80​
-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:
I am notoriously bad at this, I pick a reference point, but by the time my playing partner has hit and we start the walk down the fairway, was it that tree? That branch? And when I get there and the grass is a foot long and there is sh*t all over the ground, it's a lost cause anyway lol. I've been playing Spring Park pre lockdown because it's within 10km of home, if you hit a ball into the scrub there it is gone. Lining most holes is pretty thick nature and branches, sticks and stones all over the joint.
I was talking about you:p. Jk.

Its funny I see a lot of suggestions...hit a club you are comfortable with etc. But I am not so sure this advice stacks up for higher handicappers. Being a higher handicapper means you are not going to strike the ball well super consistently. Taking a Hybrid off a tee or a long iron is great if you get the result but when you miss badly you really are going to probably get a double or more.

Personally I think still go Driver...with the large head size, a real bad one will still get you 100/150 down and you still can get a decent score.

Recently played Lang Lang with my young adult kid...who is a long hitter but at the level where mistakes happen a fair bit. He planned to hit as many 5 woods off the tee as his good ones are very good. Played the back nine first and he buys a box of Prov1s and tees up 5 wood. First one off the toe...45 degrees to the right into heavy scrub....second brand new ball...same thing. Third one lovely shot down the middle but looking at 10 plus score and day done.

Others might disagree but I think you need to learn to use D to get better.
I believe you hit the club you’re most comfortable with that’ll get you to the green in regulation comparable to your handicap. I’m a big believer in hitting the biggest faced club in the bag on the first hole if you haven’t warmed up.

Having that 100-150m low shot is such a handy shot to have. It is actually something i think should be practiced more often especially for the mid to high handicapper
That’s why I’m on the hunt for an easy hitting 2 iron. It’ll go in the bag and I’ll ditch the 22 degree hybrid that very rarely gets used.

I agree, the other big advantage of learning to the hit the Driver well, it makes it easier at other end if you are using say a 7 iron instead of a 4 into the green or 9 iron instead of a 6.
Not really, because the point is that a high handicapper isn't going to hit anything very consistently.
Hitting off of the short grass is definitely the best way to give yourself the best chance at hitting a good shot. Higher lofted clubs are less likely to have side spin, as the loft produces backspin.
So theoretically if you hit an 8 iron 120m, then on a 360m par 4, 3x 8i and 2 putts makes you an 18 handicapper.
But that's no fun! Although you score well.
The reality is the most lost shots are on/around the green. If you can average 3.5 shots to reach the green and hit 30 putts, that makes you a 21 handicapper.
Having less than 30 putts should be the first goal to improve your game. It requires far less skill than learning to hit a driver 220m+ 14 times a round straight down the middle.

Not really, because the point is that a high handicapper isn't going to hit anything very consistently.
Hitting off of the short grass is definitely the best way to give yourself the best chance at hitting a good shot. Higher lofted clubs are less likely to have side spin, as the loft produces backspin.
So theoretically if you hit an 8 iron 120m, then on a 360m par 4, 3x 8i and 2 putts makes you an 18 handicapper.
But that's no fun! Although you score well.
The reality is the most lost shots are on/around the green. If you can average 3.5 shots to reach the green and hit 30 putts, that makes you a 21 handicapper.
Having less than 30 putts should be the first goal to improve your game. It requires far less skill than learning to hit a driver 220m+ 14 times a round straight down the middle.
I wish i could have under 30 putts. If i had a handicap i would be off around 16 and i don't think i've ever had 30 putts

I wish i could have under 30 putts. If i had a handicap i would be off around 16 and i don't think i've ever had 30 putts
So let's say you average 36 putts which is what the course gives you. Improve your putting to 30 putts and you're one stroke from being a single handicapper. Your not expected to make things outside 10' and we shouldn't miss inside 3' so it's the 3-10' range that is the key distance to practice. Also getting chips inside that 10' range is very important.
Your average to the green is 2.88 shots. Even if that blows out to 3 shots but you shoot the lights out putting with 26 for the round, you're hitting 80.
I'm not saying all this to you specifically, but this is my approach to give my game clarity. A poor tee shot requires a simple recovery onto the fairway with as little risk as possible. I never try to hit my 2 iron 160m under the trees with a draw, i.e the miraculous shot. Hit my 3rd from the fairway, make the green and hope for a one putt for par. I miss for 5 and l deserve it, I hit a poor tee shot and that's my penalty. The key is to get a par putt. You might make 3 or 4 in a round if you putt well. Also your not losing shots by rooting up that miracle recovery which you might make once out of 6 shots (that is make par, no one birdies those shots statistically) and you'll probably finish worse than bogey 3 or 4 times. I was around 12-14 handicap for years until I took out the desperate recovery from a poor tee shot and really worked on 7' putts and shorter (the length of my putting mat). I don't hit the ball further, maybe a little straighter, but I don't put pressure on myself to hit shots I can't. Course management like this helps me think more clearly on the course. Bad tee shot? Take my medicine and knock it out. Bad 3rd, back my chipping to put it closer than 7'. Knock in for bogey. Not bad for a hole with 2 poor shots and I haven't lost my sh!t which is equally important.

s**t I fear we might see a bit of this

I'd love to get my short game to the point where putting becomes a formality. Getting the pitch or chip (or even a lag putt from off the green) within tap-in distance would cut down on total putts
Tap in distance is pretty tough. A drill I did was go to your local park (hard now l know) with 10 or 15 balls. Imagine at address your club is at 6 o'clock. Take the club back to 9 o'clock and hit. DON'T LOOK WHERE THE BALL GOES. Keep your head down for as long as it takes to hit all of the balls. Try as much as possible to do the same swing. Once you've hit all of the balls, you can look up. As best as you can pace out from where you hit until your standing in the middle of your balls. Should be maybe 20ish paces. Now when your near the green and chipping, quickly pace out the distance to the flag from your ball. If it's less or right on the number of paces, then the 9 o'clock swing (or a bit less) is the swing for that shot. Get all of the points of the 'club clock' paced out from 7 to maybe 11 o'clock. What this does is matches a distance to a swing rather than a swing to a distance if that makes sense. You won't need to imagine how hard to hit the ball, you'll know how far to swing your club back because of the distance. The key is the consistent swing force, but a bit of practice will get it right. From there you'll see the distance putt you most commonly have, and that's the next thing to practice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tap in distance is pretty tough. A drill I did was go to your local park (hard now l know) with 10 or 15 balls. Imagine at address your club is at 6 o'clock. Take the club back to 9 o'clock and hit. DON'T LOOK WHERE THE BALL GOES. Keep your head down for as long as it takes to hit all of the balls. Try as much as possible to do the same swing. Once you've hit all of the balls, you can look up. As best as you can pace out from where you hit until your standing in the middle of your balls. Should be maybe 20ish paces. Now when your near the green and chipping, quickly pace out the distance to the flag from your ball. If it's less or right on the number of paces, then the 9 o'clock swing (or a bit less) is the swing for that shot. Get all of the points of the 'club clock' paced out from 7 to maybe 11 o'clock. What this does is matches a distance to a swing rather than a swing to a distance if that makes sense. You won't need to imagine how hard to hit the ball, you'll know how far to swing your club back because of the distance. The key is the consistent swing force, but a bit of practice will get it right. From there you'll see the distance putt you most commonly have, and that's the next thing to practice.

Then take into account wind, incline, decline, temperature hahaha

If you can putt, putt
If you cant putt, bump and run
If you cant bump and run, chip.etc
Interesting one...bit of a self fulfilling prophecy. I agree to a point but when you are forced to chip, your confidence will be lower over time by avoiding it. If you are young, with nerves of steel...and good with your wedges...keep doing it! If you are struggling then yes. If you can, have a nice balance of all 3 methods it would be ideal I suppose.

Last edited:
Interesting one...bit of a self fulfilling prophecy. I agree to a point but when you are forced to chip, your confidence will be lower over time by avoiding it. If you are young, with nerves of steel...and good with your wedges...keep doing it! If you are struggling then yes. If you can, have a nice balance of all 3 methods it would be ideal I suppose.
It depends. Are you protecting a score, playing %s, social hit, or playing stroke and club champs? Golf is about %s. Practice time is excellent for teh chips.

Yes you need to learn to chip, but if you arent proficient on the day, putt. Or hybrid it. Or pick up.

It depends. Are you protecting a score, playing %s, social hit, or playing stroke and club champs? Golf is about %s. Practice time is excellent for teh chips.

Yes you need to learn to chip, but if you arent proficient on the day, putt. Or hybrid it. Or pick up.
Believe me..over the past few years I have been really struggling in this area. And it used to be the strongest part of my game. I would love to be able to be so confident again but I am not so sure that is going to happen. I putt more nowadays....hoping to use 9 irons bump and run when i can, when we get back. But the less I do it...the more the pressure I am going to feel when I have to do it...and the more likely I will not execute.

When your brain is muddled like mine (I seem to yip my chips sometimes...wtf)....putting becomes the best option and increases percentages for sure. Its hard because I have literally 1000s of up and downs banked using wedges, and when I was scoring at my best my wedge play was very good. I do not score as well now but am more conservative in this area.

Comes back to course condition and course styles a bit too. Dormant couch tight lies are tough and are best for running/putt...but the lush wetter winter old fashioned type grasses on some publics are more suited to getting the ball up in the air.

Last edited:
Believe me..over the past few years I have been really struggling in this area. And it used to be the strongest part of my game. I would love to be able to be so confident again but I am not so sure that is going to happen. I putt more nowadays....hoping to use 9 irons bump and run when i can, when we get back. But the less I do it...the more the pressure I am going to feel when I have to do it...and the more likely I will not execute.

When your brain is muddled like mine (I seem to yip my chips sometimes...wtf)....putting becomes the best option and increases percentages for sure. Its hard because I have literally 1000s of up and downs banked using wedges, and when I was scoring at my best my wedge play was very good. I do not score as well now but am more conservative in this area.

Comes back to course condition and course styles a bit too. Dormant couch tight lies are tough and are best for running/putt...but the lush wetter winter old fashioned type grasses on some publics are more suited to getting the ball up in the air.
Agreed, on tight lies, you must be exact and precise. Very little room for error.

Agreed, on tight lies, you must be exact and precise. Very little room for error.
Its funny we comment a lot on things....but everyone's journeys are very different...and our experience leads us to think certain ways.

You play on courses where generally you can putt because conditions are so good, unless there is a bunker in the way. Where I play you might have 10 feet of approach to deal with...and you will have long grass, a mound with a muddy spot, then more uneven grassy areas and then a fairly average green to deal with. My bro always putts and is at me to do the same...but I do not see him getting up and down every time...and when he is forced to play a high soft wedge it is hit and miss.

I had 23 points on Tuesday but my swing fell apart. We were only a group of two. My playing partner started giving me swing lessons on the last hole. We also stayed on the last (9th hole) and he was giving me chipping tips). It was very productive. I’ll owe him plenty of beers if I come good.
28 points yesterday in tough conditions. It should’ve been more but I lost focus after my fifth wash on the 14th hole. Also, a swing change can’t be done on the course.

Yeah plan to.

shot 134 today. Probably better than last week as last week I was pretty generous with myself and not taking it seriously (brought out the foot wedge a bit)

lots to work on, very poor mid range. Surprisingly driving was about average. Saved myself with some good long putts.

Enjoyable for my first dead serious round of 18 (I was just given a default max handicap without submitting cards) despite being sh*t

120 on the dot today. Improvement. Work this afternoon and a day off tomorrow for another 18.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back