamb's poker resume is easily the most extensive of the remaining 12 players, including more than $2.5 million in career winnings and numerous WSOP successes. "Benba" earned his first WSOP bracelet this summer in Event No. 42, the $10,000 PLO Championship, and added a couple more final tables to put himself in first place in this year's WSOP Player of the Year race. Today Lamb ensured he'd surpass his previous best showing in the WSOP Main Event, a 14th-place finish in 2009.
Anton Makiievskyi of Dnipropetrousk, Ukraine is playing in his first-ever WSOP. He's looking to be the fifth Ukrainian to take home a WSOP bracelet this year, which would pull Ukraine into a tie with Canada for the second-most bracelets of any country behind the U.S.
Eoghan O'Dea of Ireland is a 26-year-old student who says he first learned poker from the popular U.K. show "Late Night Poker." His poker resume includes a number of cashes dating back to 2005, including three already at this summer's WSOP. He's the son of the famous poker player Donnacha O'Dea, member of the European Poker Players Hall of Fame. Martin Staszko is a 35-year-old poker pro from Trinec of the Czech Republic who previously worked in the automotive industry. Stasko has four cashes at the WSOP already this summer, his best finish being 39th in the $1,500 PLO8 Event No. 51.

Seems like a pretty balanced final nine. There are no super short stacks, and no monster chipleader a la Jonathan Duhamel or Darvin Moon. Seven countries are represented, which might be something of a record?

I have to go to bed, but if someone else wants to do the math, go ahead.

Wanted to work out the range of POTY points that Ben Lamb will finish on, thus how far he will be ahead of Phil Hellmuth and the possibility that Phil doesn't really have any shot of catching him at the WSOPE.

Leaderboard: http://www.wsop.com/players/2011.asp
Event formulae: http://www.bluffmagazine.com/wsop-poy/formula.asp

Code:
1  Ben Lamb (1st) - 659.05 + 500 = 1159.05 (lead of 448.80)
1  Ben Lamb (2nd) - 659.05 + 350 = 1009.05
1  Ben Lamb (3rd) - 659.05 + 250 =  909.05
1  Ben Lamb (4th) - 659.05 + 220 =  879.05
1  Ben Lamb (5th) - 659.05 + 190 =  849.05
1  Ben Lamb (6th) - 659.05 + 165 =  824.05
1  Ben Lamb (7th) - 659.05 + 140 =  799.05
1  Ben Lamb (8th) - 659.05 + 120 =  779.05
1  Ben Lamb (9th) - 659.05 + 100 =  759.05 (lead of  48.80)

2  Phil Hellmuth                    710.25

Code:
[B][U]WSOPE Schedule[/U][/B]

Event #1: € 2,680 Six Handed No Limit Hold'em
Event #2: € 1,090 No Limit Hold'em
Event #3: € 5,300 Pot Limit Omaha
Event #4: € 3,200 No Limit Hold'em SHOOTOUT
Event #5: €10,400 No Limit Hold'em SPLIT FORMAT
Event #6: € 1,620 Six-Handed Pot Limit Omaha
Event #7: €10,400 WSOPE Main Event Championship

He should be moved, and players at the table should have spoken to a TD. And I say he should be moved cos I want her to stay on the TV table.

In a Crown tournament yesterday, girl gets moved to a new table and is sitting to the left of her boyfriend. She asks to be moved, and she was. I know the same thing has happened in the past with Annie Duke and Howard Lederer. And I'm sure the same would happen with the Mizrachis where possible (obv not possible at a final table).

I actually disagree.

I think the chance of collusion is far higher with people not in well known pre-existing relationships then with Moutinho and Sands. They know they are going to be scrutinised, whereas two friends who dont have that sort of relationship arent really going to be looked at that hard by the TD's.

At Burswood for example, I am far more scared of friends at the same table then family/couples etc...

I notice from the PN updates they ended up next to each other today, and she had position on him.

They clarified on the coverage yesterday that the TD ensures people with an existing relationship (eg. bf/gf, siblings, husband/wife) are separated on the start-of-day table redraws. On subsequent balancing of tables, it's left to random chance (which is what happened yesterday and today).

I dont mind the start of the day rule as much, but during the tournament if you get to seat x then you have to take it.

FWIW I am going to claim to be the hidden undercover relative of Phil Ivey and anyone else that is good so I never get stuck with them on my left.

From the cutoff seat, Ben Lamb raised to 675,000. Matt Giannetti called out of the big blind and the flop came down
ah.gif
9h.gif
2d.gif
. Giannetti checked and Lamb fired 700,000. Giannetti called and the turn was the
7d.gif

On fourth street, both players checked to see the
2h.gif
pair the board on the river. Giannetti checked and Lamb fired a big four million in to the pot of 3.14 million. Giannetti then tanked for several long minutes. Giannetti looked pained as he tanked and tanked. He cut out the chips from his stack to make the call and then tanked even longer. Finally, he stuck the chips in.

Lamb turned over the
3c.gif
2s.gif
for trip deuces and Giannetti mucked his hand.

Chip Counts
Ben Lamb
26,120,000 5,805,000
delta_pos.png

Matt Giannetti
9,490,000 -5,415,000
delta_neg.png

Gianetti had A9 for top two.

I just remember this hand because I had friends around to watch the telecast as well as the boxing last night. At 5:30 I set the line on his decision at 8 minutes and won $10 as my mate bet the under.

happy hewitt got knocked out before the last nine was settled. he came across as a real dickwad. still, he's a dickwad that is 600k+ richer

wouldn't mind seeing the irish guy win it. he seems all right. most irish are.

phil collins supporters will do everyone's head in. it's pretty funny now and then.... but after every handy he wins.... hmmmmmm.

Wanted to work out the range of POTY points that Ben Lamb will finish on, thus how far he will be ahead of Phil Hellmuth and the possibility that Phil doesn't really have any shot of catching him at the WSOPE.
Using BOTH WSOPs to determine POTY is a bit of a wank in my mind. The WSOPE has seven events now, which seems enough to declare a unique POTY at each of the series. Makes me wonder if any of the previous POTY winners, for the time the WSOPE has existed, would 'lose it' retroactively (if a countback were to be done).

As for Hellmuth, I find it kinda hilarious that he ended up with three 2nd-place finishes, and is a good chance to end up in 2nd-place in the POTY standings. :D
As much as I'm no fan of his, you gotta give him credit for the number of cashes and FTs he's had at WSOP events, with many of those in non-Hold 'Em events (where he's mistakenly believed to be quite poor).

Its not really a bump when its a sticky, but bumping anyway because we are now into November, and with that comes the final table of the WSOP Main Event.

http://espn.go.com/fantasy/blog/_/n...ble-broadcast-nearly-live-espn-espn2-espn3com

When we left the Rio in July, the November Nine had just been determined on ESPN2. When play resumes in Las Vegas on Sunday, November 6, the action will resume, for the first time, on ESPN2. Beginning at 3:30 p.m. ET, the cards will be in the air and broadcast virtually live on ESPN2. Play-by-play will be provided by Lon McEachern and David Tuchman with analysis offered by a soon-to-be-announced cast of professional poker players. Norman Chad and the ESPN Inside Deal team will provide coverage during the breaks. Sunday's final table play will continue until three players remain. Monday, November 7 will be a day off for the players and three-handed action will begin at 9 p.m. ET Tuesday, November 8, on ESPN with McEachern, Norman Chad and Antonio Esfandiari calling the action. On both days, in compliance with gaming regulations, the tournament will be broadcast virtually live on a 15-minute delay. Hole cards will be seen after the hand has been completed for any player who voluntarily enters the pot. Players who fold their hand preflop without putting any chips into the pot will not have their hand revealed.
Time differences means it is going to be an early morning (or a late night) for a lot of people.

By the wording of the article I am assume we get to see hands that involve VP$IP but dont see a flop. i.e Lamb opens, Gianetti 3bets and O'Dea 4bet shoves which gets both to fold... After the hand is complete obviously...

In order of who I would prefer to win the event...

Lamb: I have money on it and pwned Tony Hachem so I like the cut of his jib
----------------
O'Dea: Played pretty well from what I saw
Collins: Seems like a nice enough dude
Heinz: Played really well in my opinion
Holden: Short-stacked, but again, hasnt done anything for me to dislike him
-----------------
Gianetti, Stazko and Makiievski: Relatively neutral.
-------------------------
Bounahara: Man I hate people that do things like look away from the table and celebrate in "cold-blood" if you know what I mean.

Overall, other then Bounahara, there is no-one at the table that I have formed a disliking for, compared to in previous years having someone like Candio in 2010 and Darvin Moon/Cada/Begleiter in 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Back