80​
-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:
Played my worst ever recorded round today, the kind of round that questions why you bother when after a year of practice I still can't play golf.

65 off 9 holes at Chelsea Public. Was literally 4 putting holes, could barely hit a fairway, struggling to get irons off the ground, lost 2 balls, one on the first hole, missing them left, right topping them. Changed my swing basically every shot because nothing was working, changed my putting stroke/setup every hole. Awful, awful day. Closest I've come to breaking a club when my 54 wedge was at serious risk today.
Hang in there...you have to have bad days to have good ones. Trust what you are working on...not too many things at once. Sometimes you simply do not see the benefits of doing something correctly straight away.

I once watched a video of someone explaining...imagine a circle...a pro would fill 90% of that circle with knowledge. A beginner at 10%. After 1 year you are going ok. Each time you play/practice/see a pro...you are slowly...very slowly filling it up. And you will improve.

Hang in there...you have to have bad days to have good ones. Trust what you are working on...not too many things at once. Sometimes you simply do not see the benefits of doing something correctly straight away.

I once watched a video of someone explaining...imagine a circle...a pro would fill 90% of that circle with knowledge. A beginner at 10%. After 1 year you are going ok. Each time you play/practice/see a pro...you are slowly...very slowly filling it up. And you will improve.
Heading to see my coach tomorrow, back on the horse.

Played Goonawarra on Friday and got my best score as of now.
83 off the stick. Course is Par 70. Still room for some improvement.

Don't have an official Handicap as I just play with a few different friends semi regularly.
Usually try to keep a score of bogey or better for the day (18 handicap).

Bloody amazing what the enforced lay off did to my game, and it wasn’t even that long really. I have hit some of the worst shots I have ever hit in my life, some sideways.
cant hit a fairway, live in the trees, touch around greens gone and scoring that badly my handicap has gone out 3.5 since the return! I can’t even get over 20 stableford points.
Yesterday once again I was 8 points after 11 holes and so disenchanted I was contemplating having a rest from golf, but then kept on thinking look what it had done to me? Mind nowhere near the golf course then suddenly I started to hit a few and my swing felt normal completely out of nowhere. If somebody had told me I’d walk off a course with 24 points feeling great I’d have said they were mad.
Hopefully it’s starting to turn.

Bloody amazing what the enforced lay off did to my game, and it wasn’t even that long really. I have hit some of the worst shots I have ever hit in my life, some sideways.
cant hit a fairway, live in the trees, touch around greens gone and scoring that badly my handicap has gone out 3.5 since the return! I can’t even get over 20 stableford points.
Yesterday once again I was 8 points after 11 holes and so disenchanted I was contemplating having a rest from golf, but then kept on thinking look what it had done to me? Mind nowhere near the golf course then suddenly I started to hit a few and my swing felt normal completely out of nowhere. If somebody had told me I’d walk off a course with 24 points feeling great I’d have said they were mad.
It's the golfing tide. It comes in, it goes out.

Chipping and putting are really killing me at the moment. Went to royal park twice in as many days. Shot a 51 and 54. Averaged 2.7 puts per hole. My driving and irons aren't That bad, but with time will improve. If I can have 5-7 less putts per round my scores will be so much better. I'm very much a beginner.

Anyone have/had the same problem?

Chipping and putting are really killing me at the moment. Went to royal park twice in as many days. Shot a 51 and 54. Averaged 2.7 puts per hole. My driving and irons aren't That bad, but with time will improve. If I can have 5-7 less putts per round my scores will be so much better. I'm very much a beginner.

I'd say pretty much everyone. As much as club manufacturers want you to believe that your clubs are the problem to lowering your score, it's your short game that is the secret to low scores.

It's the golfing tide. It comes in, it goes out.
It does mate but in the 40 years I’ve played I’ve never been in seas that rough!

You’re a beginner. It gets easier. Putting and chipping are the first thing to go when you’re not practicing. Play more and practice and it will get easier.

Courses are insanely busy at the moment, when do people think it will die down?

We’ve had 6500 rounds at national (cap Schanck) over 18 day span. It’s busy!!

Winter comes and players die off.

Got the afternoon off on Tuesday .Anyone wanna have a hit? In Melbourne, preferably around 36 handicap? Don't wanna slow all you low handicappers down. Or maybe somebody who wants to play a round and show me a thing or 12?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got the afternoon off on Tuesday .Anyone wanna have a hit? In Melbourne, preferably around 36 handicap? Don't wanna slow all you low handicappers down. Or maybe somebody who wants to play a round and show me a thing or 12?
You should try to play with low handicappers as much as possible.

At least when it does turn you are 3 to 4 shots better off in comps

At least when it does turn you are 3 to 4 shots better off in comps
Yeah I’m already dreading the bandit calls! I’m copping it already and i‘m
Still playing s**t! Will be interesting playing off a mark I haven’t for God knows how long, maybe 30 years?

Yeah I’m already dreading the bandit calls! I’m copping it already and i‘m
Still playing s**t! Will be interesting playing off a mark I haven’t for God knows how long, maybe 30 years?
Cannot help myself...every time you post in the Golf section...Caddyshack thoughts take over my mind :laughing:

My advice, it IS natural to think high handicapper (ie 36) is gonna slow everyone down.....but its not cut n dry. Ive seen scratch golfers take their time and play slowly. Any golfer worth their salt would not have issue with a round with said 36er at all. We were all once off something higher.

First game since lockdown. Royal Melbourne West. Was great being back out there and super relaxing with 10 min spacing between groups.

Personally not sure I'd enjoy social golf at overcrowded public courses at present. But terrific that our sport is back in demand.

First game since lockdown. Royal Melbourne West. Was great being back out there and super relaxing with 10 min spacing between groups.

Personally not sure I'd enjoy social golf at overcrowded public courses at present. But terrific that our sport is back in demand.
We’re back to 4hrs 15-20mins rounds. The scoring app is a big plus. I had 32pts Sunday and 33 today.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back