World Series of Poker (WSOP) 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Just went down to the Amazon briefly to see the action, pretty interesting to overhear the conversations between players & the rail. Kerignard the man who busted Choc busted recently. Tons of action today.

With 16 left, the two shortstacks, Newhouse and Sabat, are the only names I recognise. Looks like another year of relative unknowns making up the Nov 9.

With only 8 Seppos left we're guaranteed at least one non-American at the FT. Two Dutch and one each from
Brazil,
Sweden,
Norway,
Austria, Spain & UK.

Shame about Newhouse, he's pushing it uphill from here, to make back 2 back FTs would have been one of the greatest achievements of all time in tournament poker. Think he'll regret how he lost half his stack, to go through this event without making at least a couple of mistakes jjust doesn't happen, hand actually very reminiscent of Esfandiari in the recent one drop.

- Martin Jacobson has 4.8 million in live cashes and heaps online (2nd in a SCOOP for 500k, 2nd in the Sunday Million etc)
- McCorkell is a bracelet winner and RunItOnce pro.
- Velador has won 2 bracelets
- Larrabe is a SCOOP winner and has ~400k of live cashes
- Van Hoof is a high stakes cash player who is pretty well known online (TheCleaner11)

Think u know what he means. :cool:
:thumbsu:
Newhouse on the climb :thumbsu:

Newhouse 3rd in chips with 15 left, its a shame he busted 9th last year otherwise he'd have a bigger following

and yeah Jacobson is a well known, was seated next to him during an Aussie Millions event this year

But as for poker 'celebreties' we are lacking this year for sure

Yes, I was suggesting a lack of names that are recognisable to the wider poker-following community, as opposed to saying the FT was likely to be filled with 9 Darvin Moons. :)

Pretty sure chino rheem is in the Newhouse rail, everyone is enjoying the Italians rail, they're running an $80 bi event about 30 yards from the two tables. :D

Edit, it's actually a 235 $ deepstack, still....

Double edit, apparently he's Brazilian, I have no idea. Michael Mizrakis gf just pushes her way into a saved seat, entitled Americans....

Last edited:
The thought of living with finishing 15th in the main event after calling off a 5bet shove for 40-50bb with KQo is enough to drive a man insane I think

Hand #65: Newhouse raised to 500,000 in middle position, Sarra Jr called on his direct left, Bruno Politano called in the cutoff, and Felix Stephensen three-bet to 2.25 million out of the small blind. Newhouse folded, Sarra Jr reraised to 6.7 million, Politano folded, and Stephensen moved all in for 14.74 million.
Sarra Jr called.
Sarra Jr: K:diamonds:Q:hearts:
Stephensen: A:spades:K:spades:
Nearly 25 million was in the middle when the dealer rapped the table and delivered a flop of 8:spades:9:spades:A:clubs:. Stephensen improved to a pair of aces and he had two spades, but Sarra Jr could still survive with running cards.
Unfortunately for him the turn was the 7:hearts:, leaving him drawing dead, and a meaningless 2:clubs: completed the board.
Sarra Jr earns $441,940 for 15th place, while Stephensen is now the chip leader with 27.86 million.

The thought of living with finishing 15th in the main event after calling off a 5bet shove for 40-50bb with KQo is enough to drive a man insane I think

Hand #65: Newhouse raised to 500,000 in middle position, Sarra Jr called on his direct left, Bruno Politano called in the cutoff, and Felix Stephensen three-bet to 2.25 million out of the small blind. Newhouse folded, Sarra Jr reraised to 6.7 million, Politano folded, and Stephensen moved all in for 14.74 million.
Sarra Jr called.
Sarra Jr: K:diamonds:Q:hearts:
Stephensen: A:spades:K:spades:
Nearly 25 million was in the middle when the dealer rapped the table and delivered a flop of 8:spades:9:spades:A:clubs:. Stephensen improved to a pair of aces and he had two spades, but Sarra Jr could still survive with running cards.
Unfortunately for him the turn was the 7:hearts:, leaving him drawing dead, and a meaningless 2:clubs: completed the board.
Sarra Jr earns $441,940 for 15th place, while Stephensen is now the chip leader with 27.86 million.
ah the old call / reraise pre with KQo......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He woulve left a lot of people in his wake I reckon as he ran this deep

There was a lot of discussion when Ivey was 2nd in Day 1C chips about the conversion rates of big stacks on Day 1s of the WSOP and them going deep. All the while it seems Ivey was playing as a dummy forward while Jacobson has taken the Day 1A chip lead to the final table

Joe Cada went Day 1 cl to winner as well, while I think aside from that only 3 other day 1 big stacks have made N9

Be interesting to see where Jacobson ends up. If he wins, it'll be quite the anomoly having 2 day 1 chip leaders winning the ME within 5 years

Newhouse played really well, M Mizraki, has 2 horses in, Newhouse and someone else who he is partners with in his website which I figure must be draft kings. Unless he was 10th man out?

Newhouse really set the Brazilian up before one of the breaks, he bluffed river & was called (river paired 3s so not the best spot to bluff) but got those chips back and then some with big river value bet after the break, and got paid. Interesting dynamics between top flight players at this stage of the tourney.

I missed the coup de gras, was down there tonight 2 see some of it and to speak too one of the pn people. Got a bit bored and ended up on the cash tables for a few hours. Van Hoof a favourite of the neutrals on the rail in the secondary feature, interacting with everyone, answering questions etc, possibly he'll get sick of the attention b4 too long

Interesting that Newhouse is someones horse after FT'ing last year

What I find most interesting/comforting is that Newhouse was under the starting stack at the start of day 2, while Jacobson was chip leader, its true that theres a lot of poker to be played after day 1 and the FT

Interesting that Newhouse is someones horse after FT'ing last year

What I find most interesting/comforting is that Newhouse was under the starting stack at the start of day 2, while Jacobson was chip leader, its true that theres a lot of poker to be played after day 1 and the FT

Probably horse is the wrong word, I just mean in terms of sponsorship, like a stazko or negreanu are in the poker stars stable. I asked Mizraki why he was railing and he said Newhouse and someone else, I figured he was there supporting someone, not sure if I have the Mizraki owning draft kings thing correct, but that's the most notable brand newhouse had on.

Would be interested what the views are here on the Newhouse achievement in thelse days of huge, stacked fields compared to anything else notable done in tournament poker.

Re your comment about Newhouse being under av stack, I think a lot of that comes down to the structure of the event. Even well under av stack in this tourney & 95% of the time there is no need to panic. I think a great deal of the field likely threw their tourneys away, including myself with AK vs AA against a guy who up until then had been very flatty preflop in the three or so hours previous, online with a hud vs someone similar I likely wouldn't even 4 bet. Even after folding to his 5 bet I would have had 22 bb which is a perfectly workable stack. Like a lot of players I did get impatient after facing 2 killer day 1 & 2 tables, and patience is the most rewarded thing in an event with this structure.

Re your comment about Newhouse being under av stack, I think a lot of that comes down to the structure of the event. Even well under av stack in this tourney & 95% of the time there is no need to panic. I think a great deal of the field likely threw their tourneys away, including myself with AK vs AA against a guy who up until then had been very flatty preflop in the three or so hours previous, online with a hud vs someone similar I likely wouldn't even 4 bet. Even after folding to his 5 bet I would have had 22 bb which is a perfectly workable stack. Like a lot of players I did get impatient after facing 2 killer day 1 & 2 tables, and patience is the most rewarded thing in an event with this structure.

Under starting stack is what I mean (less than 30k at day 2) but yeah him making it is a testiment to the structure

its just that often when u get cut in half early or something you can often feel like the tourney is done for you

With 16 left, the two shortstacks, Newhouse and Sabat, are the only names I recognise. Looks like another year of relative unknowns making up the Nov 9.

That's what the ME is, almost by definition. Headline players make it almost never, though there are usually some decent pros in there somewhere.

That's what the ME is, almost by definition. Headline players make it almost never, though there are usually some decent pros in there somewhere.

This kind of thing almost always comes down to how you define "pros"

If you are talking a top 10 TV prop (Negreanu, Ivey, Matusow, Hellmuth etc...) then its going to be rare, but the further you extend the idea of a pro, the more likely it is that a pro makes it, including a bunch of players who are great players but under the radar for various reasons (rarely playing TV events/live events, non-sponsored etc...). Reading the NVG thread on 2+2 with people dropping knowledge bombs about all these players was a fun read for sure.

Anyway, no real interest going into the final table in terms of preferred victories, might be a great one to watch as a neutral though with relatively even stacks as opposed to other years where I remember some people have 10bb or so and some monster chip leaders.

Just arrived back home, travelled cattle class, do not recommend.

Few of my posts here a bit addled, most were done at like 3 am or later in the morning on the abysmal internet I had in the RIO (I used vodaphone, apparently the RIO inhouse wifi was worse)

In previous posts I made my day one and two tables sound like Poker All-Stars - on reflection I did have a couple of tough players on each day, but that's not that unstandard for this event. I cold-decked Robin Ylitalo to basically send him out of the event on day one (well, running AK into AA did him eventually, but my turned toppest set over a flopped top set cruelled him), so he was off the table fairly early. Was crunched between three good to excellent players on day one. One of them was BB for my bttn and was a professional from New York, had a chat to him the next day and he was quite complimentary about the way I played, though probably that view dimmed a few days later when he was playing the 5/10 (or 10/20?, can't remember, edit, I can't actually remember full stop) limit table at the Bellagio and saw me with a camera around my neck getting photos taken next to the Bobbys Room sign. There were a few other professoinal players there, some were excellent, some were good, others I thought pretty average to poor, there were 3 marks on the table, including myself - it was pretty sweet when players were giving me chips basically because I have zero live earnings. I topped out at 55k on day one, and thought I got unlucky to run into a set 3 way with AK on a K hi board versus a guy who was barrelling off with TP bad kicker frequently, would have been up to over 70k , but that's the game. They say you have to run pure in this event which is true, but I think the biggest thing you have to control is tilt, especially collected hours of frustration when things aren't running your way.

Anyway, I'll post something more about the event in the next few days, some of the plays I saw which were good and bad and the mistakes I made - its obviously a fantastic event - the APL are not having anymore players go the ME, which I can understand from their perspective, so we were the last batch - I'll explain their thinking in the next few days, which I agree with, not that I'll be playing any of their peak events again for their "Silver" package which is what they are running with now.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back