Your "I Don't Get It" Band

Remove this Banner Ad

Red Hot Chili Peppers.

I'm a fan of rock music, but I've never understood the hype.

A lot of people seem to have this take, which I can't agree with. Not many bands would have a Greatest Hits that would stack up to the RHCP.

Couldn't agree more on the Beatles.

I like them, I've got the boxset that JB used to have on sale with every album. I only ever really listen to Rubber Soul, White Album, and Abbey Road. Some great stuff in there, but maybe it's because I'm a musician as well, they are to me easily the most overrated band ever.
Excellent, my Spotify listening for the weekend is sorted (at least something to take my mind away from an appalling performance from my footy team).

More and more I'm convinced that our music taste/collection is guided by sliding door moments in our life, that could've gone either way with the smallest twist of fate. I don't think we're necessarily neuronally designed to dis/like a particular artist, or even genre. So much depends on who we encounter at sensitive and critical times in our lives.

That kid at school who irritated everyone but constantly played Dylan might've been enough to sway another person against that artist. The first girlfriend who loved Bowie might've had the opposite effect on a young bloke. A good friend of mine despises System of a Down because of a bad experience she had in the mosh at a music festival when they playing, even though the musical profile of that band perfectly synchs with her overall taste.

For me I was brought up with a musical backdrop of Zeppelin, Floyd, Sabbath, Bowie etc, and they embedded themselves into my psyche by being associated with happy times and bonding with older siblings. There was no Dylan or Beatles or Elton John in my formative years, so by the time I became a more discerning teenager seeking out my own stuff I'd already moved on from their brand of commercial pop. I needed the likes of Iggy or Zappa to float my boat by that stage.

I'm in my 50's now so it might be a good time to revisit these discarded artists to see what I've been missing.

Excellent, my Spotify listening for the weekend is sorted (at least something to take my mind away from an appalling performance from my footy team).

More and more I'm convinced that our music taste/collection is guided by sliding door moments in our life, that could've gone either way with the smallest twist of fate. I don't think we're necessarily neuronally designed to dis/like a particular artist, or even genre. So much depends on who we encounter at sensitive and critical times in our lives.

That kid at school who irritated everyone but constantly played Dylan might've been enough to sway another person against that artist. The first girlfriend who loved Bowie might've had the opposite effect on a young bloke. A good friend of mine despises System of a Down because of a bad experience she had in the mosh at a music festival when they playing, even though the musical profile of that band perfectly synchs with her overall taste.

For me I was brought up with a musical backdrop of Zeppelin, Floyd, Sabbath, Bowie etc, and they embedded themselves into my psyche by being associated with happy times and bonding with older siblings. There was no Dylan or Beatles or Elton John in my formative years, so by the time I became a more discerning teenager seeking out my own stuff I'd already moved on from their brand of commercial pop. I needed the likes of Iggy or Zappa to float my boat by that stage.

I'm in my 50's now so it might be a good time to revisit these discarded artists to see what I've been missing.

My sliding doors moment was in year 7 (1989) kid I sat next to told me all about this awesome band called Metallica.. so I brought the master of puppets album, was hooked about 45 seconds into the first song, still am

People complain that concerts are too expensive but it still sells out.

MCG isn't the most reliable venue for a concert either, I'm already looking forward to some melts on tiktok.
Yep, for $320 a ticket I'd be wanting a back rub from Taylor Swift as part of the deal. Can't imagine dropping that sort of cash for sitting a Jim Jess torpedo from the main stage, and the sound is notoriously shoddy in the venue too.

The biggest problem with Dylan & The Beatles is the saturation factor, saying someone or something is overrated is not saying they are talentless either by the way.

The history of music is abundant with great songwriters & musicians it's just lazy, comfortable with their tastes mainstream listeners that categorize a handful of people as the greatest ever.
The Beatles are far from the greatest ever in my opinion.
But I do ‘Get it’
I always wonder about a lot of so called Beatles fans, how deep they get into their deep album cuts.
Too many ‘silly’ tracks for my liking (Yellow Submarine, etc) but there is no denying the songwriting prowess of Lennon, McCartney and Harrison.

The Beatles are far from the greatest ever in my opinion.
But I do ‘Get it’
I always wonder about a lot of so called Beatles fans, how deep they get into their deep album cuts.
Too many ‘silly’ tracks for my liking (Yellow Submarine, etc) but there is no denying the songwriting prowess of Lennon, McCartney and Harrison.
Early stuff is pretty bland and mediocre.
If not quite fresh and innovative for the time.
Beatles are worth paying attention to from Rubber Soul onwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Early Beatles stuff might sound pretty bland now, but it was pretty fresh pop sounds that inspired future sounds. Then they changed tack completely and inspired separate future sounds. I'm a fan, there's some stuff I'm not that into, but I totally get why they are a big deal.
That above was exactly my point.
I love the Beatles, but they were not immune from writing their share of crappola like anyone else.
Maxwells Silver Hammer anyone?
There are plenty over their career.

That above was exactly my point.
I love the Beatles, but they were not immune from writing their share of crappola like anyone else.
Maxwells Silver Hammer anyone?
There are plenty over their career.
Not unexpected when they were producing an album every year. Nowadays, quality bands produce albums every three to four years. Imagine how stacked the Beatles albums would have been under that model.

First time I heard 'Tomorrow Never Knows' might have been very late 90's and I thought it was a new song by a current band, so I was very impressed to find out it was the Beatles.

The only thing overrated about them is that people think 'Sgt Peppers' is an all time classic album in all of music.

First time I heard 'Tomorrow Never Knows' might have been very late 90's and I thought it was a new song by a current band, so I was very impressed to find out it was the Beatles.
The late 60's it's just about the birthplace of everything in modern rock I'm not sure it's much of a wow moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back