Your covid +ve experience

Remove this Banner Ad

I cant be sure but I was on a south pacific cruise two weeks prior to Covid becoming a thing in the west and the cruise ship lockdowns in Sydney etc. Half the ship was crook with something (myself included) and I am guessing it was possibly Covid.

I cant be sure but I was on a south pacific cruise two weeks prior to Covid becoming a thing in the west and the cruise ship lockdowns in Sydney etc. Half the ship was crook with something (myself included) and I am guessing it was possibly Covid.
Cruise ships have always been floating germ capsules. People get gastro, flu, and even die. So it's quite likely covid was around then too. Weren't there some big changes in cruising hygiene either coming or being introduced? Like, no buffets, have to be served. Hand sanitiser on entry to dining rooms. More cleaning of handrails and door handles. I remember reading about it somewhere.

Cruise ships have always been floating germ capsules. People get gastro, flu, and even die. So it's quite likely covid was around then too. Weren't there some big changes in cruising hygiene either coming or being introduced? Like, no buffets, have to be served. Hand sanitiser on entry to dining rooms. More cleaning of handrails and door handles. I remember reading about it somewhere.
No judgement of anyone for their things but going on a cruise would be up there with getting kicked in the groin repeatedly on a list of things im keen to do.

took me about 6 to clear it all I reckon

It's just weird. Yesterday I was out of gas getting from the couch to the fridge, literally gasping for air (it feels like I can't fill my lungs). The day before I ran an easy enough 5km on the treadmill. I feel reasonable today but it comes and goes with no routine at all.

Sleep patterns all over the shop. 8 hours undisturbed one night, barely a couple of hours the next. It's debilitating.

It's just weird. Yesterday I was out of gas getting from the couch to the fridge, literally gasping for air (it feels like I can't fill my lungs). The day before I ran an easy enough 5km on the treadmill. I feel reasonable today but it comes and goes with no routine at all.

Sleep patterns all over the shop. 8 hours undisturbed one night, barely a couple of hours the next. It's debilitating.
its a messy bitch of a thing

I'm having similar issues regarding my breathing. I'm 30, double vaccinated and in pretty good health. I don't exercise as much as I should but I'm skinny and my diet is terrific. I caught Covid a few days after New Years and it was basically like a bad cold. A few family members had it at the same time as me and our symptoms varied, but for me it was just really bad fatigue, nasal congestion and a bit of a fever a couple of nights. No breathing trouble whatsoever and after 4 or 5 days of isolation I felt pretty much back to normal.

A couple of weeks later I went to a music festival, and the next day I noticed my breathing was a bit "off". I put it down to a big day in sunny 35 degree heat, drank a fair bit of alcohol, probably just a bit of exhaustion etc. It was too mild for me to feel any genuine concern and 2 or 3 days later it was gone completely. 2 problem-free weeks later I caught up with some mates for Friday night drinks. It was the first time I'd drank since the festival and it turned into a reasonably big night, but nothing that I wouldn't normally handle easily. Once again I woke up the next day feeling that my breathing was a bit off. I took more notice of it this time now that there was something of a pattern emerging, but I thought I'll give it a few days and it'll take care of itself like last time. It didn't.

Instead of my breathing feeling better every day like the first time around, this time I felt it getting progressively more difficult each day. I wasn't having any pain, it was just a weird sort of tightness/pressure in my chest. The more deeply I tried to breathe, the more resistance I would feel in my chest, and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't take in a full breath. After about 5 days every second was absolute torture and I just felt like I was suffocating all the time, so I went down to the hospital and got checked out. I had all sorts of tests done and everything came up completely fine. Heart and lungs were all good, blood tests came up clear, ECG was normal, nothing on the chest x-ray, oxygen saturation was at 100%, Covid test obviously came back negative. After spending the day at emergency the doctors collectively shrugged their shoulders and sent me home saying they can't find anything wrong with me.

It's been about 3 weeks since then and things aren't a great deal better. I don't feel like I'm constantly suffocating which is a plus, but I think it's partly because I've gotten used to it and it's not making me anxious like it did in the beginning. It's still impossible to take a proper breath and I get short of breath insanely quickly, like after saying a couple of sentences or doing a minimal amount of walking. My energy levels are completely tanked, I have a lot of brain fog and I get bad headaches on and off.

I've been back to the doctor a couple of times and I'm going back again tomorrow for more blood test results, but at this stage they haven't found anything conclusive. It's pretty obvious to me that it's long Covid, but the doctors I've seen seem hesitant to label it that until they've completely ruled out everything else. I'd say it's a given considering the problems arose a few weeks after having Covid, I've never had issues like this before in my life and nothing else is showing up on any tests.

Small sample size and correlation ≠ causation, but it's peculiar that alcohol seemed to almost kick start the symptoms for me, which after a bunch of reading up I haven't really heard of before. But it's such a new phenomenon that we really have no idea how it manifests itself, and the symptoms and recovery times etc are totally varied across the board. Also worth noting that my symptoms now are nothing like when I actually had Covid; the whole thing is just a giant lucky dip. This virus is no joke.

Sorry to hear that ^
Just as an aside, i found that after having glandular fever when i was early twenties, alcohol would set off my breathing issues and i was diagnosed as an adult with asthma and alcohol was a trigger. Pretty much gave up alcohol from that point and haven’t drunk much since. When i do ill have one or two and have ventolin before during and after.

Tested positive yesterday. Am really tired, have a sore throat and a little bit of back pain. Outside of that I am okay. Thankfully no breathing issues. I felt worse from the second shot than I do from the actual virus.

My mate who I was traveling with when I believe we got it was basically dead for about 8 hours and then it just disappeared as if nothing had happened =/

I'm having similar issues regarding my breathing. I'm 30, double vaccinated and in pretty good health. I don't exercise as much as I should but I'm skinny and my diet is terrific. I caught Covid a few days after New Years and it was basically like a bad cold. A few family members had it at the same time as me and our symptoms varied, but for me it was just really bad fatigue, nasal congestion and a bit of a fever a couple of nights. No breathing trouble whatsoever and after 4 or 5 days of isolation I felt pretty much back to normal.

A couple of weeks later I went to a music festival, and the next day I noticed my breathing was a bit "off". I put it down to a big day in sunny 35 degree heat, drank a fair bit of alcohol, probably just a bit of exhaustion etc. It was too mild for me to feel any genuine concern and 2 or 3 days later it was gone completely. 2 problem-free weeks later I caught up with some mates for Friday night drinks. It was the first time I'd drank since the festival and it turned into a reasonably big night, but nothing that I wouldn't normally handle easily. Once again I woke up the next day feeling that my breathing was a bit off. I took more notice of it this time now that there was something of a pattern emerging, but I thought I'll give it a few days and it'll take care of itself like last time. It didn't.

Instead of my breathing feeling better every day like the first time around, this time I felt it getting progressively more difficult each day. I wasn't having any pain, it was just a weird sort of tightness/pressure in my chest. The more deeply I tried to breathe, the more resistance I would feel in my chest, and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't take in a full breath. After about 5 days every second was absolute torture and I just felt like I was suffocating all the time, so I went down to the hospital and got checked out. I had all sorts of tests done and everything came up completely fine. Heart and lungs were all good, blood tests came up clear, ECG was normal, nothing on the chest x-ray, oxygen saturation was at 100%, Covid test obviously came back negative. After spending the day at emergency the doctors collectively shrugged their shoulders and sent me home saying they can't find anything wrong with me.

It's been about 3 weeks since then and things aren't a great deal better. I don't feel like I'm constantly suffocating which is a plus, but I think it's partly because I've gotten used to it and it's not making me anxious like it did in the beginning. It's still impossible to take a proper breath and I get short of breath insanely quickly, like after saying a couple of sentences or doing a minimal amount of walking. My energy levels are completely tanked, I have a lot of brain fog and I get bad headaches on and off.

I've been back to the doctor a couple of times and I'm going back again tomorrow for more blood test results, but at this stage they haven't found anything conclusive. It's pretty obvious to me that it's long Covid, but the doctors I've seen seem hesitant to label it that until they've completely ruled out everything else. I'd say it's a given considering the problems arose a few weeks after having Covid, I've never had issues like this before in my life and nothing else is showing up on any tests.

Small sample size and correlation ≠ causation, but it's peculiar that alcohol seemed to almost kick start the symptoms for me, which after a bunch of reading up I haven't really heard of before. But it's such a new phenomenon that we really have no idea how it manifests itself, and the symptoms and recovery times etc are totally varied across the board. Also worth noting that my symptoms now are nothing like when I actually had Covid; the whole thing is just a giant lucky dip. This virus is no joke.
Sorry to hear of your difficulties. Not meaning to minimise but you might be suffering from some underlying anxiety because of what you've heard about long covid. Whenever your chest feels tight, your mind is saying "long covid" and it tightens some more. Things can build up in your mind unconsciously and have a genuine physical response. You might benefit from some relaxation exercises and meditation, or even yoga. Do a bit of research, see if you can find some videos on YouTube, or even local classes. It often helps to find like-minded groups.

Hope you don't mind these suggestions.

One other thing, have they tested you for asthma?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ive had covid 3 times, Alpha, Delta and Omicron
I moved to Melbourne at the start of 2020
1st infection, Alpha variant - 2020, woke up with a sore throat and cough, got a test, it came positive 13th August 2020 (Day before my 13th Birthday) managed well throughout
2nd infection, Delta - 2021, Been to a Tier 1 site so i had to do a 14-dayer anyways, had to get the mandatory covid test when i received the notification and i was a bit tight in the chest and flu-like symptoms, this was just before i became eligible for the vaccine (early september) and it came back positive 2 days later, i started to feel better about day 4 and breezed through the rest
3rd infection, Omicron - 2022, School had over 400 cases at that point and my year 9 class had 14 alone, we have to do the twice-weekly RAT so i was just doing one and the 2 lines came up, i started going a little downhill not long after, the first 2 days was when i felt sickest but i felt fine for the last 5 days
I moved back to QLD since then, about 5 weeks back, house been flooded in the flooding and now were expecting a big Son of Omicron wave as my latest immunity wore off
Im starting to have oncoming symptoms of Long covid though.....

I tested positive Thursday and have progressively got worse, but still not anything severe. I have spent a lot of time in bed, the weather is s**t and can’t go past my property boundary anyway.

There seems to be a lack of info re: Cold and Flu medications to reduce symptoms. Just log your RAT and ride out the next 7 days.

I feel bad enough that I wouldn’t want it unvaccinated.

I tested positive Thursday and have progressively got worse, but still not anything severe. I have spent a lot of time in bed, the weather is s**t and can’t go past my property boundary anyway.

There seems to be a lack of info re: Cold and Flu medications to reduce symptoms. Just log your RAT and ride out the next 7 days.

I feel bad enough that I wouldn’t want it unvaccinated.
Antivirals can reduce effects if you take them early enough. Otherwise painkillers and hot honey-and-lemon drinks. Would Codral cold and flu tablets be effective?

partner tested positive today after some symptoms. earlier rat test negative at start of symptoms. tested positive myself since we have some spare tests but you can barely see the line. not that it matters since living together means i can't go anywhere anyway.
only if i think about it is my throat is a bit ticklish, but otherwise not really anything... yet. faint positive makes me hopeful i have an easier time of it, though it could mean it's still brewing up to hit me. partner has cold/sore throat/cough, and has commented on the thickest, goopiest mucous they've ever coughed up.

spent today mentally preparing myself for a week of %100 of housework and parenting a toddler like today. hopefully that's the worst i deal with.

Got the Spicy Cough yesterday. Been exhausted, achy and headaches. Struggled to sleep and sounded horrible so did a RAT as being a teacher meant I needed to test. Came back with a faint line.

Sleep was horrible. Could barely breath and was in a sweat all night. Hopefully it is the end of it though as I can barely keep my eyes open.

PCR confirmed it today. My wife and son also have it. Wife has a runny nose and cough.

Got the Spicy Cough yesterday. Been exhausted, achy and headaches. Struggled to sleep and sounded horrible so did a RAT as being a teacher meant I needed to test. Came back with a faint line.

Sleep was horrible. Could barely breath and was in a sweat all night. Hopefully it is the end of it though as I can barely keep my eyes open.

PCR confirmed it today. My wife and son also have it. Wife has a runny nose and cough.
One of the worst symtoms of covid post infection is poor sleep. Melatonin can help.

Last edited:
Symptoms first appeared Saturday. Lethargy, especially in my legs, and it felt like I had done 20,000 steps. Was very tired after being on my feet for a very short period of time. Was also very achey.

Sunday tested positive. Lethargic, achey, a bit of a cough. Very sore throat.
Monday. Achey, lethargic, runny nose. Very sore throat.
Tuesday. Cough, runny nose, lethargy returned in the afternoon into the evening. Sore throat.
Today. Very watery eyes, runny nose. Tired.

My missus has it, she's laid up in bed, and with school holidays I'm trying to work from home with the young bloke, not the best situation.

I'm not sure my boss is keen to give me carer's leave, I looked up Fair Work and I reckon i'm entitled to it, does anyone know?

My missus has it, she's laid up in bed, and with school holidays I'm trying to work from home with the young bloke, not the best situation.

I'm not sure my boss is keen to give me carer's leave, I looked up Fair Work and I reckon i'm entitled to it, does anyone know?
you should be, it comes out of the same leave balance as your sick leave

Remove this Banner Ad

Back