• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
So, Abu Dhabi is starting today, marking the start of the 2021 Tennis season. Quite a good draw, with four top-10 players. The WTA just released the draw for the season til Wimbledon. Ambitious, but good to see some planning for tournaments. looking at the schedule, there seems to be a WTA 500 event a week after the Aus Open. It just says Australia, so perhaps another Aussie city will get to see some tennis as well.

Kiki Bertens is missing the Aussie Summer due to injury. I am sure Sara Errani is sad to hear about that. Good luck predicting who will be number 1 by the end of the year. Barty, Kenin, Osaka, Halep would be favs off the top of my head.

20210104_WTA-2021-Calendar_Calendar-No-Info.png

Some pretty random scheduling there. St Petersburg and the Chinese tournament are both very weirdly placed.

It's disappointing we couldn't have a big swing here post the Australian Open. Once everyone is through their initial quarantine it would have to be the best place anywhere to play.

So the WTA is playing a 500 tournament the week after the OZ Open - The most important tournament in the first half of the year is in Kunming - The WTA needs this tournament to go ahead because they have a strong Asian presence in the back half of the year.

There is no way that calendar stays the same, why there is a tournament in China between Colombia and Istanbul doesn't make any sense.

The big question is where that 500 event will be held in Australia after AO. It will be nice to see that go ahead

The big question is where that 500 event will be held in Australia after AO. It will be nice to see that go ahead

Brisbane, apparently

Yastremska tests positive. Another using the contamination excuse.

Her sample contained metabolites of mesterolone, an anabolic steroid which is sometimes used to treat low testosterone levels in men.

The outcome, for now, is a provisional suspension pending the result of an anti-doping tribunal. In a statement, Yastremska said that she would contest the charge and would be blaming contamination for the positive test.

Marta Kostyuk has a huge chance to make a semi here.

Shes a-coming. still only 18

Her small run at AO (3rd round, yeah?) at age 15 seems like a lifetime ago....

Rybakina vs Sabalenka. I like both, especially Rybakina, and I think if either get on a roll in a Slam they could jag one.

I really like Rybakina’s attitude and her determination on court. All the weapons you could want, just a matter of consistency and if she can move well enough against more nimble opponents.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Her small run at AO (3rd round, yeah?) at age 15 seems like a lifetime ago....
yeah *checks date* 2018.

that run, in the end, was bad for here. Did an interview with the WTA recently.

https://www.wtatennis.com/news/1969853/-i-kind-of-let-all-the-things-go-kostyuk-puts-the-past-behind-her said:
WTA Insider: Do you think you've been able to close the book on that 2018 Australian Open run?
Kostyuk:

That was a really tough time in my life. I was really at my lowest. I had to go through depression, never talked about it. I really tried to be super low-key at that time when I was struggling.

That time in my life was super challenging. It was many things outside of the court. I was just falling apart.

I would stick to that Australian Open for so long in my life. It was the highlight of my career back that. It was such a big deal and I just couldn't let that go, 'I want to go back to that feeling of how I was hitting the ball at that 2018 Australian Open.'

It took me some time and strength to let that thing go. I compare it to the US Open last year when I made the third round, it wasn't such a big deal. Like, I just made third round, whatever, we keep on going. I'm just trying to not take winning as such a big deal.

It took me a lot of time to not want to rush, to take time, to understand what's really important. It was tough. Now I'm glad I went through it all, but it's just an experience. I don't want to take it as anything else. But it was tough.

Fun fact: The moment I played my third-round match against Elina Svitolina. I sat on the sofa next to the practice desk area and I was sitting there and I clearly remember saying, 'Oh my god, how am I going to defend these points next year?' I was living that whole 2018 year how I'm going to defend these points. There were a lot of reasons I thought that.

Why I feel so much more relieved now is because I turned 18 last June and I can play as many tournaments as I want now. I don't have that border in my mind that oh, I only have two tournaments left, I have to plan my year

would be my tip for a big ranking bump(Covid not being a factor). ranked 99 now.

Marta Kostyuk has a huge chance to make a semi here.

Shes a-coming. still only 18
she made hard work of it. lost the first set 6-0, won the 2nd 6-1.

The last was an ugly set of tennis in the first part. Both players nervous and making too many errors and a lot of breaks of serve. Still, I liked that Kostyuk kept coming to the net to try and finish points off. didn't work all the time but enough as she edged it in the end 6-4.

she made hard work of it. lost the first set 6-0, won the 2nd 6-1.

The last was an ugly set of tennis in the first part. Both players nervous and making too many errors and a lot of breaks of serve. Still, I liked that Kostyuk kept coming to the net to try and finish points off. didn't work all the time but enough as she edged it in the end 6-4.
I was really impressed with the fact she gritted it out and got the win. First set she was too impatient and wasn’t constructing the points well enough, but you could see her mindset change as the match wore on which is very encouraging for someone so young. Shows strong maturity and composure.

I’m not sure what her upside is, she’s clearly very talented and has all the shots in the book. Just a matter of how far she can go. Definite top 10 potential down the track for mine. As you said I really liked the way she isn’t afraid to come into net, and she can actually volley. She needs to work on her approach shots and picking the right moments to come in, but her willingness to come in and finish off points at the net is a huge tick. 41 winners against a bit of a grinder is a sign of her explosiveness. Will definitely keep an eye on her as she progresses.

Good result for Sakkari over Kenin. She’s another whose career is on an upwards trajectory. She is just an all-round solid player with few faults.

Good result for Sakkari over Kenin. She’s another whose career is on an upwards trajectory. She is just an all-round solid player with few faults.
yeah. heard some quotes from her the other day where she said she was actually more of a defensive player back in her younger early days on the tour. In the last couple of years, it was all about hitting winners. She said that now that she feels and can play both and keep in points a lot better, especially against the better players. She has been steadily moving upwards in the rankings since she slammed into the scene a couple of years ago. Look like she will continue to that.

First point in the Errani-Ostapenko match.... Double fault from Ostapenko

Sounds like that will be fun.

Sharma got broken serving for the set. Kanepi is playing a lot better. The break was coming but reckon Sharma will be kicking herself for not getting the 2nd break in that set.

Back