Would you consider it acceptable for Essendon fans to change clubs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Augustine

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal
It is very rarely acceptable for fans to change clubs in my opinion. You're supposed to support them through thick and thin no matter what. The only reasons I can think of off the top of my head that I personally consider make it "OK" to swap teams are when:

- You're a very young child and you don't really understand
- Your club dies or is merged or relocated (Fiztroy fans supporting other clubs for example)
- Perhaps when someone in your family start playing for a different club
- You can no longer reconcile your own moral values with those of your club.

I don't mean to rile up essendon fans and I realise that the scenario is still unfolding but I'm interested in hearing people's opinions.

Bit overdramatic. They were only doing what 17 other clubs do as a matter of course yet were stupid in their approach, used a couple of idiots to source their supplements through a dodgy channel and didn't do checks and balance so may have got a shot of the banned stuff.

I don't think they necessarily set out to cheat. And if you think Essendon are the only club to engage in "exotic practices" use supplements or trawl the ends of the Earth for any advantage you are way off.

I don't think they necessarily set out to cheat.
I think they did, hence the inconsistent stories, the legal challenge at the federal court and continual denial and shifting the blame to other people and organisations. This behaviour is a sign of someone who was intentionally cheating but got caught.

Ok they may not have necessarily intended to cheat but there have been other ethical issues in this saga. Surely this is a valid question?

There are plenty of things to be proud of as an Essendon fan. But even the most ardent one eyed supporter must have at one point felt uncomfortable with their club. I've seen Essendon fans squirm with embarrassment when asked what club they support over the last few years.

Would you criticise an Essendon fan if they decided to quietly stop supporting them?

If someone feels like changing the club they support then more power to them. Sport is light entertainment and nothing more.

Well you're obviously thoroughly sane. Unfortunately there's a huge amount of people for whom sport is quite a bit more than entertainment. Objectively its nuts, but that's the reality.

Sure I've seen Nth Mel memberships do the rounds with scissors and the microwave and posted here on BF after a devastating loss.....Just sayin......

You're kidding? I have a no Bigfooty for 48 hours after a bad loss policy to stop me posting emotionally fuelled nonsense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another acceptable reason would be if my club abandoned its fans and lifted its skirt at anything north of the Murray.

Would you want them poisoning your club though?

Another acceptable reason would be if my club abandoned its fans and lifted its skirt at anything north of the Murray.

Or South of Bass Strait?

It is very rarely acceptable for fans to change clubs in my opinion. You're supposed to support them through thick and thin no matter what. The only reasons I can think of off the top of my head that I personally consider make it "OK" to swap teams are when:

- You're a very young child and you don't really understand
- Your club dies or is merged or relocated (Fiztroy fans supporting other clubs for example)
- Perhaps when someone in your family start playing for a different club
- You can no longer reconcile your own moral values with those of your club.

I don't mean to rile up essendon fans and I realise that the scenario is still unfolding but I'm interested in hearing people's opinions.
Changing your marital status can lead to change of clubs to avoid grief from partners family When children come around:)

Too much to play out before this can be answered.

You're probably right. But there would be plenty of supporters (a quiet minority mind you) who would feel uncomfortable with Hird at the helm. I don't know what I'd do in the same situation (I suspect I'd probably keep supporting my team at this stage) but I wouldn't begrudge anyone if they decided to quietly follow GWS or something till it all gets resolved.

Changing your marital status can lead to change of clubs to avoid grief from partners family When children come around:)

I'd put that situation in the "maybe" category. Depends on each individual case.

You're probably right. But there would be plenty of supporters (a quiet minority mind you) who would feel uncomfortable with Hird at the helm. I don't know what I'd do in the same situation (I suspect I'd probably keep supporting my team at this stage) but I wouldn't begrudge anyone if they decided to quietly follow GWS or something till it all gets resolved.
Well having the whole Tippett thing at Adelaide I was very glad when Steven Trigg finally left. You need to get rid of the people who orchestrated the illegal activity. If the EFC fail to get rid of those people then it becomes a tough one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back