80​
-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:
We were met by a furious lady on a fairway at Mandalay because my mates sliced drive went into their property and hit her husband in the mouth whilst he was gardening!
She stood there hands on hips “Right who hit it!” and then you hear a muffled “learn how to ******* play!” From the bloke with blood pissing from his mouth.
We told her that they need to tell the golf club.
I know Goonawarra recently changed their lay out because it was too costly from balls damaging properties.
They probably should have looked at what was over the fence when they bought the place. Bit like the people who bought the houses on 'The Block' this year. Guess what happens on that Street after dark?

Have played both Warrnambool and Port Fairy, both super courses, but if i had a choice would play at Warrnambool first, in fact playing there next Friday, spending a few days down at Warrnambool, and straight up said to the wife i'm taking my clubs.
I loved Warrnambool but walking up the second at Port Fairy i said to my playing partners that it already shits all over Warrnambool lol.

While admittedly I haven't played many great courses Port Fairy is by far my favourite out of the courses i have played.

I loved Warrnambool but walking up the second at Port Fairy i said to my playing partners that it already shits all over Warrnambool lol.

While admittedly I haven't played many great courses Port Fairy is by far my favourite out of the courses i have played.
Never played there but a mate who has basically bloody played everywhere raves about it too. Says it’s his favorite.

Warrnambool just has so many ho hum holes that would not be tolerated at Port Fairy and although they have done some much needed clearing it's still smothered in unnecessary vegetation. It has very good land but the routing is comparatively poor. The par 5's as a set in particular are quite bland.

They don't have a par 5 within a bull's roar of the 5th at Port Fairy for example. Nor a par 3 that gets close to the 15th at PF.

Got out at 13th Beach, on the ocean course. What a cracking course. Had a couple of pars and lip out birdie but then lightining game and we headed into the clubhouse after 9 holes. (get the club sandwhich).

Waited for over an hour, they said would be at least another hour but we had to come back to Melbourne.

Pretty flat but the club manager will arrange for us to get back there to play another round which is nice of them.

I was meant to play there today too!
How was it?

Not as good as I was expecting. It’s fairly short

A lot of holes make any club above a five iron useless. Many steep downhill tee shots that make reaching the green in two quite simple.

Greens were lightning though.

Got out at 13th Beach, on the ocean course. What a cracking course. Had a couple of pars and lip out birdie but then lightining game and we headed into the clubhouse after 9 holes. (get the club sandwhich).

Waited for over an hour, they said would be at least another hour but we had to come back to Melbourne.

Pretty flat but the club manager will arrange for us to get back there to play another round which is nice of them.
Great track! Keeping it on the fairway a must more than ever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What course will you NEVER lay again? Me, settlers run.
I struggle with the never concept

But if Leura burnt down it wouldnt be missed by anyone.

P.S, I like Settlers Run

maybe never is extreme, but....i cant think of any because even the ones i dont like i play annually (yering, huntingdale)

Really? Love that course.

For me it’s Portsea. Wasn’t a fan. At all.
Eynesbury went broke and it’s gone to the shithouse.
A mob has just bought the whole Estate and apparently the course will get a once over.
I find a lot of those courses like Eynesbury, Mandalay, Growling Frog all quite similar..blows a gale making tough courses even tougher. I’ll play anywhere though, but last time I played Eynesbury it was in a very ordinary state as they weren’t paying their Greenskeepers so they bailed.

Good call. Well to be fair to it i havent played there for some 13 years and i was a hack then (not much better now haha)
That must have been not long after it opened and the bloody rough was off it’s head.

I won’t play Eyensbury again for a fair while.

Agree with this, what a s**t hole, last time i played there the rough was greener than the fairways, it was a disgrace for what they charge you.

Another i would not go near is Kyneton.

Played at Queens Park last week-end. Stinton Oval looks a treat geez modern sportsman have it good. Shot 75 on what is a very short course..lipped out 3 putts because of poor hole cutting so score could have been better. QP was the course a lot of Geelong boys got their start on. Had not played there for 20 odd years. $28 for a round ...50 cents when I started back in 68. Course is not kept anything special but still a picturesque little track. Par I think is 66.

What course will you NEVER lay again? Me, settlers run.

I haven’t found one down here. I thought I wouldn’t play Quamby again but then they changed owners and it’s now an amazing course and one of only two within reach playable on a Saturday

Remove this Banner Ad

Back