80​
-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:
Thinking about purchasing a driving iron. Anyone use one? I will replace my driver with it if I find it helpful
Like toxic said don’t replace the driver. I used to take the 5 iron out of the bag instead. If not that club, I’d ditch the rescue instead depending on the course. The only reason I sold my Titleist 2 iron was because it was a blade and as I got older it became harder to hit.

Like toxic said don’t replace the driver. I used to take the 5 iron out of the bag instead. If not that club, I’d ditch the rescue instead depending on the course. The only reason I sold my Titleist 2 iron was because it was a blade and as I got older it became harder to hit.
Might replace my 4 iron instead. If I buy a 2 iron and I've got a 5 I won't really be missing too much either way.

Also need a new 6 iron.

Thinking about purchasing a driving iron. Anyone use one? I will replace my driver with it if I find it helpful

I have a Srixon driving iron. It’s great off the tee for keeping under the wind. But I actually find it most useful for pitching out from under trees advancing the ball 120m up the fairway. Which I need to do a lot...

Don’t replace the driver I reckon. Been there, tried that. The size of the club face makes a driver easier to hit and if you’re having a bad day and you thin, chunk or fat the relatively tiny faced long iron not only are you in the trees you’re still 300m from the hole.

Maybe choke up on the driver instead.

I have a Srixon driving iron. It’s great off the tee for keeping under the wind. But I actually find it most useful for pitching out from under trees advancing the ball 120m up the fairway. Which I need to do a lot...

Don’t replace the driver I reckon. Been there, tried that. The size of the club face makes a driver easier to hit and if you’re having a bad day and you thin, chunk or fat the relatively tiny faced long iron not only are you in the trees you’re still 300m from the hole.

Maybe choke up on the driver instead.
I'm pretty s**t. I'll try anything to get better. Trying to get my HC under 20 by the end of the year. Which is made harder by a premier who has done more damage than a virus could.

But next year I'm going to try and get down to 18 from 25. Gonna be hard but see how we go.

Can anyone make sense of why there can be thousands of people in local parks at one time and up to 10 people from two homes in an outdoor area but we can't play golf in fours? ******* joke. Absolute madness.
I think it's because golf courses can open in general (Govt.) but how they open is dictated by Golf Australia. In Tassie when we were in lock down, Govt here came out and said you can play golf (with other outdoor activities like fishing)and hours later Golf Aust. said you couldn't. So we couldn't. I could be wrong though.

Our course opened two holes on Saturday. We have a whole new 7th which is now a 250m (from 320) par 4. Meant to be a driveable risk/reward hole and a bit straighter so that slices off of the tee don't land on the 6th fairway which was a worry for the club. Pot bunker in the middle of the fairway about 230m form the tee, gives you something to think about. Fairway is quite undulating, I think to push balls sideways. I haven't played it enough to know all of the nuances but like all short par 4's, hitting 2x 9 irons may be the best play. Greens are a different grass but at 1st try they didn't seem too much different (speed) which is good. Have a new tee on the 8th which needed to be moved to accommodate the new 7th fairway. 8th is a par 3 so its obviously has a different line of approach now, not as difficult now to the eye as part of the old angle meant shooting over some bunkers (kidney shaped green sort of) whereas now we're shooting straight up the green with not too many place to hide the pin. We have a massive new chipping green and new tees on one of the driving ranges making it look really, really nice. Members hitting their own balls need to hit off at the old main (Eastern) range while the new one is for club balls and lessons. Only problem is that the new western practice range tees face west, so hitting into the sun can be a problem.
I liked the old 7th which had a dogleg (slight) off the tee which was fun trying to hit a fade around. I can hit a good cut but a 15m fade is difficult for me. That was the only hole that really called for that shot, so I'm a bit sad to see it go. There could be one that pops up in the changes on other holes. It'll be interesting to hear feedback on the new 7th from the big hitters who can drive the green. Green is guarded by 2 pot bunkers and steep banks. If the tees are up then a lot more regular hitters will be able to take on the green which is the aim to make it more fun. Old 7th was driveable to the big hitters (Ricky Ponting has done it I've been told.) but the rest of us normal people could only go for position off of the tee.
The aesthetics of the new changes are great. Simple things like new bins/ball washers/seats all make it look good. Chipping green with 10x flags and the practice fairway with multiple terraced tees look great.
So there you go.

I’m pretty glad to contribute to this thread again.

2 games back and a social round of 9.

32 points playing a course for the first time. Greens were tough to read. Super happy though, as had to take two unplayables with the ball resting just next to a tree.

29 points Saturday, but the greens were underwater so it wasn’t really reflective (social scoring as my club had shut due to water).

Everything except bunker shots are feeling good from months of lockdown practice. 38 points coming up this week.

Anyone shed some light on putting? Always at a minimum have two every hole. Reading the greens is killing me. Can easily take 10 off my score

Anyone shed some light on putting? Always at a minimum have two every hole. Reading the greens is killing me. Can easily take 10 off my score
Speed and accuracy.

Two putts good (depending on handicap). 3 putts generally a no no, but also dependant on the green size.

Practice, practice, practice.
Bt seriously, what is the issue reading the greens? Pace/line or both?
Some very general tips.
Amatures tend to under read putts, that is the ball will finish on the low side of the slope ( we often hit it too much straight at the hole). This is really relevant for hard/fast greens that peternorth would be playing everyday.
If the greens are slower, you can aim straight for the hole much more confidently. If this is the case, I would play a round lining the putt up imaging where the ball might go if I hit it straight at the cup and then do that, seeing how close my read was. On most suburban greens, for putts around the 10-15ft distance, normally you don't need to aim more than 2 or 3 cups outside the hole, ball just won't move that far.
Keep in mind that the distance you really, really, really, really need to practice is inside 10ft. Statistically, over that distance is two putts, even for pros. Get a putting mat for home and just keep knocking those 5ft'ers in. IT's really that simple. Inside 5ft is one putt territory everyday of the week. If none of your putts are that distance (further) you need to practice your chipping as much as your putting.

Speed and accuracy.

Two putts good (depending on handicap). 3 putts generally a no no, but also dependant on the green size.
Mate was telling me less than 60 total ventured out on Saturday at National (3 courses combined)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some very general tips.
Amatures tend to under read putts, that is the ball will finish on the low side of the slope ( we often hit it too much straight at the hole). This is really relevant for hard/fast greens that peternorth would be playing everyday.
If the greens are slower, you can aim straight for the hole much more confidently. If this is the case, I would play a round lining the putt up imaging where the ball might go if I hit it straight at the cup and then do that, seeing how close my read was. On most suburban greens, for putts around the 10-15ft distance, normally you don't need to aim more than 2 or 3 cups outside the hole, ball just won't move that far.
Keep in mind that the distance you really, really, really, really need to practice is inside 10ft. Statistically, over that distance is two putts, even for pros. Get a putting mat for home and just keep knocking those 5ft'ers in. IT's really that simple. Inside 5ft is one putt territory everyday of the week. If none of your putts are that distance (further) you need to practice your chipping as much as your putting.
It's the line.

I played 18 at royal Park yesterday. Went around twice. Had 45 putts. So frustrating. I was on the dance floor in regulation 6 times. Not a single birdie.

When they open up all practice areas I'll put a lot of work in.

Apologies for the double post. Haven't got much time. My partner and I recently moved house. Happens by absolute chance to have a gate that backs onto the Edithvale golf course. Haven't played it yet. I want to become a member. Anyone here a member there? What are the fees? What is included in your fees? Never been a member before.

Thanks in advance.

Speed and accuracy.

I'm not a great putter so I know if i can keep it to 32-34 for the round I'm generally pretty happy

It's the line.

I played 18 at royal Park yesterday. Went around twice. Had 45 putts. So frustrating. I was on the dance floor in regulation 6 times. Not a single birdie.

When they open up all practice areas I'll put a lot of work in.
It really comes down to this distance of those birdie putts and then the scrambling putts. https://www.scottsackett.com/putting-probabilities/
Maybe keep track of where the putts are finishing (low side or high side) to see if you need to be a bit braver/conservative?

Somehow I have hit some rare and consistent form over the past 5 weeks, Saturday scores of 34, 36, 36, 37 and 39 has seen my handicap crunched from 20 to 15 across those 5 rounds. The 39 was also by far my best stroke score ever 85, previous best was 89.

I can sense a very firm crashing back down to earth score just around the corner, I’ll ride the wave for as long as possible though!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Some very general tips.

Great advice. short putts is where its at. LONG putts, get it to within 1-1.5m. If it goes in, bonus

Mate was telling me less than 60 total ventured out on Saturday at National (3 courses combined)

Does not surprise me. Mate a member?

Surely groups of 4 back on in metro melb and ranges/other facilities open as well.
I’ve seen plenty of people just bloody doing it anyway.

Yeah the one and only time I've played since we've been allowed back I saw a group of 4 and also barely anyone wearing masks. That includes myself, was pretty unbearable playing in a mask.
My brother was nearly assaulted by an old fella because his mask was under chin on our 16th hole. lol. Did not help when my bro said...thank you sir for caring about my health.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back